C70 GB 'Brooklands' COSC #026/200 Restoration Project

Take some photos of your CW wristwatch and post them here!
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

C70 GB 'Brooklands' COSC #026/200 Restoration Project

Post by MiniMpi »

As some of you know I recently took a chance on buying a damaged C70 GB 'Brooklands' COSC on eBay the other day.
It arrived today and the description was fairly spot on from the seller bar one or two things.

So here are the bad bits of which there are plenty sadly.......
The bezel and crystal are missing and the small second hand is missing from it's sub dial. The 60 minute counter hand and the minute hands are bent and the 60 second counter hand broke when I touched it probably as it was bent before.
The strap is very very worn and there is no manual, COSC cert or box.
One thing I didn't spot in the photos is that there is some green missing from where the '12' is sadly...

So pretty bad to be fair and maybe a lost cause.
But it was calling out to me to be saved.
I bought it to keep it, I've always wanted one of the C70 GP models.
I will be able to spread the cost of restoring this over time unlike having to pay out in full for a mint example.
It's not going to be perfect even after re-casing it etc but it will be a good looking watch that I can enjoy.

The few plus points are that it's COSC, one of 200.
Also several pieces of the first run slipped through QC with a missing 87 marker on the tachymeter and this is one of those.

Here are the sales photos :

Some very quick flash photos this evening to show off some bits.

The bit of green missing :

The rare missing 87 :

So to sum up, am I mad ? Yes.
But fingers crossed with CW's help it will turn out to be a nice usable rare watch.
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Re: C70 GB 'Brooklands' COSC #026/200 Restoration Project

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Good luck with the project Ferg.

You're certainly a braver, or madder, man than me to take this on.

Guy

sent from my Sony Xperia Z1
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Post by smegwina »

Ferg. You are supposed to stop the q-tip as soon as you feel resistance!!!

This is gonna be interesting. Good luck to you.

I think that you will get a cracker in the end though!

I would be tempted to leave it a little bit rough round the edges. Gives it a bit of character.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk now Free
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by MiniMpi »

Cheers fellas ;)
Yip, I'm definitely clinically insane I'd say....lol
Is this the first CW restoration I wonder ?
chrisw
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 7

Post by chrisw »

lets hope Wera's sofa has a bunch of used C70 parts causing irritation as they are sat upon. good luck Ferg the right decision.
C60 blue
C60 GMT mk2.
C8 mk2 vintage blk
C9 BDD
C15
C70 DType
C65 SWS
Bulova presisionist
Tag Carrera
Rado xeramo
Omega Seamaster
Garrad 9ct
GS SBGX 065
Rolex Datejust
Longine h flagship
Omega Deville coaixal 18ct
Tudor Oyster Royal
Seiko sarb 035
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

chrisw wrote:lets hope Wera's sofa has a bunch of used C70 parts causing irritation as they are sat upon. good luck Ferg the right decision.

Aye, fingers crossed for you and we look forward to progress reports and photos.

Does it run?

Are you intending restoring it to "factory spec" or are you open to a bit of modding? Part of the reason I ask is that the silvered subdial hands can be difficult to see under artificial light and in low ambient light conditions ans, when I look at my C70 Vanwall I sometimes reflect on the notion of eggshell coloured or lumed hands to replace them.

Otherwise? Well I have the skill to replace the strap and after that I'd be outsourcing the work involved :lol: :lol: :lol:
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by MiniMpi »

chrisw wrote:lets hope Wera's sofa has a bunch of used C70 parts causing irritation as they are sat upon. good luck Ferg the right decision.
Thanks Chris ;)
I did notice that the current C70 BRITISH GP 1926 CHRONOMETER has the same hands and the current C70 BELGIAN GP 1925 CHRONOMETER has the black bezel (the upgraded harder to damage one) so parts shouldn't be a problem hopefully.
tikkathree wrote:

Aye, fingers crossed for you and we look forward to progress reports and photos.

Does it run?

Are you intending restoring it to "factory spec" or are you open to a bit of modding? Part of the reason I ask is that the silvered subdial hands can be difficult to see under artificial light and in low ambient light conditions ans, when I look at my C70 Vanwall I sometimes reflect on the notion of eggshell coloured or lumed hands to replace them.

Otherwise? Well I have the skill to replace the strap and after that I'd be outsourcing the work involved :lol: :lol: :lol:
Meant to say that it doesn't run....hopefully the battery and the crown doesn't stay in either, not sure if it's a screw in crown or not on these ?
I'll probably keep it stock, not sure yet on a strap though. These come on the tan with red spots strap but I think the tan with green spots would suit it better. Both of which are still available on the website. Or I'll just go different with maybe a Hirsch Rally strap perhaps.
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by tikkathree »

MiniMpi wrote:
Thanks Chris ;)
I did notice that the current C70 BRITISH GP 1926 CHRONOMETER has the same hands and the current C70 BELGIAN GP 1925 CHRONOMETER has the black bezel (the upgraded harder to damage one) so parts shouldn't be a problem hopefully.
tikkathree wrote:

Does it run?

Meant to say that it doesn't run....hopefully the battery and the crown doesn't stay in either, not sure if it's a screw in crown or not on these ?
I'll probably keep it stock, not sure yet on a strap though. These come on the tan with red spots strap but I think the tan with green spots would suit it better. Both of which are still available on the website. Or I'll just go different with maybe a Hirsch Rally strap perhaps.
Yes it's a screw -down crown. Don't forget the manual is on CWs website.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
Some other brands
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by tikkathree »

MiniMpi wrote:
Thanks Chris ;)
tikkathree wrote:

Does it run?

Yes it's a screw -down crown. Don't forget the manual is on CWs website.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
Some other brands
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by MiniMpi »

tikkathree wrote:Yes it's a screw -down crown. Don't forget the manual is on CWs website.
Cheers Pete ;)

I tried it on last night and it sits lovely on the wrist and I love the look of the watch.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

This will be interesting to follow. good luck, Ferg. :thumbup:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by MiniMpi »

Thank you Steve ;)
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

Looking forward to the outcome.

Will you be physically doing the work yourself or getting CW to supply and fit/restore?

I have a vague recollection of someone buying a beaten up C60 on eBay and restoring to its former glory several years back.

Good luck to you.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by MiniMpi »

Thanks scooter.
I'll be getting CW to do the work for me.
I'm awaiting a rough quote from them at the moment but they are very busy currently.
I have my Kingfisher LE due back from them and when that returns then I'll probably send off the Brooklands and also my C11 Titanium Elite which I'm also getting re-cased.
Hopefully I will get both back in time for my birthday in February.
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

Fingers crossed for a triumphant return.

It would be great birthday presents for you.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)