Post by atnits »

A sad announcement.
bspj
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Re: A Lasting Legacy - Important News from Christopher Ward

Post by bspj »

I wish Chris and Wera all the very best for the future.
Steve
Tony Rama
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 1

Post by Tony Rama »

I wonder if it was Chris's idea to leave. One would have thought that if it was, he would have made the announcement, since he was the co-founder. But he just disappeared off the radar.

A very nice guy. When I was thinking of buying a C6 T3 in a sale (which I did), I called CW and he personally answered the phone and we chatted about a few non-watch subjects as well. I lived in Liverpool from 1989-1999.

Anyway, all the best Chris. I hope you continue with your watch profession.
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

Interesting development and surprised that we've heard no words from the big man himself.

Anyhow, I would also like to wish Chris the very best for whatever he chooses to do going forward.

Thank you Sir :thumbup:
Ryan
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

Best wishes to Chris and Wera.
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
DEV.Woulf
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by DEV.Woulf »

When I first got into CW watches I thought, like many others, that Chris Ward himself ran the company. Even after learning he was one of three, I thought of him as the spokesman of sorts for the brand. Many times dealing with the head of customer service, his wife, aided that thought. This is the "folder" photo I use for my CW pictures:

I only spoke to him once when I suggested a few designs through email. Of course he was nice. But with both Wera and now Chris gone, it is truly the end of an era. That's just adding to the huge amount of changes over the years. From logos to mergers to advanced designs. You just have to compare the original Malverns to the newest Tridents to see where the company is currently at opposed to back then. With Mike and Peter now running things hopefully that philosophy of great affordable watches doesn't disappear anytime soon.

I also hope they keep the name as I can't see any situation where changing it has a positive effect. Actually, I think it'd be quite negative and hurtful to the brand long-term; more so than any logo change. Moreover, Christopher Ward evokes a James Bond classiness... Peter Ellis doesn't have quite the same ring to it. :wink:

Au revoir, Chris!

Christopher Ward | LORIER | MONTA | SEIKO

Joseph.
zonnicso

Post by zonnicso »

Sad announcement, wish them all the best. Guess we'll get a new logo by the end of the year ;)
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

A Lasting Legacy - Important News from Christopher Ward

Post by gaf1958 »

The wonderful Wera left the company a few years ago and despite the loss of our favourite CW miracle worker, the company soldiered on. There were some hiccups along the way, but by and large it worked.

Chris is now following suit, perhaps to spend more time with his wife, perhaps to try his hand at something else. I suspect the company will, once again, soldier on. Maybe we’re in for some interesting times.

As to logo changes, I suspect there may be no changes in the wind; wasn’t Mike France one of the main proponents behind the current logo?

All the best to Chris, regardless of what his plans are.
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
DavecUK
Expert
Expert

Post by DavecUK »

gaf1958 wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:08 amAs to logo changes, I suspect there may be no changes in the wind; wasn’t Mike France one of the main proponents behind the current logo?
I expect Mike felt MF might not look good on the watch face. I think with new money injected that a company name change is inevitable once the existing stock has mostly worked it's way through the system. Wouldn't surprise me if they are working on the new watch faces and branding at the moment.
downer

Post by downer »

DavecUK wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:12 pm I think with new money injected that a company name change is inevitable once the existing stock has mostly worked it's way through the system. Wouldn't surprise me if they are working on the new watch faces and branding at the moment.
Is this based on anything other than assumption?

There are any number of brands named after a founder who is no longer involved, and I see Chris' involvement and the brand name as two entirely separate things.

I wish Chris and Wera well in their next chapter.
Richard
DavecUK
Expert
Expert

Post by DavecUK »

downer wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:35 pm Is this based on anything other than assumption?
No, why would you think otherwise?
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

DavecUK wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:12 pm
I expect Mike felt MF might not look good on the watch face. I think with new money injected that a company name change is inevitable once the existing stock has mostly worked it's way through the system. Wouldn't surprise me if they are working on the new watch faces and branding at the moment.
I would be utterly astounded if that happened. After all the time and money to build the brand, why would anyone do that.

I remember the Royal Mail rebranded as Consignia. That didn’t last long.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
MarkingTime
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by MarkingTime »

Thegreyman wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:52 pm
I would be utterly astounded if that happened. After all the time and money to build the brand, why would anyone do that.
Whilst I would tend to agree, we've already seen two rebrands and several variations on the theme and that's with all of the original members at the helm.
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by jtc »

MarkingTime wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:28 pm
Thegreyman wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:52 pm
Whilst I would tend to agree, we've already seen two rebrands and several variations on the theme and that's with all of the original members at the helm.
Perhaps that was the problem (too many cooks/captains), and now there will be more cohesive planning...
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont
andrewht

Post by andrewht »

I was fortunate to attend the Manchester GTG last year and met all 3 of the founders. Had a chat with Chris and was impressed with how down to earth, knowledgeable and passionate about the brand and LFC! I'm sure the brand will continue to develop and grow and wish him well for the future.