CWL August Launch Info

News related to Christopher Ward Watches
WatchLove_OS
Expert
Expert

Re: CWL August Launch Info

Post by WatchLove_OS »

Good observation M500! Theres also one missing! (Im sure the final product will have all its screws in place!

EDIT: just checked the picture again, all screws seem to be in place! My bad!
Lamps
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2
LE-two: yes

Post by Lamps »

The C8SWT looks the best out of the bunch. But I'll not be getting one,I like the C8 but its just not for me, think I'll hold out for the C7 and/or theC13 and may be even a C2. All quartz I know, I would never have wrote this 2 months ago :o , like I said before, the C4 has changed my world view on quartz, I'm proud to state, I'm no longer an Quartz snob and it feels, gggoooooooooooooooooooddddddddddd!!! 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
WatchLove_OS
Expert
Expert

Post by WatchLove_OS »

lamppo_the_GasFitter wrote:I'll hold out for the C7 and/or theC13 and may be even a C2. All quartz I know,
The quartz is whats holding me back on those two models! I'll probably get the C8
Daz
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Daz »

:)
Terminator 2
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by Terminator 2 »

Daz wrote:The trouble with mechanicals is once you have several you start thinking how much is this going to cost me when they are all due a service. I'm starting to buy more quartz's from now on, I can change battery's no problem for peanuts. :)
Im going totally the other way. I have been resurecting some of my old watches and the quartz if I am honest have been annoying me. Even though I am fitting new batteries I will be lucky if they last two or 3 years before I need to do it all over again. That means breaking seals just for starters so theoretically a new battery means new seals etc hence probably a service. My autos though spring to life even after 10 years standing idle and I am not breaking seals to boot.

Im not convinced on this servicing lark either. At the end of the day a quartz still has a lot of moving parts too so that means it should also require servicing but unless its £1500 who really bothers. Okay watchmakers may regard this as herecy but I bet there are loads of old watches that have never had a service in their life. My father has a hand wound gold watch for instance that he has had for 48 years. Its never been serviced and it still works fine and I bet this watch is by no means unique. So my inclination is now to go auto. If it stops working after god knows how many years then I will get it serviced. However if it keeps on working then fine.

:wink:
WatchLove_OS
Expert
Expert

Post by WatchLove_OS »

Plus Autos are beautiful to look at, smooth, continuing, flowing..........a true representation of "time" with no pauses......JMHO!
flashman
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 3

Post by flashman »

It was the breaking seals issue that started putting me off quartz. A few of my watches are sealed and every time you change a battery they charge you for a reseal and pressure test. You could not bother sealing, on the basis that you may not need the functionality - not diving etc, but that goes against the grain with me. If the watch is a dive watch I want it to be fully functional. Probably would still be tempted by a quartz but it would have to be really special 8)
m500dpp
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
CW-watches: 4

Post by m500dpp »

EDIT: just checked the picture again, all screws seem to be in place! My bad!
Ah but someone has sorted it, I still have the original!!!!

anyway, good work to sort it so quickly!!!
Lamps
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Lamps »

WatchLove_OS wrote:Plus Autos are beautiful to look at, smooth, continuing, flowing..........a true representation of "time" with no pauses......JMHO!
I know what you mean, its this that put me of quartz for so long, but i use the chrono function alot, so I get my smooth,continuing, flowing hit from that, and because the second hand is small and tucked away on the sub register, i tend not to notice that much.
flashman
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by flashman »

I find the auto - quartz question really difficult to be honest. I get all of the points of view being expressed here and that's what makes it difficult for me :? . I find myself changing my mind on it on a regular basis, but the most consistent feeling I have about it is that I'd have another one, but it would have to be something that was really exceptional. I'm not even sure how I'd define that in a non auto watch, but I reckon I'd know it if I saw it...though maybe not instantly. The C3 for example was my first CWL (other one is a C5 and I really rate it...); I liked the look of it at the time as I love chronos, but in hindsight I know I wouldn't buy it now - it's just not special enough even though it is a reasonable watch. Out of the new quartz offerings, it looks like possibly the C2, and maybe the C7. Just not sure yet, I want to see more pictures and see a bit of feedback.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

flashman wrote:I find the auto - quartz question really difficult to be honest. I get all of the points of view being expressed here and that's what makes it difficult for me :? . I find myself changing my mind on it on a regular basis, but the most consistent feeling I have about it is that I'd have another one, but it would have to be something that was really exceptional. I'm not even sure how I'd define that in a non auto watch, but I reckon I'd know it if I saw it...though maybe not instantly.

