What book are you reading

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: What book are you reading

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I have downloaded The Wheel of Time books by Robert Jordan. I began the other day and it is one of my resolutions to read them in 2018.

Can’t put it down so far.

Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
TG3N
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by TG3N »

Due to a disrupted time recently, I've ill-advisedly found myself in the middle of three books, but at least one will remain unfinished:

A) 'The Gods Eye View' - Barry Eisler
To be abandoned 85% unfinished. Normally I soldier on, but unlike his superlative 'John Rain' series, Eisler's characterisation in this novel never rises above the clumsy & base, with the consequence that it reads like an (albeit well-researched & timely) rant about the dangers of Government surveillance of the individual.

B) 'The Midnight Line' - Lee Child
About 70% completed, but set aside. I'll probably finish, even though it's as deeply average as all his other 'Jack Reacher' novels in recent years. I really adored the early novels in the series, but Mr Child seems to have since reached the tired "just make sure the advance cheque clears" stage with this character. My father-in-law keeps buying me them, God bless him, so I expect I'll keep on wading through them until either Mr Child or I dies, or until the near-indestructible Jack Reacher finally meets a nuclear warhead he can't punch in the face or kick in the crown jewels.

C) 'A Man's World: The Double Life of Emile Griffith' - Donald McRae
Terrific true account of Emile Griffith, a bisexual, black, three-weight 1960's World Champion boxer, who killed a man in the ring, and his struggle with his double life. Best summed-up by a quote from Griffith himself: “I kill a man and most people forgive me. I love a man and many say this makes me an evil person.” Excellent, but tragic.
bspj
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by bspj »

Isaacson's Leonardo da Vinci
Borg's Meeting Jesus Again For The First Time
Steve
Bertl
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 0

Post by Bertl »

Was man von hier aus sehen kann
Mariana Leky
josbrownlie
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 9

Post by josbrownlie »

I've just finished reading Private Peaceful by Michael Morpurgo. Yup that's right, another actual book read! Interesting read all about the first world war.
C9 x5, C60 x3, C65 x1, Steinhart x2, CIGA Design, Jean Marcel, WT Author, Breitling & MSTR
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by FloridaPhil »

Watching the Wheels by Damon Hill
WatchChat on Facebook
The friendliest watch group on Facebook chatting about our watch passion and whatever else happens to come up.
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

FloridaPhil wrote:Watching the Wheels by Damon Hill
:thumbup: Got it sat on a bookshelf waiting for me to pick it up.

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

Since Christmas I now have a proper book! Time to put the Viz down and start reading 'Cas Tigers – The Breakthrough Year!'
blowfish89
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
LE-three: yes

Post by blowfish89 »

Origins - Dan Brown
josbrownlie
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 9

Post by josbrownlie »

I'm 33% through Fire and Fury (Unabridged) by Michael Wolff, narrated by Michael Wolff, Holter Graham on my Audible app.

Try Audible and get it free. @audibleuk
C9 x5, C60 x3, C65 x1, Steinhart x2, CIGA Design, Jean Marcel, WT Author, Breitling & MSTR
Superthrust
Senior
Senior

Post by Superthrust »

Just started 'the storm before the storm'. Loved the history of Rome podcast and I find this part of the story to be fairly under documented.
neiltallen
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 0

What book are you reading thread!

Post by neiltallen »

As there are a host of threads dealing with music, drink, and watches, thought I would start one about books.
I travel a lot with work and don’t watch telly in the UK, let alone a abroad so I spend most of my down time reading books. Currently working my way through the Lee Child Jack Reacher Novels (The Hard Way is the current read).
I think one thing I have realised over the years, that as an avid reader of fiction (I have all / read Stephen King, James Herbert, Dan Brown, Arthur C Clarke to name but a few), is that I have no non-fiction books in my “library”.

Perhaps to make this thread more interesting (assuming it is read!), the collective could answer the following questions.
1. What book are you reading at the moment?
2. What book would you recommend to someone else?
3. What Non-fiction book would you suggest for me?

For me.

1. See above - The Hard Way
2. Tricky – too many Stephen King books to choose from – so i would plump for "Different Season". This includes 4 short stories, one being titled "Rita Hayworth & The Shawshank Redemption" (to give its full title), which is one of the few books that the film follows religiously (most of his books do not translate to the cinema), and "The Body" is also included (better known a the film Stand by Me with River Phoenix)
3. Not for me to answer – as I travel abroad a lot I recognise that despite my 45 years living in the UK I know bugger all about our history (World Wars aside), so I should like to try and increase my UK History Knowledge.

Anyway – must get back to reading my book. Thanks for reading (no pun intended).

Thanks for viewing.

Neil
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Re: What book are you reading thread!

Post by nbg »

Hi Neil

There is already a thread running, but no one has posted on it since January.
http://www.christopherwardforum.com/vie ... &start=405

I have also been reading the Jack Reacher books. Saw my wife reading them, which rather surprised me, as she doesn’t usually read books of that genre, so thought I would give them a go.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
reggie747
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by reggie747 »

The unofficial biography of Mohamed Al Fayed by Tom Bower
Fluffy cuddly kittens and little puppy dogs.......????
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by timor54 »

Just finished re-reading the Karla trilogy (Tinker Tailor, Hon. Schoolboy, Smileys People). Still very good after many years. Also Hired: six months undercover in low-wage Britain by James Bloodworth; it’ll make you question why you would buy anything from Amazon ever again :(

Currently reading: McMafia by Misha Glenny; a revelation on how the world really works.

Also just starting WTF by Robert Peston.

I’m predominantly a nonfiction reader that occasionally dips back into fiction.
Tim