Forum-related only, not for feedback on watches or general CW-feedback
Essex Paul
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

"Remember me" box

Post by Essex Paul »

Hi,

I keep getting booted after a while even though I always tick the "remember me" box.
Thought this option would keep me logged in till I log out?

Happens on windows and IOS at home and work too, so not browser specific.

Any ideas why that is folks? :thumbup:
C1 Grand Malvern Power Reserve
C65 Trident Diver Blue
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Re: "Remember me" box

Post by timor54 »

WARNING: long, boring and vaguely technical post.

There’s been considerable debate about this since the last forum software update, with no real answers till now.

I’ve been experimenting and what I’ve discovered is that it behaves differently dependent upon how you initially access the forum.

If I always access the forum via the CW Portal address: www.christopherwardforum.com/index-cw.php; log in and click remember me; then I’ll only be remembered for a relatively short period of time thereafter (possibly something to do with cached credentials in the browser? but I’ve not investigated further).

If however I access the forum index ‘directly’ via: www.christopherwardforum.com/index.php, or one of its sub-pages, then the remember me function works indefinitely (well at least for a week which is how long ago I worked this out ).

The solution I’ve now settled upon is to always access the forum via the ‘unread posts’ link: www.christopherwardforum.com/search.php ... nreadposts Once initially logged in this will always take me to the list of new posts since my previous session. This is what I really want and it has worked perfectly for the last week across multiple devices (well at least an iPhone and iPad...)

So far, to avoid to many distractions, I’ve limited these investigations to Safari on iPhone and iPad, but I believe it’ll probably be the same result using Chrome or other browsers. I tend not to use Window for the forum but I might get round to trying it out.

My conclusion is that the remember me function in the phpBB software is working correctly but the CW Portal frontend is not retrieving the remembered login credentials from the phpBB software for some reason and requesting a new login each time.

I’ve been meaning to have a look at the php source code for the CW Portal page but somehow never worked up the enthusiasm once I’d found a working solution.

My question for the admin team is: who created and more importantly maintains the ../index-CW.php page? and can whoever is responsible investigate this further as it’d be nice if the pretty CW Portal page supported this function.
Tim
Essex Paul
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Essex Paul »

timor54 wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:43 pm WARNING: long, boring and vaguely technical post.

There’s been considerable debate about this since the last forum software update, with no real answers till now.

I’ve been experimenting and what I’ve discovered is that it behaves differently dependent upon how you initially access the forum.

If I always access the forum via the CW Portal address: www.christopherwardforum.com/index-cw.php; log in and click remember me; then I’ll only be remembered for a relatively short period of time thereafter (possibly something to do with cached credentials in the browser? but I’ve not investigated further).

If however I access the forum index ‘directly’ via: www.christopherwardforum.com/index.php, or one of its sub-pages, then the remember me function works indefinitely (well at least for a week which is how long ago I worked this out ).

The solution I’ve now settled upon is to always access the forum via the ‘unread posts’ link: www.christopherwardforum.com/search.php ... nreadposts Once initially logged in this will always take me to the list of new posts since my previous session. This is what I really want and it has worked perfectly for the last week across multiple devices (well at least an iPhone and iPad...)

So far, to avoid to many distractions, I’ve limited these investigations to Safari on iPhone and iPad, but I believe it’ll probably be the same result using Chrome or other browsers. I tend not to use Window for the forum but I might get round to trying it out.

My conclusion is that the remember me function in the phpBB software is working correctly but the CW Portal frontend is not retrieving the remembered login credentials from the phpBB software for some reason and requesting a new login each time.

I’ve been meaning to have a look at the php source code for the CW Portal page but somehow never worked up the enthusiasm once I’d found a working solution.

My question for the admin team is: who created and more importantly maintains the ../index-CW.php page? and can whoever is responsible investigate this further as it’d be nice if the pretty CW Portal page supported this function.
Very interesting, thanks! :thumbup:
C65 Trident Diver Blue
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

I realize that there are some that are some having difficulty with the "remember me" function.

I also realize what a chore it is to take 5 seconds to log in. :lol:

Seriously though......clearing your cache files has worked for most regardless of browser, with the exception of Apples browser.

The tech guys are aware of the somewhat random issues on all browsers, and Apple, and are trying to determine the root of the problem. Please be patient as the issues seem intermittent.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Essex Paul
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Essex Paul »

Kip wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:58 am I realize that there are some that are some having difficulty with the "remember me" function.

I also realize what a chore it is to take 5 seconds to log in. :lol:

Seriously though......clearing your cache files has worked for most regardless of browser, with the exception of Apples browser.

The tech guys are aware of the somewhat random issues on all browsers, and Apple, and are trying to determine the root of the problem. Please be patient as the issues seem intermittent.
Thanks Kip, noted. :thumbup:
C65 Trident Diver Blue
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

timor54 wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:43 pm
Useful idea. Thanks

nik
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)