A quickie for the photographers

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
FieryTowse
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 4

A quickie for the photographers

Post by FieryTowse »

I'm looking at getting my first DSLR before the year is out, probably an entry level Nikon or Canon. I've been cutting my teeth using a Panasonic Lumix FZ38 with a equivalent focal length range of 27-486mm and apertures range of f/2.8 to f/8. Aperture priority has replaced Intelligent Auto as my new best friend.

The question is this:- Will I feel restricted by the stock kit lens (18-55mm, f/3.5-f/5.6) or does it still give plenty of scope to experiment?

I realise that different types of photography demand different lenses but I'd like to try a good variation without feeling the need to start buying additional lenses.
C3SKK/SKS
C11 KVKT
Omega Geneve Dynamic 135.0033 manual wind
Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra 231.10.42.21.02.003
Omega Seamaster 300 Master Co-Axial 233.30.41.21.01.001
Steinhart Ocean Two
Rolex GMT-Master II 126710BLNR
downer

Re: A quickie for the photographers

Post by downer »

FieryTowse wrote:I'm looking at getting my first DSLR before the year is out, probably an entry level Nikon or Canon. I've been cutting my teeth using a Panasonic Lumix FZ38 with a equivalent focal length range of 27-486mm and apertures range of f/2.8 to f/8. Aperture priority has replaced Intelligent Auto as my new best friend.

The question is this:- Will I feel restricted by the stock kit lens (18-55mm, f/3.5-f/5.6) or does it still give plenty of scope to experiment?

I realise that different types of photography demand different lenses but I'd like to try a good variation without feeling the need to start buying additional lenses.
Although there is plenty of range in the 18-55 lens, you may feel frustrated that you cannot get really close to anything.. particularly after using a super zoom like the FZ38.

If it were possible to buy a kit including an 18-135, I think it would last a lot longer before you felt the need to buy another lens.

The other alternative is to try to buy a bundle with 18-55 and 55-250. This covers a lot of bases and generally offers great value for money.
Richard
erikkullgren

Post by erikkullgren »

Going for a 55-250 version is great, since you very rarely need anything else. However, they are on the heavy side and your girlfriend will never agree to carry the camera in her handbag because of the weight. I know.. =)
binnserelli
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 6
LE-three: yes

Post by binnserelli »

The most important thing is actually the quality of lens rather than the camera body itself. Stock lenses are nothing compared to canon L or Nikon equivalent (I'm canon personally). A bit like comparing ICE watches and CW some on here would say :D . I have a 28-135 (http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Revi ... eview.aspx) which is a great affordable decent quality all rounder. You could buy an extension tube to get close up shots if that's a factor. But again that won't help with the telephoto for distance. I would also recommend a prime 50mm lens for portrait shots (the canon f1.8 is great alternative to the very expensive f1.4). Your bound to feel like one hand is tied behind your back either on options or quality at the start. Like watches for the collectors on here it takes time to build it all up. My simple advice is only to weigh up what you want to start with and go from there. Unless you have the cash you'll have to compromise.
Cheers,
Andrew

C60 Trident Pro Black (C60-TRI-SKS) #1011
C9 Harrison Automatic (C9-AUTO-SST) #0436
C9 FLE 2011 #18
C10 FLE 2013 #18
C20
C5 Malvern Slimline Square
Margrette Regattare Tiki
Stowa Antea 390 (ETA 2824-2)
Uhren von UHR 261
FieryTowse
Guru
Guru

Post by FieryTowse »

Thanks guys. I had considered a two lens kit including a 55-200mm, or possibly 28-135mm although they seldom seem to be available on lower cost bodies such as the EOS1100D or D3100. Canon is probably my preferred option, as I've had good experiences with my Ixus 200HS, but with a 12MP sensor doesn't feel like much of a step up. At a push I might look at the next model up in each manufacturers' case.

