LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

A Lasting Legacy - Important News from Christopher Ward

Post by Kip »

The following is an announcement from Christopher Ward Holdings via Mike France

January 3, 2020

"As the Christopher Ward brand moves forward into the new decade with more optimism than ever, it’s tinged with more than a little sadness that it will be without Chris himself.

For, after nearly 16 years, Chris has now left the business and will no longer be involved on an ongoing basis.

Of course, as a co-founder and the man whose name adorns the dial, he will always be part of the history of the brand but as many people inside CW know, his involvement with the business has declined significantly in recent years and it seemed right for everyone, including Chris, that this was the moment to formally step aside.

Peter and I will miss seeing him on a daily basis although we certainly won’t miss the smug look on his face as his beloved Liverpool Football Club chalk up yet another win on their way to the title. We’re hoping to be together at the Everton v Liverpool derby game in March when I am confident the blues will take the three points!

So, we thank Chris for the last 16 years, the ups, the downs, the football banter and the laughs (mainly the laughs!) and we wish him every future success in whatever he chooses to do next as well as reminding him to not become a stranger to his many friends at CW.

Mike France

CEO & co-founder"

While it is with great sadness that I post this announcement, it is important to realize that that changes are a way of life and business. Chris has helped to found an eponymous company that was a pioneer of internet watch sales. This company has grown more than even he ever imagined. The legacy of Christopher Ward will continue via the company that Chris, Mike and Peter founded, and this forum. We also hope that the CWArchives will preserve the legacy of the products that were developed and sold by CW.

I first had communications with Chris and his wife Wera in 2007. We quickly developed a friendship that I hope lasts a lifetime. Even though we only saw each other about once a year, it was as if we saw each other only yesterday. I hope that whatever Chris decides about his future, that he does it with the same passion for life that he put into CW.

Good luck my friend.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Re: A Lasting Legacy - Important News from Christopher Ward

Post by stefs »

I would like to wish Chris all the best. It’s a shame and I felt that after Wera left he was the one bloke that you felt you could deal with with a bit of confidence.
As you say Kip change is inevitable and hopefully this won’t have a detrimental effect on the business.
FS zenith Chronomaster Original and Bremont Solo or trade for 5 digit Sub.
Cheers now, Paul
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

Now that is going to lead to interesting times.....
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jtc »

Interesting! Rebrand as CW and just the twinflags on all dials going forward? ;)

I assume Chris isn't cashing out, so it's more retirement than moving on? If so, happy relaxing Chris!
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I have met Chris on a number of occasions, mainly during our sessions at Maidenhead. He's a great bloke and I shall miss his sincerity and his dry Scouse wit.

As Kip says, the legacy will remain, especially the eponym. But things will move forward.

Very best wishes to Chris and Wera for the future. :thumbup:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

Sad to see him go - he and Wera have always been accessible and fully engaged in us, customers and followers of the brand. Will be interesting to see the direction of the company and also what it means long-term for the name. There has been a number of instances in the past where a brand has had to change its name after legal challenge by the donor name (usually in acrimonious circumstances)
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

That's a shame.

Best of luck to Chris.

Mike France or Peter Ellis won't quite have the same presence on the dial.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

Interesting after the influx of investment money in 2019.
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

jtc wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:10 am Interesting! Rebrand as CW and just the twinflags on all dials going forward? ;)
I also would expect something like that, but we'll only know it's going to happen once it has been officially denied...
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Good luck to Chris and Wera for whatever they do in the future.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
nathanclarinet
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by nathanclarinet »

All the best Chris.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Post by MiniMpi »

It's a sad day but I wish Chris all the very best for the future and want to Thank him for all he has done for us all.
nwnjw01
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 3

Post by nwnjw01 »

There’s nothing mor certain than uncertainty...

When a founder leaves a company such as CW there is bound to be a certain level of uncertainty...
But every change brings opportunities for change for the better.. whether they happen only time will tell.

Whatever the future outcome CW has lost a leading light, but there are still two founders left so hopefully will continue as before.

If you have retired Chris may it be a long and happy one, if you are starting a new venture may every success follow you.

Cheers

Nick
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by 0uatiOW »

We can all speculate on the reasons behind this but IMV this is a loss for the company. Chris was the charismatic face (and name, natch) of the company and I always felt he was the main personality of the management team.

I wish him all the best, whatever he’s doing next, and I’m certainly interested if it turns out to be another horological venture.
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
Molan
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by Molan »

That's sad to hear. Chris has always been very friendly and helpful to me personally.

I received a personal message from him over the Xmas period about the devastating loss of my little grandson last year. Can't think of many other senior business owners who would take a personal interest in one of their customers like this :(
About 6 Christopher Wards, Omega, Tudor, Halios, Breitling, Bremont, Rado, TAG Heuer, Nomos, Hamilton, Sternglas