C65 AM vs C63 GMT

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

C65 AM vs C63 GMT

Post by jkbarnes »

There’s been quite a lot of discussion lately about watch diameters, bezel to dial proportions, lug to lug measurements, and how all that impacts wrist presence and perceived size on the wrist.

As I look at my own CWs, I have a 38mm C65 Trident Vintage and a 41mm C65 AMGT LE. The C65 AMGT LE looks big on my smaller wrist, bigger even than my 42mm Seiko Sea Urchin. The C65 TV looks a lot smaller in comparison than those 3mm would suggest.

I really like the C63 GMT and am thinking it might be a purchase down the road, however I’m worried about it wearing larger than I’d like on my wrist. If it wore as big as my AMGT, I don’t know that I’d like it. (I like that the C65 AMGT LE wears big, but a GMT, maybe not so much.)

Does anyone have a C65 AM series watch and the new C63 GMT that they could show side by side for a comparison?
Drew
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Re: C65 AM vs C63 GMT

Post by MiniMpi »

jkbarnes wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 1:10 pm Does anyone have a C65 AM series watch and the new C63 GMT that they could show side by side for a comparison?
Not yet.....but I will do at the start of June as I'm waiting on the C63 GMT but it's on Pre-Order, well the bracelets are which holds up me getting the watch.
I will do that comparison for you when it arrives though Andrew :thumbup:
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Excellent! Thanks Ferg. :D
Drew
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

I think the C63 GMT will wear slightly smaller than the C65 AM GT, Andrew.

Taking precise measurements from the official CW photos using Photoshop's Ruler tool, I think the C65 AM GT dial is about 32mm, whereas the dial on the C63 GMT seems to be about 31mm. Not much in it, but combined with the smaller case diameter and shorter lug-to-lug (47.1mm vs 45.8mm) I think the C63 will definitely feel a little smaller.

Of course, you've got a real C65 AM GT to hand, so if it turns out my estimate of 32mm dial size is wrong then I'll think again. But I have measured the two watch images in a consistent way, so I should be consistently wrong across the two! :)
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

welshlad wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 4:38 pm I think the C63 GMT will wear slightly smaller than the C65 AM GT, Andrew.

Taking precise measurements from the official CW photos using Photoshop's Ruler tool, I think the C65 AM GT dial is about 32mm, whereas the dial on the C63 GMT seems to be about 31mm. Not much in it, but combined with the smaller case diameter and shorter lug-to-lug (47.1mm vs 45.8mm) I think the C63 will definitely feel a little smaller.

Of course, you've got a real C65 AM GT to hand, so if it turns out my estimate of 32mm dial size is wrong then I'll think again. But I have measured the two watch images in a consistent way, so I should be consistently wrong across the two! :)
Thanks for the numbers. I’ve been a bit fascinated by all the discussion lately about watch dimensions and perceived size. I was comparing numbers for the two models as listed in the CWArchives. And as informative as they are, it still comes down to how it looks on the wrist. The wild card is perceived size and watch type, if that makes sense. I don’t mind the AM GT looking big on my wrist because I think it suits (suites?) the watch, being a chronograph. I want it to wear big. A GMT? Not so much.

I’m eagerly awaiting Ferg’s comparison photos.
Drew
5oclockhero
Senior
Senior

Post by 5oclockhero »

The sapphire measurements according to a post in the sealander thread are GMT 32.8mm and Auto 33.8, they were being compared to a C60 42mm case which has a 33mm sapphire. Hopefully you can relate those to your AM GT watch.
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

jkbarnes wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 4:49 pm And as informative as they are, it still comes down to how it looks on the wrist. The wild card is perceived size and watch type, if that makes sense. I don’t mind the AM GT looking big on my wrist because I think it suits (suites?) the watch, being a chronograph. I want it to wear big. A GMT? Not so much.
Completely agree. Everyone's perceptions are different. The C65 Super Compressor Ocean Blue is a good case in point. If you regard the white internal bezel as part of the dial then it will seem to wear large. If you perceive the white internal bezel to be an extension of the case and the dial is just the blue part then it seems to wear small. I'm in the latter camp, others are in the former. And that's fine.

