Rugby World Cup

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 8
LE-six: Yes

Re: Rugby World Cup

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:25 am

Wales – Australia is going to be an interesting last 15 minutes!

Australia looked dead and buried at half-time – not any more.

Great win, Wales!

I much prefer these nip and tuck games to multi-try processional mismatches!
Steve
The half minute which we daily devote to the winding-up of our watches is an exertion of labour almost insensible; yet, by the aid of a few wheels, its effect is spread over the whole twenty-four hours.
Charles Babbage

@Avo238

welshlad
CW-watches: 9
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-five: yes

Post by welshlad » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:50 am

I prefer the close games too, unless it involves Wales! My nerves are shredded now!
CWL C1R | C5A | C60 x2 | C70 x4 | C8
Omega Speedy | AT8500 | AT2500 | PO Ti
Rolex Exp 114270 | Sub 14060 Zenith EP1969 Damasko DA44
Grand Seiko Snowflake Seiko 55 Fthms
Citizen Promaster Tissot V8 Vratislavia S6 Casio WT Luch 1Hand

Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:52 am

welshlad wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:50 am
I prefer the close games too, unless it involves Wales! My nerves are shredded now!
I thought I heard you howling and whimpering behind the sofa from a couple of hundred miles away.
Steve
The half minute which we daily devote to the winding-up of our watches is an exertion of labour almost insensible; yet, by the aid of a few wheels, its effect is spread over the whole twenty-four hours.
Charles Babbage

@Avo238

Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:20 pm

Well, Scotland may not be completely back in the driving seat, but they appear at least to have located the vehicle.

Slightly off topic, but you can probably guess which aspect of the television coverage pains me the most. Oh, how I wish it was on the BBC. I really hate it when you have just had the national anthems and then they break for two minutes to provide yet another dose of something invented by the thoroughly disingenuous to gull the highly credulous. And they don’t even have the decency to provide a little variety – it’s the same dull fare on every break. One might be tempted to call it brainwashing if one could be certain that the intended victims were appropriately endowed.

I have become very good at switching the sound off and timing my pit stops and visits to the coffee machine or refrigerator.

I often claim to be impervious to advertising, but this lot has certainly had an effect on me. It has throughly PMO! :evil:
Steve
Charles Babbage

@Avo238

TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by TigerChris » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:57 pm

I’ve virtually given up on it already. I thought that our (rugby league) refs were inconsistent, but what I’ve seen so far has been awful. Plus, the game seems to be going soft. I know the Welsh on here won’t like this, but if the ref in your last game knew what offside was it could have been a totally different game. You got virtually every call in that game too. Officials are human and will always make errors, but consistency has to be key and different refs applying different interpretations doesn’t make for good viewing. The players, coaches and fans need to know what you can and can’t do. Its frustrating to watch but even worse for players and coaches.
If it’s not from Yorkshire it’s sh1te!

Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia » Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:43 pm

Job done for England today. Any kind of win against France will see them winning the group. If that is the case then a QF against Australia looks likely.

Another great win for Japan and the bonus points now puts huge pressure on Scotland. I would love to see Japan when that group and go on to the KO.
Steve
Charles Babbage

@Avo238

Thegreyman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Thegreyman » Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:05 pm

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:43 pm
Another great win for Japan and the bonus points now puts huge pressure on Scotland. I would love to see Japan when that group and go on to the KO.
Steve, obviously I have a slightly different aspiration for Japan's fate in the RWC since they face Scotland in their final group game.

Assuming we have a bonus point win against Russia on Wednesday, not certain but likely, then the winner of the Scotland vs Japan would qualify (unless in the highly unlikely event that Japan lost to us but got a bonus point and we didn't). In that scenario Scotland would be second (head to head is the deciding factor if points are level), Ireland winning the group. Of course if Japan beat us then they would win the group, Ireland would be second.

So the big game for me is next Sunday morning Japan v Scotland.
Patrick

C7 Hornet COSC LE, C60 FLE Scooter Blue, W11(wife)

Some others + a few on the way

Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia » Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:10 pm

One of the most interesting games of the group stage, Patrick, because of the way things have panned out.

I don’t see Scotland failing to get a try bonus against Russia. But they will have a much shorter turnaround time and will be against a team that is on a roll and with home soil advantage.

Looking forward to it.

As regards the scenario you point out, low scoring games haven’t been particularly prominent in this World Cup. But I suppose it is possible that Scotland could, say, edge it by 17 points to 12 or something similar? In which case Japan get the bonus and Scotland don’t.
Steve
Charles Babbage

@Avo238

Thegreyman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Thegreyman » Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:56 pm

Fair point Steve, a tight win for Scotland and we could be out in that scenario. It would certainly fit with our normal national sporting outcome of achieving glory in defeat/not winning e.g. coming back against England with 6 tries at Twickenham last year only to let you lot equalise at the death :lol: ](*,)
Patrick

Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 24
LE-two: 1
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:52 am

Good wins for Wales and Scotland yesterday.

It may though all be in vain for Scotland as their match against Japan on Sunday is looking doubtful due to Typhoon Hagibis, and England vs. France on Saturday has been called off.

Full story from the BBC

Guy

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk

C20 FLE |C4 |C5A MkI |C5 BOB |C6 |C7 MkI 47AD |C7 MkII Harrier |C7 Auto Chrono |C70 x2
C8 MkI |C8 Reg MkII |C8 M2.04 |C9 FLE |C9 Me109 SPC |C60 K'fisher x2 |C60 FLE x2
C60 SH21 |C60 Chrono P'type |C65 Khaki |C600 x2 |C1000 |C4&W7 BBMF

Thegreyman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Thegreyman » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:29 am

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:52 am

It may though all be in vain for Scotland as their match against Japan on Sunday is looking doubtful due to Typhoon Hagibis, and England vs. France on Saturday has been called off.

Full story from the BBC

Guy

Guy

I know it’s in the rules but if we are eliminated because of the weather then that is a complete nonsense. Hopefully doesn’t come to that.
Patrick

TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:59 am

Thegreyman wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:29 am
Bahnstormer_vRS wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:52 am

Full story from the BBC

Guy

Guy

I know it’s in the rules but if we are eliminated because of the weather then that is a complete nonsense. Hopefully doesn’t come to that.
I’ve just been reading that playing the game behind closed doors could be an option, Patrick.
If it’s not from Yorkshire it’s sh1te!

Thegreyman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Thegreyman » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:33 pm

^^^thanks Chris, that would be a better option than just cancelling the game. I appreciate that safety of players/spectators has to be paramount if there is a typhoon.
Patrick

sproughton
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by sproughton » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:39 pm

Definitely not an ideal situation but would come down to Scotland losing to Ireland and Japan beating Ireland essentially.

Fingers crossed it all gets sorted

Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:10 am

It’s good in many ways that this match will go ahead. Of the potentially cancelled fixtures, it was the only one that made a real difference to the possibilities of qualification. France and England might have switched places but both were still through.

If Japan had qualified without playing they would always have faced the accusation of getting in through the back door, even though the situation was beyond their control.

If Scotland had been eliminated without playing, it would have been slightly rough justice, even though they didn’t turn up against Ireland and have only themselves to blame for that.

At least this way we will know for sure. No hard feelings, Scottish friends, but I’m backing Japan and really hope they win or at least qualify.
Steve
Charles Babbage

@Avo238