My Chris Ward Assessment

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Wiggles
Senior
Senior

My Chris Ward Assessment

Post by Wiggles »

In the last four years I have owned three CW watches. My first watch was a C60 600 Trident Pro 43mm. A well made and put together diver with a poor lume and average bracelet. That said, the clasp was excellent. After nearly four years careful ownership I sold it for £100 more than it cost, so no complaints about residual value. About eighteen months ago I bought a C6 T3 Kingfisher. I have never really bonded with it, perhaps because it is a quartz, perhaps because it has a butterfly clasp, and perhaps because it is a little larger than my preferred size. To be fair, it is a reasonably well made watch, and it didn't cost me a fortune. Finally, my most recent purchase, the Super Compressor. Currently my favourite watch, with incredible aesthetics, case finishing, and crown action. It isn't without fault, as the movement accuracy is far from brilliant, and the internal bezel has back play.

I think we all have a different perceptions of the brands. CW promote themselves as a luxury brand, but at reasonable prices. I don't see the business like that at all, and believe they are a brand that offers a decent product at an acceptable price. I put them on par with Tissot and Glycine, although I tend to prefer their designs, with exception to the Glycine Airman, which is just stunning. I can't help but believe their QC isn't up to scratch, and their customer service can fall short. I post on several forums, and it's fair to say CW is a bit of a marmite brand. I am probably one of the few people on here who would prefer to have the watches made in China with the same spec, and sold at two thirds the price. Like I said, I realise I am in the minority amongst members of this forum having that belief. CW will remain on my watch map going forward, and I wish the company good prosperity.

I would be interested in reading other members perceptions of the company
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Re: My Chris Ward Assessment

Post by strapline »

Well, I do not own a CW watch, but I very much enjoy being a participant of this forum. It is a great source of information for all things watch related. Although I do not own a CW, so have never been in a position to examine one of their watches in the flesh, they do seem to offer quite a lot of watch for their price point. With this being a forum dedicated to the brand they have a huge amount of fans on here; so a thread that, perhaps, invites criticism or negative musings of what they offer may not be the best received.

I say this because I did see your extensive thread relating to you experiences with your C65 Supercompressor. It seems that you certainly have your reservations about the brand, even three watches down the line. They most certainly seem like a 'Marmite' brand to you, and yet you continue to dig your knife in to the pot. Might your energies and expectations be better met elsewhere; there are no shortage of watch brands out there.

Regards...
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
Wiggles
Senior
Senior

Post by Wiggles »

strapline wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:00 am Well, I do not own a CW watch, but I very much enjoy being a participant of this forum. It is a great source of information for all things watch related. Although I do not own a CW, so have never been in a position to examine one of their watches in the flesh, they do seem to offer quite a lot of watch for their price point. With this being a forum dedicated to the brand they have a huge amount of fans on here; so a thread that, perhaps, invites criticism or negative musings of what they offer may not be the best received.

I say this because I did see your extensive thread relating to you experiences with your C65 Supercompressor. It seems that you certainly have your reservations about the brand, even three watches down the line. They most certainly seem like a 'Marmite' brand to you, and yet you continue to dig your knife in to the pot. Might your energies and expectations be better met elsewhere; there are no shortage of watch brands out there.

Regards...
Thank you very much for your reply. I seem to remember saying my Super Compressor is my favourite watch, perhaps you missed that part. I am not one of those people who think brand X, Y, or Z do everything correctly because they are brand X.Y or Z, and in fact I find it very sad anyone can be like that. Don't just read the comments on this forum, visit a few others. Some people love CW, and some people really don't. I am constructively objective, and believe they do some things right, and some things wrong. I am also open minded enough to accept and appreciate other people may have different opinions to me. I am NOT going to come on this site and just say good things about the brand, that would be pathetic
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

I must say my perception of CW is wholly good.

I get a warm feeling from having a Swiss made watch with a long guarantee. My watches have all performed very well and have given me no problems, although they are all less than a year old. I am currently wearing my C65 vintage hand wound watch, which is one of my favourite watches. I paid £345 for this in a half price sale last year, and it was an absolute bargain. As a watch owner of a certain vintage myself, I am used to handwinding watches, I found automatic movements a novelty. I don't mind handwinding - as it makes the watch a little slimmer and you can see more of the movement (when you have a display case back). I haven't needed a service but it's good to know that when I do, it won't cost nearly as much as the watch, and I won't need to send it overseas. It's also reassuring that inside the watch is a well made industry standard Swiss movement.

My first purchase from CW was a half price Cordovan watch strap in honey which is as good as any watch strap I own, including several genuine alligator leather straps. The bader clasp on the CW Cordovan strap is a keeperless strap, similar to that on an Omega watch, and very stylish. Omega straps cost a lot more and still don't come with QR pins. The sheer quality of that strap gave me the confidence to buy the watches, and other straps, and I haven't been disappointed. The metal bracelets from CW now include QR pins, and adjustable clasps. You pay a lot for that with "bigger" brands.

I find the attention to detail is also present in the watches themselves. Not every design appeals to everyone of course, but I find plenty to like. The only obstacle is the potential cost of buying too many watches, and having so little time to wear them all.

I do have Chinese and other non-Swiss watches, which were a lot less expensive. I like having them, but they are disposable, in contrast to my CW and other Swiss watches.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

I think you are more likely to get the responses and the agreements you are looking for by posting on the other forums you frequent.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Wiggles
Senior
Senior

Post by Wiggles »

Kip wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:13 pm I think you are more likely to get the responses and the agreements you are looking for by posting on the other forums you frequent.
My God, I don't want people to agree with me, I want a discussion.
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by exHowfener »

Well the quick and short answer to your question is that I would agree that CW offer a decent quality watch at a fair price.

I only have one CW watch and a couple of straps and honestly have nothing to say about customer service as I haven't had a problem. Which is probably the case for the majority of customers? I did correspond about attending one of the GTG sessions (in Manchester) and found them responsive, helpful and polite.

If you want to quibble about being 'luxury', then fair enough, it is fairly meaningless. Like 'affordable' it's a relative concept. One could argue that anything more than a £20 digital watch is a 'luxury' as it's not necessary.

I don't read other forum content but I'm sure there are a variety of opinions on the company. I've read them in Youtube content. Personally I can't invest time and energy in hating any watch brand. I'd change that view if I found that someone was using slaves to make watches but otherwise, I either buy them or I don't. Usually I don't buy because I can't afford that particular model or brand!

Would I want CW to make their watches in China? Absolutely not. I'd rather they shifted production to the U.K. but that's because I'm British and would prefer to support people working in this country who are in skilled employment and paying taxes etc. I appreciate that for customers outside the U.K. that's a meaningless argument.

As an aside, I don't see why that should be too expensive - wages in Switzerland aren't low. I am considering as a next purchase an Ollech & Wajs watch and, despite being "over 90% Swiss content" they are very reasonably priced. If you don't like CW putting their wordmark at 9 o'clock though, don't bother looking at O&W!

And that's the long answer.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
markee
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

Post by markee »

I have always found the customer service to be really good especially if you visit the show room.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Inappropriate posts removed and topic closed.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.