Exclusive CW Forum Prototype Sale

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Jkpa
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Re: Exclusive CW Forum Prototype Sale

Post by Jkpa »

I think this is wonderful by CW. I don’t get the cynical angle at all. Definitely not a money grab. How much profit is really in 20 ish watches? Not enough to spend the time talking about it. What difference does a few grand make to CW in the grand scheme of things? It’s nothing.

I hope to get lucky but if I’m not, I hope the new owners love their unique pieces.
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by TheBeatles »

welshlad wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:03 pm As I say, the banal speedposts will be removed, but for some of the users being referred to they have actually made some very useful posts in the pursuit of the 25 threshold, e.g. additions to the Reference Gallery are always welcome.

So, relax a little.
I’m totally relaxed, I was just amused at someone’s blatant attempt to boost post numbers.

And a sudden reappearance of a poster after 6/7 months is contentious and coincidental to say the least.

Numerous pictures after such a gap is speed posting by the back door whichever way you look at it. And the Mods seem to condone it. (see above)
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
JasperCat
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by JasperCat »

Rather than comment on the perceived “value” of prototypes compared to released model variants… I’ll just post an example…

My prototype C65 Trident Diver in bronze… exactly the same spec, movement, finish, detail and quality as any of the released C65 Trident Divers… but it’s in a bronze case!

Is it any better or worse than any other model… absolutely not, but one thing is (fairly) sure… there is no other quite like this one. Even the C65 Trident SH21 bronze was realised in a quantity of 150, although a superb watch too.

So for me, and I suspect others too… the prototypes do have some intrinsic value, not monetary but uniqueness and perhaps even pride of ownership :thumbup:

As always… YMMV :D

213F810D-946D-4816-A434-9D9193734A9F.jpeg
C1 - Bel Canto, Grand Malvern 5 Day
C5 - FLE
C60 - Concept
C65 - Cranwell, Super Compressor
C9 - 5 Day Small Seconds
Omega - Aqua Terra, SMP Nekton
Breitling - SuperOcean
Rolex - Air King
jesierras
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 8

Post by jesierras »

I was just telling the misses that this was a real smart move. They just had a ton of purchases through the sale earlier this month. Now they have 18 prototypes that are working up a frenzy. I have to imagine that these will sell in a blink of an eye and people that didn’t get one will buy something else in the sale.

CW is gonna sell all 18 and then who knows how many more from this. Very smart.
cw Bunches
OMEGA Speedmaster Professional MOTFM
Too Many now to count
Thunder1
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12

Post by Thunder1 »

Jkpa wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:41 pm I think this is wonderful by CW. I don’t get the cynical angle at all. Definitely not a money grab. How much profit is really in 20 ish watches? Not enough to spend the time talking about it. What difference does a few grand make to CW in the grand scheme of things? It’s nothing.

I hope to get lucky but if I’m not, I hope the new owners love their unique pieces.
Word.. :thumbup:
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a lowcut dress that zips up the side..neither gets the love that they deserve..
Thunder1
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12

Post by Thunder1 »

JasperCat wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:47 pm Rather than comment on the perceived “value” of prototypes compared to released model variants… I’ll just post an example…

My prototype C65 Trident Diver in bronze… exactly the same spec, movement, finish, detail and quality as any of the released C65 Trident Divers… but it’s in a bronze case!

Is it any better or worse than any other model… absolutely not, but one thing is (fairly) sure… there is no other quite like this one. Even the C65 Trident SH21 bronze was realised in a quantity of 150, although a superb watch too.

So for me, and I suspect others too… the prototypes do have some intrinsic value, not monetary but uniqueness and perhaps even pride of ownership :thumbup:

A point well made.. :thumbup:
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a lowcut dress that zips up the side..neither gets the love that they deserve..
Molan
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by Molan »

nordwulf wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:20 pm Some seem to have negative feelings toward the CWA group here on the forum and in the other group but we're just another community of CW fans.
Yes, I have seen quite a lot of negative feelings about CWA. Mostly around people who were barred from other groups for racist, misogynist and abusive comments and subsequently moved to CWA.

It only takes a few people like this to give a group a bad reputation.
About 6 Christopher Wards, Omega, Tudor, Halios, Breitling, Bremont, Rado, TAG Heuer, Nomos, Hamilton, Sternglas
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

jkbarnes wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:18 pm
triffidman wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:30 pm This is one jumble sale I won't be attending, simply through self respect.
A ”not for me” and move on would have sufficed, rather than throwing an insult at anyone who might be interested in the sale. There’s a real undertone of “some of you are suckers too stupid to see this for what it is” to your posts.
Come on, the blokes entitled to his opinion the same as we all are
tralls
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 10

Post by tralls »

Thunder1 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:04 pm
JasperCat wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:47 pm Rather than comment on the perceived “value” of prototypes compared to released model variants… I’ll just post an example…

I totally agree. I also have a prototype and feel that it is totally unique.
Will_75
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

Post by Will_75 »

tralls wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:01 pm
Thunder1 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:04 pm

I totally agree. I also have a prototype and feel that it is totally unique.
I would love to own one hence I’m part of this conversation.

I’ve missed out in open sales, and the only ones I’ve been offered through enthusiasts’ groups have been, well, let’s just say, it was obvious when they didn’t make it to production 🤢
CWE admin and all round watch nerd. Usually found irresponsibly browsing the sales page.
angusbon
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by angusbon »

Molan wrote:
nordwulf wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:20 pm Some seem to have negative feelings toward the CWA group here on the forum and in the other group but we're just another community of CW fans.
Yes, I have seen quite a lot of negative feelings about CWA. Mostly around people who were barred from other groups for racist, misogynist and abusive comments and subsequently moved to CWA.

I know who you are referring to, I've found CWA to actually be a true reflection of enthusiastic fans of the brand. It's run superbly by Frank and his mod team and doesn't lean towards current trends that appear on the majority of most watch groups involving gossip etc.
Being a member of all CW Facebook groups, I found the biggest one ( in numbers) to include the most racist, ageist, sexist members I've ever seen where they don't get pulled up.

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk

jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

TigerChris wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:45 pm Come on, the blokes entitled to his opinion the same as we all are
He absolutely is! I wasn’t challenging his opinion, but just the manner in which he expressed it.
Drew
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

For a thread that should create much pleasure to all it appears to have far too many angst ridden posts.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

Molan wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:14 pm

Thanks angusbon!

There has never been any kind of this activity on the CWA group and CWE members repeating these allegations without any proof is not only annoying but insulting to all of our 2800+ members. There is a confused CWE member who keeps repeating this **** and he never provided any proof. We can't interview every member and see what they are about.

Please stop regurgitating this nonsense about CWA. It was already talked about in the CWE group and the admins sided with this confused member. I remember seeing some misogynist posts on CWE that were up for a long time. Talking about the pot calling the kettle.. and the regular drama there..

Sorry to bring this up in this thread but this had to be said.

Now let's get back to the prototypes..

Most of these are sold at full price without any discounts. Except for the ones that are sold as Nearly New. Some are prototypes for a reason and they can be difficult to resell.
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by kiter65 »

I must admit that I have just man scanned this, but from a lot of the posts on here if I were CW I would just say f#$k it why go to all the trouble of setting this all up with Kip....just put them up for sale on the website :escape:

Note...I’ve not signed up and have no intention of buying any :D