Quartz..Auto..... :kopfwand: I fully understand Flash. Although I much prefer mechanicals, I have several quartz. Strap on and go....funny how I never really care that is is quartz once it is on the wrist. I just find it hard to buy one. So why do I own them? Mechanicals.. The beauty of the movement seems to lend them a gentle spirit....Quartz..Auto... :kopfwand:
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Russ-Shettle
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by Russ-Shettle »

flashman wrote:I find the auto - quartz question really difficult to be honest. I get all of the points of view being expressed here and that's what makes it difficult for me :? . I find myself changing my mind on it on a regular basis, but the most consistent feeling I have about it is that I'd have another one, but it would have to be something that was really exceptional. I'm not even sure how I'd define that in a non auto watch, but I reckon I'd know it if I saw it...though maybe not instantly. The C3 for example was my first CWL (other one is a C5 and I really rate it...); I liked the look of it at the time as I love chronos, but in hindsight I know I wouldn't buy it now - it's just not special enough even though it is a reasonable watch. Out of the new quartz offerings, it looks like possibly the C2, and maybe the C7. Just not sure yet, I want to see more pictures and see a bit of feedback.
Flash,

I guess I’m the lucky one. There’s no question in my mind!

Russ
flashman
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by flashman »

Yes, I think you are of the same mind on this Kip...i.e. two minds :? . Perhaps you could consider reintroducing electric shock treatment in the near future for the good of all... :lol:

Russ, you are lucky. I wish I had your certainty in this. I do tend to lean to auto as you probably gather, but then I see some quartz that has "that certain something" and think, well, I don't want to miss out on that. The thing that's haunting me (and I suspect others) is that Chris put the C6 out and then made the forum special auto version. If I bought say the C2 and then he did that I'd be gutted... :( I think the C2 may well be the one this time as well. It is ripe for an auto; more than say the C7 which I think (and you could throw some light on this...) is more problematic for him to do.
Russ-Shettle
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by Russ-Shettle »

flashman wrote:Russ, you are lucky. I wish I had your certainty in this. I do tend to lean to auto as you probably gather, but then I see some quartz that has "that certain something" and think, well, I don't want to miss out on that. The thing that's haunting me (and I suspect others) is that Chris put the C6 out and then made the forum special auto version. If I bought say the C2 and then he did that I'd be gutted... :( I think the C2 may well be the one this time as well. It is ripe for an auto; more than say the C7 which I think (and you could throw some light on this...) is more problematic for him to do.
Flash,

Special auto versions and LE’s? Think about it. Chris is a business man. He knows how to bait that proverbial hook! There’s no reason the Kingfisher couldn’t come standard as an auto like the C5 but it made a great LE! The C1 however, is a slightly different story due to that one complication.

Problematic? The only real problem I see with making and selling mechanical chronographs, the C3, C4, and now the C7 is the high cost for the required Swiss movement and keeping the selling price below cloud level. Just not possible. If his business continues to excel like it has, he may do this someday but look for them to be nearly twice the price.

Watches like the C2 should be a manual wind or at least an auto. I can’t understand why CW isn’t doing this. Like the Malvern, it has no complications so why not? Unless he’s planning on “LE’s” Sneaky! The C2 has that popular retro look and retro’s are mechanical. My opinion about the C1 was the same. It should have been a manual wind and that’s what I wanted the C2 to become. I would hold out because I smell an “LE” for the future!

The C7: I have to admit: Of all the chronographs I’ve ever seen, this is the best looking one by far. I could actually buy this watch on looks alone, being Quartz.

I guess what you really want to understand is why I’m so hell-bent on mechanicals. Two reasons: 1. Watches with quality mechanical movements are highly valued, have greater resale value and the potential of becoming serious collector’s items. Not my opinion, I read this somewhere but I believe it to be true. Is it debatable? Everything is debatable! 2. it’s simply a personal preference for something I just have a deep respect for. I don’t expect people to understand unless they have an affinity for this age old craft. I even have respect for the cheap Chinese mechanicals and some, I hate to admit, are actually quite amazing.

Russ
paw3001
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by paw3001 »

I agree with you Russ. There is something special about somebody putting that many separate mechanical parts together and getting them to move together seamlessly.

A mechanical movement gives the Timepiece it's heart and I never get tired of hearing that "Tick Tick" ticking away and watching the sweeping movement of the second hand.

Who cares that quartz is more accurate I don't worry about 5-10 seconds here and there.
Watches - Too many but not enough!