Chat with Chris 2016

News related to Christopher Ward Watches
Post Reply
User avatar
tempus fugit
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
Posts: 620
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:54 pm
CW-watches: 3
Location: Essex

Re: Chat with Chris 2016

Post by tempus fugit » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:32 pm

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:....I cannot see myself ever buying anything with the new logo, particularly in its lower case, left justified form. Upper case and centre justified might have me more interested...on the right watch.
Same here exactly - but with the definite additional caveat of the brand value (and I don't mean monetary or simply principles).

Brand value to me is about more than just its (admittedly crucially important) values (principles).

Brand value encompasses also what it stands for beyond ethics and principles, how it chooses to operate and position itself in a market, how it communicates its story, its intrinsic desirability and its perception of quality for an honest price. It's about having qualities you won’t find everywhere or, ideally, anywhere else.

Seth Godin wrote a pretty good (if not exhaustive) summary: "A brand’s value is merely the sum total of...how often [people] choose the expectations, memories, stories and relationships of one brand over the alternatives."
Alex
4x Omega, 3x CW, 1x Tudor, 1x Tag

User avatar
Loddonite
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 4999
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:30 pm
CW-watches: 5
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
Location: Berkshire, UK

Re: Chat with Chris 2016

Post by Loddonite » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:34 pm

Regarding the so-called 'eye candy'... a design family that has potential... but; the off-centre left justified logo - no - just no... and if you show me the date today I can work out the date before and the date after all on my own. Colour, finish, batons, numerals all good... now potter off back to the drawing board and get it right.

But then again - perhaps there are hundreds of people out there that will like it just the way it is, appreciate its Hamilton-esque look as it stands and type their credit card numbers into the website. It doesn't really matter that I am not one of them, just that there are enough of the number typers.

In the meantime I will keep waiting for the next CW that takes my fancy.
Dom
Nothing's forgotten, nothing's ever forgotten.
Image

The Naf
Senior
Senior
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:31 am

Re: Chat with Chris 2016

Post by The Naf » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:01 am

I always used to wonder about the open date windows, though I must confess to looking them. Until one day I needed to check the date and the minute hand was obscuring the date...light bulb moment [FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY]

The Naf

User avatar
asqwerth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 2862
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:47 am
CW-watches: 8

Re: Chat with Chris 2016

Post by asqwerth » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:50 pm

rgb wrote:
The Naf wrote:Some eye candy from chat...Image
O.M.G. that is one ugly logo. Sorry Chris, but it sucks. Looks totally amateurish.
Was away from the forum for close to 2 weeks due to other commitments and because I thought the chat had been moved to the 16th and had no idea it had been shifted back. :problem:

I think the main problem with the left aligned logo in the watch above is that it's in line with the "1" from the "12" above. I have no idea how to photoshop stuff, but I think it just might ...maybe... look much better if the whole left-aligned logo was shifted just a little to the left of the "1".

Anyway, I'm still doing lots of catching up on threads and I haven't finished reading the transcript. Back to reading....
C5As~FLE12R~W61~C60GMT~FLE15
Nomos Orion33/Tetra2~BallEH~Montblanc~Tudor BB36~Archimede36~Damasko~Revue T~RLT
Vintage~Bulova23~Polerouter~Wittnauer~Longines~Omega~Soumar~Eterna~Gruen

Quartz~Matisse~FLE17~Ebel~Citizen~Swiss Army

User avatar
rgb
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 2100
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:33 am
CW-watches: 3
Location: Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Re: Chat with Chris 2016

Post by rgb » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:22 am

asqwerth wrote:
I think the main problem with the left aligned logo in the watch above is that it's in line with the "1" from the "12" above. I have no idea how to photoshop stuff, but I think it just might ...maybe... look much better if the whole left-aligned logo was shifted just a little to the left of the "1".

Anyway, I'm still doing lots of catching up on threads and I haven't finished reading the transcript. Back to reading....
No better, IMHO.
Image
Rolex Explorer II | Tudor BBR | Tudor North Flag | Omega Seamaster Pro 300M | Speedmaster 3513.30 | TAG Kirium F1 | Chr.Ward C9 GMT | C10 Mk1 | C65 LE | Oris Player's 7410 |
WR: 7.25"

Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change.

User avatar
asqwerth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 2862
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:47 am
CW-watches: 8

Re: Chat with Chris 2016

Post by asqwerth » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:58 am

rgb wrote:
asqwerth wrote:
I think the main problem with the left aligned logo in the watch above is that it's in line with the "1" from the "12" above. I have no idea how to photoshop stuff, but I think it just might ...maybe... look much better if the whole left-aligned logo was shifted just a little to the left of the "1".

Anyway, I'm still doing lots of catching up on threads and I haven't finished reading the transcript. Back to reading....
No better, IMHO.
Image
Thanks, rgb, for the photo-manipulation. But you're still trying to centre-align "Christopher" with the "12" above. That's not my proposal and moves "Ward" too much to the left.

The idea is to shift the logo only a teeny tiny bit to the left of "1".

How's this? This is my first photo-manipulation ever (not counting my smudging out personal details on a picture last week, also for the first time), as I always thought it would be too difficult. I'm using GIMP on Linux.

Image
C5As~FLE12R~W61~C60GMT~FLE15
Nomos Orion33/Tetra2~BallEH~Montblanc~Tudor BB36~Archimede36~Damasko~Revue T~RLT
Vintage~Bulova23~Polerouter~Wittnauer~Longines~Omega~Soumar~Eterna~Gruen

Quartz~Matisse~FLE17~Ebel~Citizen~Swiss Army

sproughton
Forumgod
Forumgod
Posts: 964
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:59 pm
CW-watches: 4
Location: Hertfordshire

Re: Chat with Chris 2016

Post by sproughton » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:14 am

^^^seems the best of the three, but still...