In the meantime I really need to put some effort in over the next six months before I make a decision. I think I'll start taking the FZ38 whenever I go out and stick the tripod in the car too.
C3SKK/SKS
C11 KVKT
Omega Geneve Dynamic 135.0033 manual wind
Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra 231.10.42.21.02.003
Omega Seamaster 300 Master Co-Axial 233.30.41.21.01.001
Steinhart Ocean Two
Rolex GMT-Master II 126710BLNR
binnserelli
Guru
Guru

Post by binnserelli »

FieryTowse wrote:Thanks guys. I had considered a two lens kit including a 55-200mm, or possibly 28-135mm although they seldom seem to be available on lower cost bodies such as the EOS1100D or D3100. Canon is probably my preferred option, as I've had good experiences with my Ixus 200HS, but with a 12MP sensor doesn't feel like much of a step up. At a push I might look at the next model up in each manufacturers' case.

In the meantime I really need to put some effort in over the next six months before I make a decision. I think I'll start taking the FZ38 whenever I go out and stick the tripod in the car too.
Mexapixels aren't everything. It's what you can do with the SLR compared to the other model that will free you. That and all the different kit you can buy for it. I've still got a Canon 20D :shock: but I don't print massive pictures (bigger than A3) with it. The quality mostly comes from the faster lenses and being able to utilise the light conditions to your advantage.
Cheers,
Andrew

C9 FLE 2011 #18
C10 FLE 2013 #18
C20
Margrette Regattare Tiki
Uhren von UHR 261
Wound-up
Junior
Junior

Post by Wound-up »

The lens I use the most on my camera is a 28-70mm F2.8. :thumbup: It is amazing how flexible it is for everything from landscape photography to street photography to every day family snap shooting.

Long range work I have a 50 - 500mm

Zoom lenses give you the most flexibility but fixed focal length lens give the best quality. Having said that these days the difference in quality between fixed and zoom lenses is getting smaller and smaller. You will only notice the difference if you start to 'pixal peep' (magnifying your pics a lot).

Lens choice is a personal thing depending on what your going to be photographing but remember one thing, buy the best glass you can afford and you wont be disappointed.
As technology changes so will the camera body but the lenses will be with you the longest and have the biggest effect on the quality of your photographs.
One last thing if possible get a zoom lens with the optical stabilisation feature. It really helps with low light/indoors photography when you don't want to use a flash.
chb
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 7

Post by chb »

Try out some bodies. Canon and Nikon both feel different in the hand.
I have an aging Nikon D80 with an 18-200vr lens. Its brilliant.
Everyone on here is correct...spend money on good glass.

Also to suck you into spending check out the nikon creative lighting system. This allows you to have the flash off the camera and makes a huge difference to the pics you can take. £250 will buy you a compatible flash.

The mod range bodies upwards have more features that are useful for enthusiast...more buttons for direct adjustment of settings, motors built into body for focusing non swm lenses, better viewfinders etc.

Personally i am waiting for the replacement to the nikon d7000 to come out for my next upgrade.
Chrisdw06
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

Post by Chrisdw06 »

If you hadn't already considered it, I'd really suggest considering second-hand and spending the spare money on lenses/ other accessories.

You're going to need a decent bag, memory card, spare battery, lens brush at minimum and then probably a tripod and remote at some point as well.

I got a 500d on eBay for £270 + p&p. It's a lovely camera, wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

I suggest getting one with a nice big LCD, makes reviewing your pics much easier (unless your comfortable reading the histograms and don't need to see your pics clearly).

Also a +1 for the canon 50mm 1.8 (known as nifty fifty). Costs £75 new, £50 2nd hand and is a really nice lens to use for portrait pics and general use. All the tutorials suggest getting a prime lens as it means you har to move yourself not just rely on a zoom and in the end you learn to take better pics. If I had to choose between my 3 lenses (18-55 kit, 28-300 sigma and nifty) I'd choose the nifty. It's a much more engaging lens than the others.
C60 Trident Vintage
C65 GMT Worldtimer
Richard
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
LE-one: yes

Post by Richard »

Go feel a body. How it fits in your hands is important.

