C63 Sealander Collection

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Re: C63 Sealander Collection

Post by timor54 »

For those with Instagram @bowlofsalmon has just started posting some very nice photos of the white GMT that really show it in a good light.
Tim
TPS10
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 7

Post by TPS10 »

I received my C63 white GMT today, which is my first purchase from CW for 7 years. Wow, am I impressed! The packaging is now a thing of beauty and really adds to the purchase experience. And then there’s the watch, which is undoubtedly a step up in quality since my last purchase. This watch will definitely get a lot of wrist time, well until the Elite turns up in early June!
62BC862B-0D09-4165-80AD-1F6F06BF569F.jpeg
2B9AFBE7-C28A-45D3-B70C-CD0B81028B20.jpeg
A3F22B1C-D1B2-4053-ABCC-B7CB8B6D877A.jpeg
56ED28D6-8888-4F0D-80BA-172C55A4E623.jpeg
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

My thoughts on the range.
I'll write a review of the Sealander Elite when I get mine.

C63 Sealander Range

Mike France has referred to this range as “The Everywatch”. I thought about this and I came up with “everyone, everywhere, every time”. So how do they stack up against this?

Everyone - The Christopher Ward website has been non-gender specific for quite some time. They haven’t sold a range of watches aimed specifically at women for many years and so this is likely a result of that. However it does capture the zeitgeist quite nicely. At 39mm the watches may still be too large to be truly “everyone watches”. There are still a couple of 38mm C60 Tridents in the range but the majority of watches are 40mm or greater in size. The new C63 is also slimmer than most of the range too and should suit smaller wrists and if this range is a success then I wonder if they’ll introduce 36mm versions to further broaden the appeal.

Everywhere – With a 150m water resistance, a range of straps and bracelets and a sophisticated but subtle look these are definitely Go Anywhere, Do Anything (GADA) watches. They would look good from boardroom to beach. A definite hit here.

Every time – A new GMT movement from Selitta, discrete sizing, 150m water resistance and conservative colour ways. These could well be the “Gateway” watch for a lot of people. The pricing provides exceptional value. My tastes run towards the Sealander Elite but for many other people these could be the only watch they ever need.

In terms of design, the CW reference is the C65 Anthropocene. There is a certain resemblance to the Explorer and Explorer II with both the Automatic and GMT. It’s ironic that the Explorer II everyone wanted Rolex to introduce at Watches and Wonders has been made by Christopher Ward. The choice of colourways is conventional. I would like to see a broader colour palette in the future. Christopher Ward has a beautiful blue dial on the C60 Trident and has had success with other colours such as yellow on the C65 316L LE. These watches are ideal canvasses for all of these colours. But not green. I’m bored with green already but an orange 36mm might be fun.

For me the standout of the range is the Sealander Elite. At only 40g in weight and with a height of 10.7mm this is a discrete, interesting design with just the right amount of colour to offset the dial. This is the real “everywatch” for me. I can see one making its way to me very soon. This collection show cases Christopher Ward’s design and engineering nous and brings their watches within reach of a new audience. This is just what we want to see from CW and these should be a real success for the brand.
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

^^^ that's a very well-considered summary, Mark. Thanks.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

welshlad wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:38 pm ^^^ that's a very well-considered summary, Mark. Thanks.
Thanks.
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
Mkutch

Post by Mkutch »

I’m interested in the C63 Auto and have read through this thread seeing a few persons comment that the 39mm case size may wear a little bigger on the wrist.... While 39mm is slightly small for my personal preference, I’m curious if someone with an Auto can measure the sapphire-crystal diameter, from the inside-edge of the case to the opposite side inside-edge. (I am assuming the auto has a thinner bezel on the case than the GMT has.)

I’d like to compare this number to a couple of my Other watches in my stable that have a larger case size but potentially similar dial/crystal size... and might then give me an idea of how the C63 might visually ‘wear’. Hoping to find that the C63 indeed does have a larger face than expected.