The Naf
Senior
Senior
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:31 am

Re: Chat with Chris 2016

Post by The Naf » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:18 am

Say ...that's not bad... possibly the best yet...still I can't help but wonder if the logo as originally proposed by C ward towers but slightly lower wouldn't be even better...

The Naf

User avatar
Aesculapius
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
Posts: 581
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:20 am
CW-watches: 5
Location: London

Re: Chat with Chris 2016

Post by Aesculapius » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:25 pm

Left justified in that position, wherever you place it and however you tweak it, just looks unbalanced and wrong. It looks like they're just trying TOO hard.

Fine, use a sans-serif logotype if they must. It gives the brand no identity at all in my opinion but if that's what they want to do...

However: the absolute insistence on using a left justified version simply makes them look like they've been taken in totally by the spiel from a bunch of branding consultants. Even at the nine o'clock position on the new C65 Mk2 variants, a simple, centre-justified version of the logotext looks better and more professional. I also think the size is wrong on the C65s; the text is too big and too close to the batons which is another reason it looks cramped and jarring. A little more space would let the overall face design "breathe" a bit more.

Despite all the rhetoric from the company, I honestly think this branding will evolve again — and soon.

User avatar
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 2026
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:48 pm
CW-watches: 10
Location: Sarasota, Florida, USA

Re: Chat with Chris 2016

Post by FloridaPhil » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:48 am

Aesculapius wrote:Left justified in that position, wherever you place it and however you tweak it, just looks unbalanced and wrong. It looks like they're just trying TOO hard.

Fine, use a sans-serif logotype if they must. It gives the brand no identity at all in my opinion but if that's what they want to do...

However: the absolute insistence on using a left justified version simply makes them look like they've been taken in totally by the spiel from a bunch of branding consultants. Even at the nine o'clock position on the new C65 Mk2 variants, a simple, centre-justified version of the logotext looks better and more professional. I also think the size is wrong on the C65s; the text is too big and too close to the batons which is another reason it looks cramped and jarring. A little more space would let the overall face design "breathe" a bit more.

Despite all the rhetoric from the company, I honestly think this branding will evolve again — and soon.
I totally agree. The font they have chosen is designed to be 'invisible' - it is there to provide information, not artistic identity. The left justification is, IMO, simply appalling. Unbalanced and insecure, like an 18 year old kid sitting back in a leather recliner, swirling a glass of brandy and blowing cigar smoke into the air while he talks loudly on a cellphone and winks at the barmaid. Immature, sad and inappropriate. It's a real shame.
I'll never buy another watch. Not until the next one.

User avatar
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 1644
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:44 pm
CW-watches: 1
Location: Hua Hin, Thailand

Re: Chat with Chris 2016

Post by Caller » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:13 pm

FloridaPhil wrote:I totally agree. The font they have chosen is designed to be 'invisible' - it is there to provide information, not artistic identity. The left justification is, IMO, simply appalling. Unbalanced and insecure, like an 18 year old kid sitting back in a leather recliner, swirling a glass of brandy and blowing cigar smoke into the air while he talks loudly on a cellphone and winks at the barmaid. Immature, sad and inappropriate. It's a real shame.
This sums it up perfectly for me. Interesting point about how the font type was designed to be used - so not fit for purpose on a watch then, which seems self-evident to me. But that's obviously just my personal opinion. I'm still asking myself how they allowed themselves to be persuaded that the left justification was the way to go.

On another point, I have been spending some time looking at the website again and much of which is written to draw your attention to a particular watch has the opposite effect on me. There's a lot still there that makes me squirm.
'Tis me

George Smiley
Senior
Senior
Posts: 83
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:15 pm
CW-watches: 3

Re: Chat with Chris 2016

Post by George Smiley » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:40 pm

I'm selfishly saddened at the logo change....I was looking forward a new and even better c60 diver, BUT with such a poor logo, it's likely to put me off. Hope I'm wrong though. :shock:

fishman
Forumgod
Forumgod
Posts: 936
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:58 pm

Re: Chat with Chris 2016

Post by fishman » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:58 pm

George Smiley wrote:I'm selfishly saddened at the logo change....I was looking forward a new and even better c60 diver, BUT with such a poor logo, it's likely to put me off. Hope I'm wrong though. :shock:
Don't worry, the logo will look just fine! Remember that you can always send it back for a full refund.

User avatar
Amor Vincit Omnia
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 18915
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:34 pm
CW-watches: 8
LE-six: Yes
Location: Norfolk, UK

Re: Chat with Chris 2016

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:03 pm

At least the production version of the C8 PR has a centre justified logo.
Steve
The half minute which we daily devote to the winding-up of our watches is an exertion of labour almost insensible; yet, by the aid of a few wheels, its effect is spread over the whole twenty-four hours.
Charles Babbage


@Avo238

George Smiley
Senior
Senior
Posts: 83
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:15 pm
CW-watches: 3

Re: Chat with Chris 2016

Post by George Smiley » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:17 pm

fishman wrote:
George Smiley wrote:I'm selfishly saddened at the logo change....I was looking forward a new and even better c60 diver, BUT with such a poor logo, it's likely to put me off. Hope I'm wrong though. :shock:
Don't worry, the logo will look just fine! Remember that you can always send it back for a full refund.

That's very true, and always a great reason to buy CW I agree. :thumbup:

Post Reply