Waranty

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
DB
Junior
Junior

Waranty

Post by DB »

In the case of buying a very early second hand CW malvern of someone who might reconsider his purhase. How wil the waranty be from CW ?
Lets say its only 3 months old ? Does the fact it is second hand makes the waranty unvalid ?
El Tiempo
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 0

Post by El Tiempo »

The CW website says there is a 5 year warranty on the movement. I don't know whether they warranty products to second hand owners. Companies that do are very rare I would think.

No reason to be discouraged though. I don't think anyone here has reported problems with their watch. If it's a 2824-2 movement, you've got one of the most popular movements in the world, which will be easily servicable/repaired for at least a generation.

What model are you considering?
Warhol
Senior
Senior

Post by Warhol »

I think you won't have a problem with your watch.

But the warranty is not subscribed for one person is it? So you can't just use the warranty of the second hand watch.. at least, I guess.
Hans
Administrator Emeritus - Founder
CW-watches: 7
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes

Post by Hans »

If you get the watch including the original papers, I can't see why the waranty wouldn't be valid anymore...
DB
Junior
Junior

Post by DB »

Maybe its on personal name ?
El Tiempo
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by El Tiempo »

I don't think it should apply and I don't think it's fair. CW's responsability is to the original purchaser of his products. The end. No one can argue CW doesn't give his buyers the best. Why should someone who buys the watch at a discount, USED, get the same perks as me? If the discount is tiny, because the watch is only a couple of months old, then pay the difference and get that great CW service for yourself. Along with a warranty.

I just bought a C.F. Martin guitar. My guitar is warrantied for the rest of my life. Would it be right to sell the guitar in 15 years and have the warranty pass to the next buyer? Of course not. Although, if I was smart, I would've registered the guitar in my daughters name. :P

There, I think I've made my point and made a cleverly diguised brag post at the same time.

Bragadocious,

El Tiempo
joerattz
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by joerattz »

El Tiempo wrote:I don't think it should apply and I don't think it's fair. CW's responsability is to the original purchaser of his products...My guitar is warrantied for the rest of my life. Would it be right to sell the guitar in 15 years and have the warranty pass to the next buyer? Of course not
I disagree. I can't state what CW's warranty policy is. Just looking at their site, it doesn't say anything about the warranty only applying to the original purchaser. It does however mention the movement warranty is good for up to 5 years after the date of purchase. Of course, it would only be reasonable to be 5 years from the ORIGINAL date of purchase. But, it doesn't state one way or the other as to whether it applies to subsequent owners. Chris, perhaps a little more clarity on the warranty on the web site would help?

But, I suspect if you email Christopher Ward and ask, you will find out for sure.

From my perspective, what should it matter if the owner is the original purchaser or not? If the movement has a 5 year warranty, it should have a 5 year warranty.
DB
Junior
Junior

Post by DB »

I had a very friendly and assuring PM from Chris not to worry.

Consequently I will not worry and take the CW watches very serious in my consideration to acquire myself a new watch. Second Hand / Vintage
( in this case a very young vintage ;) )....or a new one for that matter. Whatever the case maybe.

The question was made to get some clarity about the coincidence, of me looking towards CW watches and to the fact I came across some one who wanted to sell one at the same time.

To clear some things up. I would never hesitate to buy a new one if the waranty would be gone, and I still might go for a new one even if the discount is big on a second-h and it still will have waranty. There are more reasons for me which I am taking in acount.

One great thing is to find that Chris gives me a very reassuring feeling that if you buy a CW watch there is great service!

Also I find it a very grand and nice gesture of him that, If someone really likes his watch very much but might not have the full amount of money for a new one, he still would be able to acuire his dreamed watch and even get the waranty.

I must say I have had my share of encounters with so called high priced / end vendours in diferent area`s and they sure could learn something from Chris.

So to the already CW owners I think you should be proud you have already one ! ..The initials are starting to grow on me :).

@ El Tiempo, the best disquise ,....is no disquise :twisted: