I knew this was too easy

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

I knew this was too easy

Post by jkbarnes »

After only two days on a strap, I decided the C65 Trident Vintage needed to go back on the bracelet. It’s just too perfect a watch on the bracelet to not be on the bracelet.

The bracelet (non QR) came off with ease two days ago. This morning I popped the QR strap off in seconds. I got one side of the bracelet affixed in about 10 seconds on the first go! “This will be the easiest bracelet change I’ve ever done!“ I thought to myself. And that’s where I jinxed it.

I switched the watch around to attach the other end of the bracelet when I noticed some schmutz on the end link and the lugs. Gave it a quick clean/scrape away with my finger nail then proceed with mounting the bracelet.

And that’s when I saw it - big drops of crimson blood dropping everywhere! In cleaning the gunk apparently I cut the tip of my finger open! And it’s right at a spot, just under the nail, where it’s damn near impossible to apply direct pressure or get a band aide in there! It’s not a bad cut, mind you, but you know how the fleshy tip of a finger can bleed!

Finally got the bleeding to subside. I’ve skipped the band aide and gone with New-Skin liquid band aide (an old favorite of my grandfather’s) because of the location of the cut. I’ll finish mounting the bracelet in a minute.

I did contact CW customer service about the lethality of the sharp edges on their bracelet end links. I told them how it was a good 18 seconds before I could get the bleeding stopped. They said that was well within spec, which is stopping within 20 seconds. I cut myself on my bracelet for my Seiko and it didn’t bleed at all. If a cheap watch like a Seiko doesn’t even draw blood, I don’t understand how CW can say 18 seconds to stop bleeding is acceptable?! Just terrible customer service.

#wiggleswashere
Drew
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Re: I knew this was too easy

Post by jkbarnes »

After all that, I got the bracelet on only to discover I had it backwards! Had to remove it and do it all again.
Drew
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

:lol: :lol:
Get well soon!
watching you fail in your quest for a “one watch” has been great entertainment
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

jkbarnes wrote:After all that, I got the bracelet on only to discover I had it backwards! Had to remove it and do it all again.

AAAABCF2-D774-4504-8997-EF14B7CD5E1E.jpeg
Schoolboy error. :eek: Image

Guy

PS≥ I'm wondering whether this is in the right forum. I suppose 'General Discussion' as it's about a CW watch, but then should it be 'Straps' as its about removing and refitting strap / bracelet.

Alternatively, should it be 'Off Topic' as it relates to a Medical Mishap.

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:49 pm PS≥ I'm wondering whether this is in the right forum. I suppose 'General Discussion' as it's about a CW watch, but then should it be 'Straps' as its about removing and refitting strap / bracelet.

Alternatively, should it be 'Off Topic' as it relates to a Medical Mishap.
I thought about that before posting - general discussion or straps? Never considered off topic because medical emergency that ensued! 😂😂😂

And yes, definitely a rookie mistake with the orientation of the bracelet. And that was after checking to make sure I had it right, so a double fail on my part!
Drew
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

jkbarnes wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:41 pm
I did contact CW customer service about the lethality of the sharp edges on their bracelet end links. I told them how it was a good 18 seconds before I could get the bleeding stopped. They said that was well within spec, which is stopping within 20 seconds. I cut myself on my bracelet for my Seiko and it didn’t bleed at all. If a cheap watch like a Seiko doesn’t even draw blood, I don’t understand how CW can say 18 seconds to stop bleeding is acceptable?! Just terrible customer service.

#wiggleswashere
:lol: this will never get old!
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

jkbarnes wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:41 pm I did contact CW customer service about the lethality of the sharp edges on their bracelet end links. I told them how it was a good 18 seconds before I could get the bleeding stopped. They said that was well within spec, which is stopping within 20 seconds. I cut myself on my bracelet for my Seiko and it didn’t bleed at all. If a cheap watch like a Seiko doesn’t even draw blood, I don’t understand how CW can say 18 seconds to stop bleeding is acceptable?! Just terrible customer service.
Classic, Andrew! :lol: :clap:

But really, you carry out watch défromagement with your fingernail??? :kotz:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thermexman »

Rather enjoyed your jibe about being within acceptable tolerances/spec for cessation of the bleeding, however, I disagree with CW on this instance. I think they’ll find that the 20 seconds that they quoted for this type of injury is COSC spec and your watch, if I’m not mistaken, only has the standard, non COSC movement?

As long as your finger doesn’t fall off after 2mins, you have no complaint!
Steve.
Amor Vincit Omnia

Thermexman wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:10 pm I think they’ll find that the 20 seconds that they quoted for this type of injury is COSC spec
Contrôle Officiel du Sang Coulant
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
DEV.Woulf
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by DEV.Woulf »

jkbarnes wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:41 pmI did contact CW customer service about the lethality of the sharp edges on their bracelet end links. I told them how it was a good 18 seconds before I could get the bleeding stopped. They said that was well within spec, which is stopping within 20 seconds. I cut myself on my bracelet for my Seiko and it didn’t bleed at all. If a cheap watch like a Seiko doesn’t even draw blood, I don’t understand how CW can say 18 seconds to stop bleeding is acceptable?! Just terrible customer service.
:rollsmile: :yes: :rollsmilie3:
Christopher Ward | LORIER | MONTA | SEIKO

Joseph.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Thermexman wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:10 pm Rather enjoyed your jibe about being within acceptable tolerances/spec for cessation of the bleeding, however, I disagree with CW on this instance. I think they’ll find that the 20 seconds that they quoted for this type of injury is COSC spec and your watch, if I’m not mistaken, only has the standard, non COSC movement?

As long as your finger doesn’t fall off after 2mins, you have no complaint!
So basically, if I survive long enough to contact customer service, it’s within spec.
Drew
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thermexman »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:15 pm
Thermexman wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:10 pm I think they’ll find that the 20 seconds that they quoted for this type of injury is COSC spec
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Had to Google it. :oops:
Steve.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:15 pm
:lol: :clap: :clap:
Drew
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

UPDATE: I emailed Mike France. He was very apologetic and is having metal file for those lethal edges sent out to me along with a vial of blood for my loss. That’s a great gesture for sure, but one should not have to go straight to the top get a vial of blood. When I ordered my Strapcode bracelet for my Seiko, it came with a pint of O-, a trauma kit, and a robotic bracelet mounting machine. CW just sent me spring bars with the bracelet. Unacceptable.
Drew
Amor Vincit Omnia

jkbarnes wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:24 pm CW just sent me spring bars with the bracelet. Unacceptable.
I quite agree. It's nearly spring and there are no bloody bars open!
Steve