CW’s resizing service

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Re: CW’s resizing service

Post by H0rati0 »

JAFO wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 3:41 pm If you all find it easier to resize a pin and collar bracelet, I need a new tool. I find inserting any pin, even a cotter pin to be a difficult process at times. Is there a special tool to help push them back?
The best way to get them back in is with a hammer. Insert manually, tap gently until level with the bracelet shoulder and then seat home with the punch or press if necessary. I keep both a press and hammer/punches in my tool box, neither are expensive - but make sure you have spare pins and I advise a choice of sizes if you are planning on doing this on different watches.

A bracelet holder is also a good idea, I prefer the clamp type, if necessary it can be put in a vice and everything locked firmly so both hands are free.

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/holdi ... ode=B37143

All IMHO of course.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
Bungle-ator
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Bungle-ator »

I wouldn't thank you for the faff of removing and inserting pins.
It's very simple to change links with screws if you make sure you've got the correct screw head (and I really don't mean using a screwdriver from a random small set that you'd buy for glasses). You certainly don't need anywhere to lay the watch.. Loctite shouldn't be a problem at all but a short soak in warm water would sort it if it was. I've never felt the need to reapply loctite either and I've never had a screw loose (personal references may indicate otherwise).
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

H0rati0 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 9:19 am
JAFO wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 3:41 pm If you all find it easier to resize a pin and collar bracelet, I need a new tool. I find inserting any pin, even a cotter pin to be a difficult process at times. Is there a special tool to help push them back?
The best way to get them back in is with a hammer. Insert manually, tap gently until level with the bracelet shoulder and then seat home with the punch or press if necessary. I keep both a press and hammer/punches in my tool box, neither are expensive - but make sure you have spare pins and I advise a choice of sizes if you are planning on doing this on different watches.

A bracelet holder is also a good idea, I prefer the clamp type, if necessary it can be put in a vice and everything locked firmly so both hands are free.

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/holdi ... ode=B37143

All IMHO of course.
I am glad you confirmed I am doing it the right way. I struggle to get the pins back in through the collars with a hammer. I actually use a small flat bottomed trophy, and put a credit card between the pin and the hammer for protection, but I feel there must be a better way I have tried to use a pin pushing tool with partial success but it's hard to keep the tool on the domed head of a pin. I even tried to use a collar as a guide to ensure the pin is pushed correctly, which worked, but then managed to bend a collar. I came to the conclusion that OEMs must have a special pin insertion tool that they don't tell us about.

I will have a look at the vice. I hadn't seen those before.
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

JAFO wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 11:53 am
I am glad you confirmed I am doing it the right way. I struggle to get the pins back in through the collars with a hammer. I actually use a small flat bottomed trophy, and put a credit card between the pin and the hammer for protection, but I feel there must be a better way I have tried to use a pin pushing tool with partial success but it's hard to keep the tool on the domed head of a pin. I even tried to use a collar as a guide to ensure the pin is pushed correctly, which worked, but then managed to bend a collar. I came to the conclusion that OEMs must have a special pin insertion tool that they don't tell us about.

I will have a look at the vice. I hadn't seen those before.
I would not use the credit card between, you should not need protection it as there should not be a requirement for a lot of force - gentle taps and sensitivity should do it. If you need force, something is wrong. On some bracelets the pins need to go in against the arrows (eg Seiko) though usually that is so you know which way to take them out again! Some bracelets hold a collar in the centre link (make sure you have not lost it) some need the clamp to hold one side while you apply pressure on the other but any collar should guide the pin in either case after you have felt for the initial engagement.

The hammer is not strictly necessary, it should be possible to just push the pin in with any flat surface, eg pliers but, life is not always perfect!
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

Bungle-ator wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 9:40 am I wouldn't thank you for the faff of removing and inserting pins.
It's very simple to change links with screws if you make sure you've got the correct screw head (and I really don't mean using a screwdriver from a random small set that you'd buy for glasses). You certainly don't need anywhere to lay the watch.. Loctite shouldn't be a problem at all but a short soak in warm water would sort it if it was. I've never felt the need to reapply loctite either and I've never had a screw loose (personal references may indicate otherwise).
Yeah, I have to agree it's a faff - whether screws or pins, I can't say I enjoy either! As you say, with screws the exact size screwdrivers are an absolute and they need to be high quality. Once in a while the Loctite can be a problem or maybe there's dirt/corrosion even on a "new" bracelet, then, in most cases a little heat is the answer (150 degrees centigrade has never failed me - though that is not enough for red Loctite if some previous crazy has used it) but always much patience required and above all one must not rush!

On reassembly the Loctite should be still serviceable, so no need to reapply unless you went mad with heat or chemicals.
Bident
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by Bident »

JAFO wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 11:53 am I am glad you confirmed I am doing it the right way. I struggle to get the pins back in through the collars with a hammer. I actually use a small flat bottomed trophy, and put a credit card between the pin and the hammer for protection, but I feel there must be a better way
If you are using a nylon ended jewelry mallet, there is no need for additional protection since the nylon is much softer than steel. You can see in the attached picture that the nylon end of my mallet is pocked since it gives upon impact with the pin as it hammers into the collar/bracelet:
IMG_7224.jpeg
One tip: I have found holding the mallet at the end of its handle while hammering provides much better leverage and power. If I held the mallet in the middle of its handle, it would take longer and be more difficult to hammer in the pin. Holding the mallet at the end of the handle makes the pin go in fast and easy.

Hold like this:
IMG_7226.jpeg
Hope this helps!
Best regards,
John
Deks
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 23

Post by Deks »

I use the screw tool in reverse to start putting the pins back in, slowly turning the tool to reinsert the pins then just use the hammer for the last 3mm. So easy and no marking to the bracelet or bent pins. I do it slowly and gently and it works a treat. Everyone to their own but it works perfectly for me
Dilbert
Senior
Senior

Post by Dilbert »

H0rati0 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 9:19 am
The best way to get them back in is with a hammer.
I agree and recommend the Bergeon 30417 Watchmaker Hammer to make life easy :thumbup:

Also, Bergeon makes a great Watch Bracelet Pin Remover too.