Similar to your point on the C65 AM GT, I have two 44mm C8s with pretty large dials - but they are fine to my eyes/brain because they are Aviator watches and meant to be large. In any other watch style they would seem ludicrously too big to my eyes/brain.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

welshlad wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 7:17 pm ...The C65 Super Compressor Ocean Blue is a good case in point. If you regard the white internal bezel as part of the dial then it will seem to wear large. If you perceive the white internal bezel to be an extension of the case and the dial is just the blue part then it seems to wear small.

...I have two 44mm C8s with pretty large dials - but they are fine to my eyes/brain because they are Aviator watches and meant to be large. In any other watch style they would seem ludicrously too big to my eyes/brain.
Two excellent examples to illustrate how subjective perceived size is, even by the same person with the second example.
Drew
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

JKB, not quite the comparison you wanted but here's the C63GMT v Dartmouth (same size and L2L as the AM). For me the GMT wears noticeably smaller and it took me a couple of days to get used to the C63 size compared to my C60s/C65s. I'm used to the different dimensions and think the C63 is excellent.

With my modest 7.25" wrist, I would even say that anything smaller than the C63 Gmt would be too small for me.
20210522_215143.jpg
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Kansas City Milkman wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 10:01 pm JKB, not quite the comparison you wanted but here's the C63GMT v Dartmouth (same size and L2L as the AM). For me the GMT wears noticably smaller and it took me a couple of days to get used to the C63 size compared to my C60s/C65s. I'm used to the different dimensions and think the C63 is excellent.

With my modest 7.25" wrist, I would even say that anything smaller than the C63 Gmt would be too small for me.

20210522_215143.jpg
That’s fantastic, thank you. The C63 does read noticeably smaller to me, in a very good way.

EDITED TO ADD: I’m still eager to see Ferg’s pic because the C65 AM will have a silver bezel like the C63 GMT - a bit more apples to apples.
Drew
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

jkbarnes wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 10:04 pm
Kansas City Milkman wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 10:01 pm JKB, not quite the comparison you wanted but here's the C63GMT v Dartmouth (same size and L2L as the AM). For me the GMT wears noticably smaller and it took me a couple of days to get used to the C63 size compared to my C60s/C65s. I'm used to the different dimensions and think the C63 is excellent.

20210522_215143.jpg
That’s fantastic, thank you. The C63 does read noticeably smaller to me, in a very good way.
No probs, JKB
Noush
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Noush »

The Dartmouth will wear identically to my C65 Trident Diver which has the same size specs/dial/bezel arrangement.
The Trident wears just fine on my 6.25" wrist, doesn't overwhelm it at all, and very comfortably too.
The C63 GMT has VERY similar physical spec and balance of dial to bezel and all that stuff as my Formex Essence 39, save thickness. I've dummied-up all sorts of side-by-side pics as I'm very interested in the C63 GMT too. I can tell you the Formex wears noticeably smaller than the C65. In fact the sweetest of sweet spots.
Hope that helps.
Chris
"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans" : John Lennon.
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by StrapMeister »

Kansas City Milkman wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 10:01 pm JKB, not quite the comparison you wanted but here's the C63GMT v Dartmouth (same size and L2L as the AM). For me the GMT wears noticeably smaller and it took me a couple of days to get used to the C63 size compared to my C60s/C65s. I'm used to the different dimensions and think the C63 is excellent.

20210522_215143.jpg
I'm also interested in a C63 GMT so that's a very useful and helpful side-by-side - thank you for taking the time to do that :thumbup:

P.S. Love the socks :D
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Post by MiniMpi »

MiniMpi wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 3:01 pm
jkbarnes wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 1:10 pm Does anyone have a C65 AM series watch and the new C63 GMT that they could show side by side for a comparison?
Not yet.....but I will do at the start of June as I'm waiting on the C63 GMT but it's on Pre-Order, well the bracelets are which holds up me getting the watch.
Sadly I won't be able to do that for you Andrew, apologies my friend, change of plan.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

MiniMpi wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 9:33 pm
MiniMpi wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 3:01 pm
Sadly I won't be able to do that for you Andrew, apologies my friend, change of plan.
No apologies necessary! The thread, and included pic, was already pretty informative for me.
Drew