Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
jimbo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

What book are you reading

Post by jimbo »

Wondered what you sort of books you are all read

I'm currently on "Fields of Fire" by James Webb, a first class book on the Vietnam war, I think it's the third time Ive picked it up over the years Ive had it, it's a great book for any ex squaddie, or anyone into war fiction. The author does know his stuff though as an ex Vietnam vet, purple hearts/silver star, and tells a very heartfelt story, and I think a little of how he saw it.

If you see it, buy it, you will be shocked at, laugh at , and feel for all....well some of the characters, the way he describes much of it you have difficulty putting it down
Remember...your left hand has the thumb on the right hand side
gwells
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Re: What book are you reading

Post by gwells »

just finished reading book one of the wheel of time series and episode 2 of john scalzi's 13 week serial book "the human division (walk the plank)."

started a new series this weekend. gabriel's redemption.
the "g" is for Greg...
AliBar
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by AliBar »

My addictive personality tends to get me following authors complete works... of various genres I would add. Currently progressing through Lee Child's "Jack Reacher" books, one of which is the basis of the current Reacher film starring Tom Cruise.

The books are cracking thrillers and the film ain't bad. Having read any of the books you might find it hard to reconcile the book's title character... being 6' 5" and 200lbs plus, with the film version of a half pint actor who must also be about half that weight when dripping wet :).

Never without a book on the go and e-books have been a revelation. With a lot of "the classics" being freebies on Kindle I've now read plenty of those "essential reads" that I couldn't be bothered with as a kid. In a vague way I keep going back to the BBC's "Top 100 books" of all time and picking the odd one off.
Alastair.

Double Member of the C80 Owners Club
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I have several on the go:

George R.R. Martin - A Song of Ice & Fire. Currently working my way through Book IV

Dave Sobel - The Planets and Galileo's Daughter

Philip Pullman - His Dark Materials trilogy (re-reading in preparation for leading a reading group with 13-y-o pupils next term! :scared: )
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
cholmes
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by cholmes »

Just finished Mark Helprin's new book, "In Sunlight and In Shadow" and am about to start, "Flight Behavior".
Mr Rick
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 17

Post by Mr Rick »

I just started "The Most Dangerous Enemy" by Stephen Bungay. I'm currently trying to expand my limited knowledge of the Battle of Britain.
Rick

Various vintage Heuers
CW C8 Pilot MK I and II, 2011 and 13 FLEs, C5 B of B and Malvern Aviator MK II, C11 MSL MK I, C70 DBR1, C60 and C60 GMT, C9 Harrison, C9 Chrono, C10 Aviator
paw3001
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by paw3001 »

Read a wide range of books, from fiction, non-fiction, business to comics

Currently, working through the Jack Reacher novels by Lee Child. Easy read and good fun when you just need to phase out. Discovered on a long haul flight. Now on book 3 of about 19 (I think)
Watches - Too many but not enough!
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Post by MiniMpi »

Clive Cussler is who I read, also Josh Ritter's (song writer) first novel ;)
gwells
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by gwells »

i've only read the first reacher novel, but i definitely did a double take when i heard that tiny little tom cruise was going to play reacher. i just can't rectify that in my head enough to go see it.
the "g" is for Greg...
paw3001
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by paw3001 »

gwells wrote:i've only read the first reacher novel, but i definitely did a double take when i heard that tiny little tom cruise was going to play reacher. i just can't rectify that in my head enough to go see it.
I know, it just doesn't work!
Watches - Too many but not enough!
chip247
Senior
Senior

Post by chip247 »

gwells wrote:just finished reading book one of the wheel of time series and episode 2 of john scalzi's 13 week serial book "the human division (walk the plank)."

started a new series this weekend. gabriel's redemption.
oohh interesting i've been tempted to dive into the wheel of time series, would you recommend?

I'm presently reading long earth for the second time, hoping it is better second time around, for a terry pratchett/ stephen baxter collaboration i was very disappointed first time round.
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

chip247 wrote:oohh interesting i've been tempted to dive into the wheel of time series, would you recommend?
I've tried twice and not got beyond Book 4. As soon as I know I'm in for yet another of the main character's identical 20-page nightmares I feel like throwing it out of the window! :(
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
gwells
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by gwells »

i've only read book one, so while i enjoyed it, i still fear some of the mid-series "omg get on with it please" comments i've seen. we'll see.

as far as the scalzi stuff, i've yet to read anything of his (including the majority of his blog) that i don't enjoy.
the "g" is for Greg...
28800bph
"Asylum Knight of the Diver"

Post by 28800bph »

I'm reading:

U.S. Regulation of the International Securities and Derivatives Markets, by Edward Green.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Just finished "Marion: A History of the United States Watch Company" by William Muir and Bernard Kraus.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.