A hybrid strap question.

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Gar787
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 7

A hybrid strap question.

Post by Gar787 »

Morning all. Forgive me if this has already been done but a bit of advice please? A friend of mine is about to purchase a C63 Sealander Elite on the bracelet, but wants another strap option. He has forwarded me a picture of a black/orange hybrid strap (not the black/orange edged hybrid it is offered with.) I know it’s ultimately down to personal preference but he is asking me for advice. My only experience of CW’s hybrid straps is when I purchased the last C7 Apex LE which turned up with a solid black hybrid and a red/black hybrid. I felt that they were stiff and rather cheap looking and sent them back, electing a red/black peccary instead. (The original strap the the Apex was advertised with was no longer available.)

I understand that CW have improved the latest hybrids over the first generation, can anyone confirm/deny this? I’m sure, given time, the hybrid would ‘soften’ but I did not like the quality if I’m being brutally honest. My personal opinion of the black/orange hybrid (with the central orange band running through the strap) is that it’s too much for the Elite and would overly detract from the dial and he’d be better sticking with the orange edged hybrid as it’s more subtle. Failing that, I’d go with the fabric ‘tide’ option which he could use on his recent Omega Seamaster 007 purchase also.

I have a ‘tropic’ strap on another CW and I do like it’s lightness and flexibility by CW don’t appear to do one at 20mm and he’s set his heart on having a little orange in there. I’m sure many of you have been here before, he’s a good friend with a nice (but elite) watch collection and I’ve been hounding him to join our ‘gang’ for years and I want to give him the best advice I can. Many thanks in advance, Phil.
PHIL
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Re: A hybrid strap question.

Post by JAFO »

The first hybrid straps were Ok, but were thickish, as you found out. The new ones are much the same material and design, but thinner and more flexible. I like them, especially the two tone varieties. I am not sure about non leather straps in general though, and it seems rather expensive to buy some of these straps to try out. Sailcloth, Cordura, Rubber, Silicone etc.

It's the same with everything though. CW Cordovan leather straps are over £100 and that's a lot to pay to try one out. If your friend has high end watches, I guarantee he wouldn't be disappointed with a CW cordovan.

CW straps are actually at the inexpensive end of OEM straps.
5oclockhero
Senior
Senior

Post by 5oclockhero »

I always buy my watches on straps as personally I'm not a fan of bracelets. I've tried lots of various leather fabric etc straps over the years. IMO the latest cordura/rubber hybrid from CW is one of the best non leather straps I've come across. It is super comfy and has a quality feel to it. I love that its got the practicality of rubber yet looks like its fabric. The all black version pairs with most watches. I think with a hybrid and a leather strap and change from the price with a bracelet you've got all bases covered.

You could also look at the Hirsch James performance strap which is a leather hybrid and apparently quick release too. I've not tried that one yet though; its on my list possibly to go on a C63 GMT ...
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

Apparently all new hybrids are V2. I have v1 on my Anthropocene and it's OK, but the v2 is much nicer to wear. I like the addition of the colour on the hybrids
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by ajax87 »

I have both the V1 and V2 hybrids, and the V2 are definitely more flexible and comfortable. I enjoy wearing the V2 where I never enjoyed wearing the V1. Buy the V2 hybrid with confidence.

I personally think the elite looks the best on the black/orange hybrid. Besides the bracelet of course.
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
Gar787
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Gar787 »

Many thanks Gents, excellent as ever.
Alex, the advertised black/ orange hybrid is edged in orange, this is the look I’d go for. My friend seems to want the full on black/orange hybrid with orange edging and a centre-band. For me, that’s too much for the watch and I’d plump for the advertised one. It’s all about personal preference of course, but what’s your take on that please?
PHIL
Bident
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by Bident »

Gar787 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:58 am I have a ‘tropic’ strap on another CW and I do like it’s lightness and flexibility by CW don’t appear to do one at 20mm and he’s set his heart on having a little orange in there. I’m sure many of you have been here before, he’s a good friend with a nice (but elite) watch collection and I’ve been hounding him to join our ‘gang’ for years and I want to give him the best advice I can. Many thanks in advance, Phil.
I have a V1 20mm blue and a V2 20mm black Hybrid, both recently purchased in the Nearly New sale and just random luck (or unluck) that I got one versus the other. I think the comfort of the V2 is much higher, although I find it needs to be one hole tighter than the V1 since it is thinner and tends to not support a heavier watch as well as the thicker V1.

