News related to Christopher Ward Watches
paw3001
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4
LE-two: yes

Re: C5 Limited "Battle of Britain" available for pre-order

Post by paw3001 »

MorrisOx wrote:If I had the £300 I'd be hapy to buy.

Anything which helps the RAFBF - especially something which also commemorates the sacrifices of the Battle of Britain - is worthy of support.
Give them the £300 directly that will be a great help rather than the 15 quid they would get if you bought this dull watch. :D

Great cause, as well as all the charities that support people who risk their lives everyday. I don't think anyone has an issue with the RAFBF just think the watch is a bit dull and that it may not sell in huge numbers and so may not actually generate that much income for the fund. I hope i'm wrong though!

In fact, if every member of the forum contributed just £1that would raise over £1750 for the fund. CW would need to sell 116 of these BoB models to match that amount!! :shock:
Watches - Too many but not enough!
village
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by village »

paw3001 wrote:
Give them the £300 directly that will be a great help rather than the 15 quid they would get if you bought this dull watch. :D

it may not sell in huge numbers and so may not actually generate that much income for the fund.
:

I agree.
I suspect that this watch may be pushed to the RAF in order to generate higher sales? However,i think that a better way to generate the charitable funds would have been ,for example,to produce a really nice enamelled badge that sells for say £20,with 25% (or more if it allows) going to the benevolent fund. I'm pretty sure they would have sold in big numbers and would produce more funds.
If you can read this you are too close to your computer screen....
deOwar

Post by deOwar »

Concerning the Battle of Britain pricing issue, I think we are all free to decide between a C5 Malvren and the special edition, just as we can support any foundation directly if we want. But for sure, CW is still the most HONEST participant of the watchmaking world, and this must be appreciated!
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Regarding pricing...

One thing we are forgetting here is that there is a royalty fee that must also be paid to the RAF etc.

The donations to the Benevolent fund come from the CWL profits.

If this was most any other company I am sure that fee would have a considerable markup also and these would cost far more than they do now.

I hope they do well as the money is going to a good cause.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Tooks
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Tooks »

At the risk of sounding like an old moaning git!

Standard C5 Aviator = £215 (of which I assume there is a profit in it for CW)

Donation to BBMF = £15 (assuming £299 retail price of BBMF C5)

So, that means the other £69 of the BBMF C5 is going towards the different dial/caseback (which presumably cost no/little more than the standard C5 ones to produce?) and any royalty fee payable for use of the BBMF and RAF branding.

Do those two things really cost that much?? If so, then great, but if not, then why is it so much more expensive?

I hope I'm wrong, but it sounds like there is rather more to it.... :?

I'd be more inclined to pay £230 for a standard C5 knowing I was donating £15 to be honest...
Ideal number of watches in your collection = current number of watches + 1...
Robin CB
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by Robin CB »

The watch isn't to everyone's taste and it is certainly possible to get a plain Malvern cheaper, but that doesn't mean that it isn't still good value.

Personally I think it is a good homage to the original watches worn by the WW2 pilots and is one that should sell to those who have an RAF connection. The fact that it raises funds for the RAF Ben Fund is a plus.

We might think it expensive compared to its unbranded cousin, but actually the buyer is getting a top quality Swiss watch with tasteful RAF branding for a tenth of the proce of this RAF Breitling - http://www.watches.co.uk/watch.php?wid=0526P :shock:

In fact it is only twice the cost of this (not so) cheap and nasty quartz job - http://www.bradford.co.uk/product_info. ... 1268052608 :?

I know which one I would buy :D
paw3001
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by paw3001 »

Robin CB wrote:The watch isn't to everyone's taste and it is certainly possible to get a plain Malvern cheaper, but that doesn't mean that it isn't still good value.

Personally I think it is a good homage to the original watches worn by the WW2 pilots and is one that should sell to those who have an RAF connection. The fact that it raises funds for the RAF Ben Fund is a plus.

We might think it expensive compared to its unbranded cousin, but actually the buyer is getting a top quality Swiss watch with tasteful RAF branding for a tenth of the proce of this RAF Breitling - http://www.watches.co.uk/watch.php?wid=0526P :shock:

In fact it is only twice the cost of this (not so) cheap and nasty quartz job - http://www.bradford.co.uk/product_info. ... 1268052608 :?

I know which one I would buy :D
Yes, you're right but we are comparing this watch to others within CW's stable. I think we can all highlight watches that match any in the CW line that would be much more expensive. ie IWC!

Plus I am now thinking there seems to be one hell of a lot of these RAF branded watches "flying" around which devalue the exclusivity of the BoB and further reduces the market!
Watches - Too many but not enough!
Mikegt
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikegt »

As I'm a battle of Britain baby, I've been looking for something to celibrate my 70th, this with the 20% off is ideal.
Mike T.
widge34
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by widge34 »

Mikegt wrote:As I'm a battle of Britain baby, I've been looking for something to celibrate my 70th, this with the 20% off is ideal.
Mike T.

I don't think the 20% discount applies to this watch.
paw3001
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by paw3001 »

Nope it isn't included in the 20% off deal
Beastmaster
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 9

Re:

Post by Beastmaster »

paw3001 wrote:Nope it isn't included in the 20% off deal
The add on this forum says all mens watches!!!!!!!!!!
C6 yellow Kingfisher, C5 black Malvern Aviator Ltd Edition, C70 DBR1, C70 IT, C60 Trident 2012 FLE Scooter, C70 MC, C70 Cunningham
Hans
Administrator Emeritus - Founder
CW-watches: 7
LE-one: yes

Post by Hans »

Sorry, next time I will include a note that discounts are valid for the regular models, and not for Limiteds or models with other discounts....
Loddonite
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5
LE-three: yes

Post by Loddonite »

I can't decide if I want one of these or not.

I don't have a C5 yet, it is the RAF commemorative watch, I like the simple looks and I am interested in military history (particularly the Battle of Britain)... but ... the WIS in me doesn't want a watch that says 6B/159 to have a date (manual wind would be nice too (and AM in big letters...)). :P

Luckily most of the world is not like me and I imagine that the 1940 watches will sell well to normal people. :D
Dom
Nothing's forgotten, nothing's ever forgotten.
rogerb40es

Post by rogerb40es »

Probably it would be better for those of us with C5 Aviators, just to send a contribution to the Royal Air Force Benevolent Fund and feel 'virtuous' !!
Mr Rick
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 17

Post by Mr Rick »

Thought I would revive this thread as my C5 B of B is "in the air" as we speak. There are no recent pictures in the Gallery so I'll be happy to provide some soon. :)
Rick

Various vintage Heuers
CW C8 Pilot MK I and II, 2011 and 13 FLEs, C5 B of B and Malvern Aviator MK II, C11 MSL MK I, C70 DBR1, C60 and C60 GMT, C9 Harrison, C9 Chrono, C10 Aviator