Thanks!!
AlphaLimaGolf
Junior
Junior

Post by AlphaLimaGolf »

My auto arrived about an hour ago, here are a few pics on different straps, lume shot too! Am very impressed, but then I didn't expect anything else after owning a C60 trident for over a year.

IMG_1201.jpg
IMG_1200.JPG
IMG_1199.JPG
IMG_1198.jpg
IMG_1197.JPG
IMG_1196.JPG
IMG_1189.JPG
Last edited by Bahnstormer_vRS on Thu May 06, 2021 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Attached photos 'Placed in Line' - https://www.christopherwardforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=55242
MichaelMD
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 1

Post by MichaelMD »

Anyone seen an "Elite" in the flesh yet? Really curious to see some real world shots of this watch.
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

Mkutch wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:03 am I’m curious if someone with an Auto can measure the sapphire-crystal diameter, from the inside-edge of the case to the opposite side inside-edge.

Thanks!!
Hi Mkutch, welcome to the forum! I don't have callipers, so have just measured the crystal size best I can with a ruler - 34mm :thumbup:
watching you fail in your quest for a “one watch” has been great entertainment
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
AlphaLimaGolf
Junior
Junior

Post by AlphaLimaGolf »

For those wondering about dial size, it's actually almost 1mm wider than the 42mm C60 trident's dial - see photos below with callipers. I have also included my 40mm Tissot Gentleman for reference.

I have a smidge under 7 inch wrist and it fits me perfect (well fits as I like non dive sport watches to wear).

IMG_1195.jpg
IMG_1194.jpg
IMG_1193.jpg
IMG_1190.jpg
AlphaLimaGolf
Junior
Junior

Post by AlphaLimaGolf »

Black dial GMT arrives tomorrow, so if anyone wants some photos and measurements of that, let me know.
Pullingteeth

Post by Pullingteeth »

I think it wears bigger but sits very nicely on the wrist , and the lume colour is great

D7EA8164-CDB7-46AE-8C63-8984CD14EFD2.jpeg
141C5CDE-C248-4483-B75F-F4272E77BD1E.jpeg
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

MichaelMD wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:50 pm Anyone seen an "Elite" in the flesh yet? Really curious to see some real world shots of this watch.
I don't believe it is out 'in the wild' yet, Michael, as it has been slated as Pre-Order end of May, since it was released.

Additionally, it doesn't appear to have been reviewed by any of the usual suspects yet.

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

AlphaLimaGolf wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:57 pm For those wondering about dial size, it's actually almost 1mm wider than the 42mm C60 trident's dial - see photos below with callipers. I have also included my 40mm Tissot Gentleman for reference.

I have a smidge under 7 inch wrist and it fits me perfect (well fits as I like non dive sport watches to wear).

IMG_1195.jpg

IMG_1194.jpg

IMG_1193.jpg

IMG_1190.jpg
Thanks for these photos.

Its noticeable how the lug-2-lug is quite a bit shorter than the Trident Mk3; a key indicator of how well a watch will 'wear'.

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
AlphaLimaGolf
Junior
Junior

Post by AlphaLimaGolf »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 2:40 pm Its noticeable how the lug-2-lug is quite a bit shorter than the Trident Mk3
Yes, it's not just caused by the 3mm smaller case, the lug lengths are shorter on the C63 auto too.

I actually expect the dials are the same size, makes sense to re-use the same template (albeit with the date/logo positional changes) to reduce development costs. I think the difference my callipers measured was caused by the wider (shallower sloped) chamfered edge on the C63's crystal.

It's also interesting to note a couple of other small differences:

The dial is more recessed on the C63 (which I like) despite it being the thinner watch by 2mm.

The gun metal hands and indices do increase legibility over the C60, but you do lose some of the light play and sparkle as you move the watch in the light. I guess this is a trade off most won't mind.