Next, like the others memebers mentioned, get decent glass. I have/had a 18-55 kitlens which only takes sharp pictures from f5.6 up. Needless to say I replaced it with a 28-75 f2.8, which at f2.8 is still sharper than the kitlens at f5.6.

I might be the oddball photographer here, I chose Sony over Canon and Nikon. But I already had some old Minolta glass in my possession.
CW count: 6 Seiko count: 11 Casio count: 1 Citizen count: 1 G-Shock count: 2.
Unofficial Seiko ambassador.
JRAD
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by JRAD »

I have to agree that it is all about the glass. I would recommend you also take a look at the Sony line. I got in to them when they first released the A100 because I had some Minolta Glass but have been very impressed with their products. One real world benefit is the in camera VR. That makes any lens you put on the camera vibration reduction. I also like the idea of used gear but pay attention to the number of shutter actuation along with possible sensor dust. You can see some of my stuff on my web page, all taken with a 6 year old Sony A100 at 10MP. http://www.jonathanradin.com

Enjoy and keep on clicken!
C8KVKT Pilot Mk II - U-2 Vintage Edition #1184!
C60 GMT w/Bracelet and Orange Leather Strap
Bueche Girod
Bulova Marine Star

Funding my addiction through photography. Feel free to make reckless purchases at http://www.jonathanradin.com
gwells
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by gwells »

pentax does the in-camera vibration reduction as well, i have it on both my K100D and the K5. i consider it both a plus and a minus. a plus because it works on all lenses (which makes it less expensive, since you only pay for it in the body). a minus because it's not as effective as in lens VR.
the "g" is for Greg...
binnserelli
Guru
Guru

Post by binnserelli »

Chrisdw06 wrote:If you hadn't already considered it, I'd really suggest considering second-hand and spending the spare money on lenses/ other accessories.

You're going to need a decent bag, memory card, spare battery, lens brush at minimum and then probably a tripod and remote at some point as well.

I got a 500d on eBay for £270 + p&p. It's a lovely camera, wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

I suggest getting one with a nice big LCD, makes reviewing your pics much easier (unless your comfortable reading the histograms and don't need to see your pics clearly).

Also a +1 for the canon 50mm 1.8 (known as nifty fifty). Costs £75 new, £50 2nd hand and is a really nice lens to use for portrait pics and general use. All the tutorials suggest getting a prime lens as it means you har to move yourself not just rely on a zoom and in the end you learn to take better pics. If I had to choose between my 3 lenses (18-55 kit, 28-300 sigma and nifty) I'd choose the nifty. It's a much more engaging lens than the others.
Forgot to mention that. Good Tip. Yes it's a brilliant prime lens for very little money for the use you can have. And if you look after it you should be fine for quite a while.
Cheers,
Andrew

C9 FLE 2011 #18
C10 FLE 2013 #18
C20
Margrette Regattare Tiki
Uhren von UHR 261
thecollector
CW-watches: 0

Post by thecollector »

I have just recently become interested in photography and purchase a bundle Cannon T3 at Sam's Club for about $700. I came with;
EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II - lens
EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III - lens
4GB memory card
gadget bag

According to my friend Dave, who is a photography buff; I got a good deal! Any thoughts?
Richard
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
LE-one: yes

Post by Richard »

thecollector wrote:I have just recently become interested in photography and purchase a bundle Cannon T3 at Sam's Club for about $700. I came with;
EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II - lens
EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III - lens
4GB memory card
gadget bag

According to my friend Dave, who is a photography buff; I got a good deal! Any thoughts?
That's not a bad deal, quite a nice starter set.

When the time comes to get more serious about photography:

You have a gap at 55-75 mm. Take into account the lenses do not perform at their best on both ends of their zoom (unless you add stops), so your missing roughly 45-85 mm. That's the sweet spot for portrait photograpy.

Also adding stops (increasing aperature) means you let less light in to reach the sensor, so the shutter speed rises. By then you would want a lens whcih need less light to shoot.
CW count: 6 Seiko count: 11 Casio count: 1 Citizen count: 1 G-Shock count: 2.
Unofficial Seiko ambassador.