Future of watches threatened in UK

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
Euromance
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 3

Future of watches threatened in UK

Post by Euromance »

I just read the following in my local newspaper: 'More than 25% of all Brits have banned their watch because they use their mobile phone if they want to know the time. British watchmakers are reportedly very nervous about this new trend. Especially youngsters younger then 35 no longer fancy a great watch: 4 out of 10 claim to be using other tools to read time....' According to the article this changing trend is remarkably manifest in the UK, even though one can see a worldwide loss of interest in watches.
I personally feel that the above will mainly impact the lower end of the market. I guess high quality watches will always have their fan base.
Cirrus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Re: Future of watches threatened in UK

Post by Cirrus »

Funny old thing, but I stopped wearing a watch for many years as I had the time always to hand on my mobile... but now that my mobiles are worth more than (most of) my watches and live in cases which live in my pocket and which need about 5 stages of unlocking to access I am back to wearing watches again - its just more convenient ;)
“The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the church” - Fernão de Magalhães
poppydoodlesdad
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by poppydoodlesdad »

I had heard similar things and agree it is more likely to effect the lower end, the more exclusive watches trade on their brand anyway.

I have never used my mobile to tell the time (though I do use it to set the time on my watches) for much the same reason as Cirrus. However, I do work with teenagers and many of them use their phones for exactly that purpose. Interestingly many of them still wear watches but more as fashion accessories rather than timepieces. I had one the other day whose watch had stopped but she continued to wear it as she used her phone for the time anyway!

If it is worth anything, I am doing my best to promote watch wearing among the young, though I fear I am fighting a losing battle :D
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Some watches
highway62

Post by highway62 »

Since when is wearing a watch about telling the time??? :lol:
Jammy Devil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
LE-three: yes

Post by Jammy Devil »

The good folk of "Trumpton" never needed a watch, they had a big clock to tell the time, never too quickly, never too slowly.

No accuracy problems in "Trumpton" ! :thumbup:

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Throbbe
Senior
Senior

Post by Throbbe »

highway62 wrote:Since when is wearing a watch about telling the time??? :lol:
Indeed, any watch costing more than £20 is jewellery. :wink:
poppydoodlesdad
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

highway62 wrote:Since when is wearing a watch about telling the time??? :lol:
I've always considered it de rigueur......
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Some watches
moriarty
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 10

Post by moriarty »

It will probably go full circle and people will use their watches to make phone calls 8)
Moriarty

C9 JH Mk 2 C70 MC C600 C60 GMT C5 Mk 1 x 3 N22 CCC
Breitling SOHC LE / Navitimer '52 Omega '52 JLC Ebel Beluga Manchette Bulova Accutron Hamilton Ventura 80's Gucci Citizen Eco AT's 'Bambinos' 'Blue Mako' Seiko LE Kemmner Skeleton...
jack
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by jack »

Not a new story, I read something about this a couple of years back. The younger market will bin watches I suppose as it is an additional cost when they all carry phones and other gadgets that tell the time. I susprect they will start aquiring watches when they get a bit older and wealthier. There will always be a good market for watches I think.

Cheers,
Jack.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

I have read these stories as well. It would make you wonder why so many watch brands, with more appearing annually, if everyone is not wearing them. :problem:
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
moriarty
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 10

Post by moriarty »

I guess that it is only the young who go around permanently staring at a mobile phone, hoping that someone has sent them a text.

Having to get my mobile phone out of my pocket would be far too inconvenient way of immediately knowing the time.
Moriarty

C9 JH Mk 2 C70 MC C600 C60 GMT C5 Mk 1 x 3 N22 CCC
Breitling SOHC LE / Navitimer '52 Omega '52 JLC Ebel Beluga Manchette Bulova Accutron Hamilton Ventura 80's Gucci Citizen Eco AT's 'Bambinos' 'Blue Mako' Seiko LE Kemmner Skeleton...
skimrok
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4
LE-fourb: yes

Post by skimrok »

well for many years i used to use my mobile for the time "matter of fact about 10 years" then suddenly this year i want a collection of watches, fade? phaze? or new intrest which will continue for many years to come?

watch the space he!he!
Steve

C9 Blue LE /C60 Black
Also other various brands in my collection
ianblyth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 19
LE-two: yes
LE-five: Yes
LE-six: Yes

Post by ianblyth »

There are also people who buy a £10 Casio and that is their watch for years. Luckily for watch manufacturers there are nutters that will pay more than £19 for a watch and more than that, buy lots of them. :lol:

And people do change. My favourite quote from Jung.
“Thoroughly unprepared, we take the step into the afternoon of life. Worse still, we take this step with the false presupposition that our truths and our ideals will serve us as hitherto. But we cannot live the afternoon of life according to the program of life’s morning, for what was great in the morning will be little at evening and what in the morning was true, at evening will have become a lie.”

― C.G. Jung
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." Anais Nin
poppydoodlesdad
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Some watches