LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

CWL Watch servicing

Post by Kip »

Recently a question was asked regarding servicing a CWL watch. I thought it was a good question so I put it forth to Chris.

Regarding battery changes....
Most companies insist upon having the watch returned to them if still under warranty even for a battery change.

[Kip]If (when) a battery needs to be replaced does it have to be returned to CWL in order to maintain the warranty?

[chris] no… lots of brands say this…but then they would when they charge hundreds opf pounds for what is a simple job…

Typically a battery will last an average of 2 years or so and most makers require the watches to be returned if still covered by the original warranty.

[chris] Any competent watchmaker can change a battery and resecure as back plate…why would the warranty be invalidated if done correctly…. Smoke and mirrors I’m afraid

Regarding future service....

[Kip] In 4-5 years time when my automatic needs a service can I send the watch back to CWL?

[Chris] Yes….we are also working on setting up a 3rd party servicing centre too.

In conclusion it would seem it is ok to have your watch battery changed by a qualified watchmaker even though the watch is covered by a 5 year warranty.

When it comes to regular or needed service or maintenance the watch should be sent to CWL currently if still under warranty. This may change in the future but for now that is the only option to maintain the warranty.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
ctafield

Re: CWL Watch servicing

Post by ctafield »

Good news. I think we all knew it was smoke and mirrors anyway! Some of these more expensive brands will try and rinse you for every penny if you let them.

On a similar note, I have emailed Wera, who forwarded the email to Chris and Lois, regarding repair of my C7 and C8 bezels as both (yes, even the C8) are very scratched. Hopefully I should be able to tag on the information I receive to this thread.
Monkey
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7
LE-two: yes

Post by Monkey »

Kip wrote: [Chris] Yes….we are also working on setting up a 3rd party servicing centre too.
So they will be able to service any make of watch then, and presumably a bit cheaper than a 'main brand' manufacturer would be???

I know with my watch, I was told it will have to be sent back to Ebel and they will pretty much take the thing apart, replace certain bits, re-paint the lume, and 'sonically' clean the movement and gawd knows what else....all for a fee of well over £200 if memory serves me right?!! :shock: but guess that's ballpark for these type of watches?!!
John
ctafield

Post by ctafield »

Monkey wrote: I know with my watch, I was told it will have to be sent back to Ebel and they will pretty much take the thing apart, replace certain bits, re-paint the lume, and 'sonically' clean the movement and gawd knows what else....all for a fee of well over £200 if memory serves me right?!! :shock: but guess that's ballpark for these type of watches?!!
Alas, yep! Rolex wanted £220 as a starting point to service my Date Just, and Tag wanted £150 to replace a battery in my wife's Aqua Something.

If it's simple stuff like cleaning etc... then I don't see why CW Servicing couldn't do it, but if you need new parts then they might struggle.

Same as getting a car repaired really! :)
andyfry
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 4

Post by andyfry »

I have often wondered why there aren't more cheaper (affordable) watch makers/repairers out there.

I have been quoted over £200 a time to get my vintage Omega's serviced. Indeed when I bought my last Seamaster the "kind man" in the store advised me to think that the reccomended service window of every 5 years that one should expected to pay about 1/3 of the price of the (new) watch.

I was rather shocked but bought it anyway as I had my heart set on that model then.

I always supposed would be able to find a non-branded service centre/watch maker who would do it cheaper but just as well. As you say just like servicing a car. (Afterall who services their car with the main dealer after the warranty period?)
Proud owner of a C8 - IPK "Black Hawk" (#90), a C5 - AKK (#747) - with black date wheel, a C40 - SKS (#281) and now a 2009 LE C20 (#62)
Monkey
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by Monkey »

andyfry wrote:I have often wondered why there aren't more cheaper (affordable) watch makers/repairers out there.

I have been quoted over £200 a time to get my vintage Omega's serviced. Indeed when I bought my last Seamaster the "kind man" in the store advised me to think that the reccomended service window of every 5 years that one should expected to pay about 1/3 of the price of the (new) watch.

I was rather shocked but bought it anyway as I had my heart set on that model then.

I always supposed would be able to find a non-branded service centre/watch maker who would do it cheaper but just as well. As you say just like servicing a car. (Afterall who services their car with the main dealer after the warranty period?)
I think I'll take advice on servicing mine a little nearer the time!! I need to find out exactly what will be done, and if anyone other than Ebel (or who-ever does their servicing in this country?) will be able to do it properly and have access to whatever parts are needed?!!

No panic just yet tho.....only had it 3 weeks :D
John
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

andyfry wrote:I have often wondered why there aren't more cheaper (affordable) watch makers/repairers out there.
First there is a big difference between a true watchmaker and a watch repair man. Regardless there is a terrible shortage of both. Neither gets paid much according to the skills that they have (need), and the proper training is both long and vigorous. The only ones who are truly paid well are the Master Watchmakers who work for there own firms or major manufacturers or head up major repair centers. Attrition is killing this field.

As a result a routine service can take from 4 to 12 weeks and much more if a watch needs to be returned to Switzerland for any reason.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
andyfry
Senior
Senior

Post by andyfry »

Kip wrote: As a result a routine service can take from 4 to 12 weeks and much more if a watch needs to be returned to Switzerland for any reason.
Even more reason why I think we would all welcome it if Chris finds a way to open a 3rd party watch servicing facility, that is reasonably priced and adequately staffed/resourced.
Proud owner of a C8 - IPK "Black Hawk" (#90), a C5 - AKK (#747) - with black date wheel, a C40 - SKS (#281) and now a 2009 LE C20 (#62)
andyfry
Senior
Senior

Post by andyfry »

Monkey wrote: No panic just yet tho.....only had it 3 weeks :D
You do just that. Afterall that is just what a fine watch is for ;-)