Also, I have both a blue and black CW tropic (22mm). The V2 Hybrid wears very similarly to the CW tropic. They're essentially the same thing except the Hybrid of course has the Cordura layer on top rather than the basket weave patterned rubber of the tropic. The V2 Hybrid might be a bit stiffer because of the Cordura layer, but it is substantially the same feeling on wrist in my opinion.
Best regards,
John
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I never tried the V1. The V2 is fine over a prolonged period. I wouldn’t call it the most comfortable strap in the history of the universe, but then I don’t think any hybrid or rubber strap is, really. It does the job, it looks good (certainly my blue/orange version does) and if you’re going to get it wet and sweaty it’s a good choice.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by ajax87 »

Gar787 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 4:56 pm Many thanks Gents, excellent as ever.
Alex, the advertised black/ orange hybrid is edged in orange, this is the look I’d go for. My friend seems to want the full on black/orange hybrid with orange edging and a centre-band. For me, that’s too much for the watch and I’d plump for the advertised one. It’s all about personal preference of course, but what’s your take on that please?
Actually, the only version is with orange center band. You just can’t see it in the model photos because the model only shows it with the dial faced out. The orange band only runs where the buckle holes are located, so the top side next to the watch head doesn’t show the orange band. Personal preference aside, that should help make the decision!
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by exHowfener »

I bought (what became) the V! when it first came out. To me, it's fantastic looking but I find it to be really uncomfortable - to the extent that I no longer wear it. I can't imagine that it will EVER soften, I think it would survive anything! When I swapped over to a Barton elite strap, it was like taking new boots off and pulling on my favourite slippers. I've read that the V2 is more comfortable, which is probably why there actually is a V2, but I wouldn't buy another one. That's just me though, others have a different opinion, so take your pick.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
Gar787
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Gar787 »

That’s a great help. Like I’ve mentioned, the V1 was no good for me...too stiff. Alex, I see what you mean now...I’m not the brightest these days. The good news for CW is that he’s also after the C60 Trident Pro 600. (I’m going to slyly steer him towards the C60 Elite GMT with a view to nabbing either that or the Sealander off him in about 12 months...😜) Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated and we appear to have another ‘convert!’
PHIL
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

One factor to consider with the current CW rubber straps, is that the hybrid gets an amount of stiffness from the top layer of Cordura, which is a pretty hard wearing fabric.

I recall seeing or hearing comments (but can't remember where) that the tropic is softer and more flexible, compared to the hybrid, simply because it is effectively a hybrid strap without the top layer of (stiffening) Cordura.

If that helps and makes sense.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Gar787
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Gar787 »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 12:51 am One factor to consider with the current CW rubber straps, is that the hybrid gets an amount of stiffness from the top layer of Cordura, which is a pretty hard wearing fabric.

I recall seeing or hearing comments (but can't remember where) that the tropic is softer and more flexible, compared to the hybrid, simply because it is effectively a hybrid strap without the top layer of (stiffening) Cordura.

If that helps and makes sense.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk
Yes, spot on Guy. I have a tropic strap on another CW and it is Cordura free and very supple consequently. I like it but my pal wants a little orange in there so we will wait and see.
As an aside, I had my first look at his Omega 007 on Saturday. Very nice but at £7800, you’d expect it to be. It’s on a Ti Milanese style bracelet with a cumbersome clasp which is not for me. He’s bought his C63 Elite with the hybrid and the bracelet (as have I...✌️) I’m looking forward to doing a comparison between the two Ti watches...standby for an update when the CW’s arrive.
PHIL
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

^^^^ :thumbup: :thumbup:

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Time Turner

Post by Time Turner »

The current hybrid straps are fantastic, well worth the cost.