Links

Forum-related only, not for feedback on watches or general CW-feedback
Vicious49
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Links

Post by Vicious49 »

The 1 thing that annoys me with this forum is if you click on any link in a post, it takes you to that page rather than opening it in a new window/tab. Is there any way we can change that? Every other forum I attend open links in a new window so I can continue surfing/reading in that forum if I want.
downer
CW-watches: 4

Re: Links

Post by downer »

Vicious49 wrote:The 1 thing that annoys me with this forum is if you click on any link in a post, it takes you to that page rather than opening it in a new window/tab. Is there any way we can change that? Every other forum I attend open links in a new window so I can continue surfing/reading in that forum if I want.
Just press the control key when you click the link, and it will open it as a new window. Simples. :)
Richard
village
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by village »

Or right click and open in new window........
If you can read this you are too close to your computer screen....
Vicious49
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Post by Vicious49 »

I know I can do those things from my laptop, but other forums do that by default. I always forget that this forum doesn't so after I look at whatever the link took me to, I close out that tab. And then I remember that it didn't open in a new window so I also just closed out my CW forum window.

Also, I can't do those suggestions when surfing using my iPad.
asqwerth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by asqwerth »

Vicious49 wrote:I know I can do those things from my laptop, but other forums do that by default. I always forget that this forum doesn't so after I look at whatever the link took me to, I close out that tab. And then I remember that it didn't open in a new window so I also just closed out my CW forum window.

Also, I can't do those suggestions when surfing using my iPad.
While I do appreciate the convenience of the "open in new tab" functionality (I like it in some other forums I visit), it's easy enough to right-click on the link. As for the iPad, are you not able to long-press on the link to open up a context menu? I do that on my Android tablet and phone.
C5As~FLE12R~W61~C60GMT~FLE15~SC
Orion33/Tetra2~BallEH~Montblanc~Tudor BB36~Archimede36~Damasko~Revue T~BremontSolo37~MJW
Vintage~Bulova23~Polerouter~Wittnauer~Longines~Omega~Soumar~Eterna~Gruen

Quartz~Matisse~FLE17~Ebel~Citizen
Vicious49
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Post by Vicious49 »

asqwerth wrote: While I do appreciate the convenience of the "open in new tab" functionality (I like it in some other forums I visit), it's easy enough to right-click on the link. As for the iPad, are you not able to long-press on the link to open up a context menu? I do that on my Android tablet and phone.
I'm a Windows guy so I have no idea when I'm on my iPad most of the time. I'll give that a shot. Like I said, it's not an issue when I'm on my laptop. It's more of an inconvenience than anything else. On my iPad though it is a bit of a pain.
rcherryuk
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by rcherryuk »

I use Atomic Browser on the ioPad, it displays better and a simple long press (over a second) on a link brings up the contextual menu.
But I don't want every link to open ibn a new tab, they slow down your browser too much, simply uise back or the history folder :-)
Plus you can set the browsers identity as a desktop browser to avoid the 'mobile' webpage Safari treats you too many sites.

Rob
Rob

Watches are like Dictionaries; the worst is better than none, and the best cannot be expected to go quite true.
Samuel Johnson
rcherryuk
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by rcherryuk »

I use Atomic Browser on the ioPad, it displays better and a simple long press (over a second) on a link brings up the contextual menu.
But I don't want every link to open ibn a new tab, they slow down your browser too much, simply uise back or the history folder :-)
Plus you can set the browsers identity as a desktop browser to avoid the 'mobile' webpage Safari treats you too many sites.

Rob
Rob

Watches are like Dictionaries; the worst is better than none, and the best cannot be expected to go quite true.
Samuel Johnson
Tyke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Tyke »

rcherryuk wrote:I use Atomic Browser on the ioPad, it displays better and a simple long press (over a second) on a link brings up the contextual menu.

Rob
I see you've got the double post option set on your browser :lol:
rcherryuk
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by rcherryuk »

Tyke wrote:
rcherryuk wrote:I use Atomic Browser on the ioPad, it displays better and a simple long press (over a second) on a link brings up the contextual menu.

Rob
I see you've got the double post option set on your browser :lol:
In the words of the Great One "Doh"

Rob
Rob

Samuel Johnson
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Vicious49 wrote:The 1 thing that annoys me with this forum is if you click on any link in a post, it takes you to that page rather than opening it in a new window/tab. Is there any way we can change that? Every other forum I attend open links in a new window so I can continue surfing/reading in that forum if I want.
As far as I can recall you are the first one to bring this up. :-k

I never considered this an issue and always figured it was just the software we use. I am sure that Hans will take note.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Vicious49
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Post by Vicious49 »

Kip wrote:

I never considered this an issue and always figured it was just the software we use. I am sure that Hans will take note.
Like I said, it's not a big issue. Just a bit annoying - especially when I'm on my iPad. It's probably just a setting in the software somewhere that Hans would have to change (if he wished to do so) since other forums that use a similar format which I'm on have it the other way around.
downer

Post by downer »

Doesn't need changing IMO.
Richard
binnserelli
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by binnserelli »

Vicious49 wrote:
Kip wrote:

Like I said, it's not a big issue. Just a bit annoying - especially when I'm on my iPad. It's probably just a setting in the software somewhere that Hans would have to change (if he wished to do so) since other forums that use a similar format which I'm on have it the other way around.
I'm on an iPad too. If you long press/hold on the link you will get an option to open in a new tab or window. I must say I prefer to have a link open in a new tab automatically so I don't lose my original point of reference. This isn't too much of a problem as there is a quick solution.
Cheers,
Andrew

C60 Trident Pro Black (C60-TRI-SKS) #1011
C9 Harrison Automatic (C9-AUTO-SST) #0436
C9 FLE 2011 #18
C10 FLE 2013 #18
C20
C5 Malvern Slimline Square
Margrette Regattare Tiki
Stowa Antea 390 (ETA 2824-2)
Uhren von UHR 261
binnserelli