Discuss Christopher Ward watches
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Sandhurst crown

Post by stefs »

Hi
Can anyone tell me if I have rogue sandhurst? Mine does not have a screw down crown and I thought that a push in crown was correct for this model. However qubo mentioned in cwotd that the nn one he picked up in the sale recently does have. Also a forum regular had to return one recently if I remember correctly. (May have been a rotor issue ) and that also had a screw down crown which we thought was odd.

I have just looked at the cw website and it does indeed show the sandhurst as a screw down crown. Does this make mine a wrong un and do any other owners have a push pull crown?
Surely cw has not changed the design midway into such a short life cycle for this watch?
Thanks for any info
Cheers now, Paul
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Re: Sandhurst crown

Post by jkbarnes »

stefs wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:20 pm Surely cw has not changed the design midway into such a short life cycle for this watch?
Thanks for any info
I think that’s exactly what they did. I recall reading on another thread awhile ago that CW was adding screw down crowns to C65 models based on customer feedback.

I’m sure someone with more specific knowledge will chime in.
Drew
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

My original Sandhurst that had to go back with spinning rotor syndrome had a push-pull crown.

After a failed repair attempt, they sent me a replacement watch which had a screw-down crown.

I think it's all above board, but must be a fairly recent change on this particular model given my experience.
Ryan
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by Thermexman »

Paul, they have indeed phased in screw down crowns on the military watches and the C65s. I’ve just picked up a NN Dartmouth that is a non screw down crown and the handbook clearly states that it has a screw down crown. I wondered if this was correct and found a review from when they were launched and it was mentioned that they didn’t have a screw down crown.
Steve.
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by stefs »

Ok gents thanks.
Reassuring I guess. Only in the world of cw eh!
Cheers now, Paul
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

stefs wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:23 pm Ok gents thanks.
My NN Dartmouth was bought this Jan and does not have a screw down crown, where as the later versions do. I guess the same as your Sandhurst
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

stefs wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:20 pm Hi
Can anyone tell me if I have rogue sandhurst? Mine does not have a screw down crown and I thought that a push in crown was correct for this model. However qubo mentioned in cwotd that the nn one he picked up in the sale recently does have. Also a forum regular had to return one recently if I remember correctly. (May have been a rotor issue ) and that also had a screw down crown which we thought was odd.

I have just looked at the cw website and it does indeed show the sandhurst as a screw down crown. Does this make mine a wrong un and do any other owners have a push pull crown?
Surely cw has not changed the design midway into such a short life cycle for this watch?
Thanks for any info
The running change is mentioned in the model notes section of the C65 Sandhurst Series I in the CWArchive.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by stefs »

Thanks Kip.

Any clue as to why the quick change to a screw down ? The WR is unchanged I assume. Was there any known issues with the original push in crowns?
Cheers now, Paul
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

As far as I know it came down to the volume of customer comments and requests related to these watches.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
JasperCat
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by JasperCat »

My C65 Cranwell (from last June) doesn’t have a screw in crown, and I’m glad if it... love that I can just pop it out for few seconds and pop it back in again, when I want to reset the time :D

The military C65 series also have slightly larger crowns too, compared to other C65s, which gives them a more “utility” feel :thumbup:
C1 - Bel Canto, Grand Malvern 5 Day
C5 - FLE
C60 - Concept
C65 - Cranwell, Super Compressor
C9 - 5 Day Small Seconds
Omega - Aqua Terra, SMP Nekton
Breitling - SuperOcean
Rolex - Air King
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

Kansas City Milkman wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:36 pm
stefs wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:23 pm Ok gents thanks.
My NN Dartmouth was bought this Jan and does not have a screw down crown, where as the later versions do. I guess the same as your Sandhurst
Likewise, my Dartmouth bought last year has the push pull crown. I'm not really too worried by that, it still has 150m WR should I want to go swimming.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Jcalder68
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Jcalder68 »

I realise that I am a bit slow on the uptake for this thread, but I needed to check this after finding a YouTube review on the Sandhurst where the reviewer clearly demonstrated a screw-down crown.
I’ve had a brief trawl through the current CW site and the Sandhurst and Dartmouth models are now listed as having screw-down crowns. Likewise, the auto version of the C65 Divers are also listed as such. On the other hand, the Cranwell and C65 GMT are listed with push/pull crowns.
I’ve always liked the fact that I can easily give any of my models a quick boost on the wrist, or get them going from flat without the need to faff with a crown screw or risk cross-threading when doing it back up, but now the added resilience of a screw-down crown is gnawing at the back of my mind....
I wonder what CW would charge to swap a case? Always worth an ask I guess
Keep safe everyone,
C
CW Watches - Malvern, Dartmouth, Lympstone, Sandhurst, Elite 1000, c60 300 Quartz.
Recently started hand making most of the leather straps you’ll see on my watches, happy to consider bespoke order for forum members.
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thegreyman »

Jcalder68 wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:18 am
I’ve always liked the fact that I can easily give any of my models a quick boost on the wrist, or get them going from flat without the need to faff with a crown screw or risk cross-threading when doing it back up, but now the added resilience of a screw-down crown is gnawing at the back of my mind....
I wonder what CW would charge to swap a case? Always worth an ask I guess
Keep safe everyone,
C
You said it yourself that you find the pull out crown convenient. I can't recall any threads on here of CW watches with pull out crowns getting water damage from the crown being accidentally left out (iirc, even in that circumstance there are gaskets to protect ingress).

If I were you I'd just enjoy the watch as is and not worry about it :)
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thermexman »

Thegreyman wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:27 am You said it yourself that you find the pull out crown convenient. I can't recall any threads on here of CW watches with pull out crowns getting water damage from the crown being accidentally left out (iirc, even in that circumstance there are gaskets to protect ingress).

If I were you I'd just enjoy the watch as is and not worry about it :)
I believe there was a guy who posted on here once, stating that he wore a C65 Auto or Vintage Diver in the sea and had water ingress? You’re correct in saying that there are gaskets to prevent that but I guess it depends on how long it’s submerged and how vigorously you thrash about?

I guess it’s a case of being mindful of the possibility of accidentally pulling the crown out?

I’ve got a Handwound C65 vintage and never had an issue with the pull out crown so receiving the C65 Dartmouth, with the same pull out crown, was no concern whatsoever to me.

However, coincidentally, I was walking the dog on Friday, whilst wearing my Dartmouth. When I got home I noticed that it had stopped! Thankfully, the crown had somehow being pulled out due to me putting my hand in and out of my pockets. It’s a first for me but serves as a gentle reminder to be careful when doing the dishes! (Note: I don’t dive and rarely swim)

All I’d suggest, and it’s what I’d do, is never deliberately swim with a pull out crown unless you’ve checked that it’s pushed in first.
Steve.
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Thermexman wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:59 am

However, coincidentally, I was walking the dog on Friday, whilst wearing my Dartmouth. When I got home I noticed that it had stopped! Thankfully, the crown had somehow being pulled out due to me putting my hand in and out of my pockets. It’s a first for me but serves as a gentle reminder to be careful when doing the dishes! (Note: I don’t dive and rarely swim)

All I’d suggest, and it’s what I’d do, is never deliberately swim with a pull out crown unless you’ve checked that it’s pushed in first.
I've had this with the C65 TD - crown catching on the edge of a pocket. I don't swim with it. But I wouldn't bother getting the case changed. Just use a swimming watch with SD crown. Or take the watch off.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)