Unprincipled speculators.

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Thermexman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Unprincipled speculators.

Post by Thermexman »

Been watching out on eBay for the yellow C65 LEs that recently popped up in CW’s sale. I missed out so was curious as to what they were going for on the Bay. Most are asking for buy it now or starting bids of £599. Nice mark up if you can get it.

However, I found one that must have had a low starting price, to entice you in, as it was at £200 ish at that point. The guy’s feedback had a couple of negative comments stating that he’d pulled out of sales for no reason! We can guess why though can’t we?

Anyway, this sale ended at £325, which is below what he bought it for. Sure enough, his feedback shows that he’s pulled out of this sale too!

It’s one thing being an entrepreneur but being an unprincipled one...? An auction is a gamble, don’t withdrawer just because it didn’t go your way!
:thumbdown: :problem:
Steve.
Viognier
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Re: Unprincipled speculators.

Post by Viognier »

Makes no sense. Why invite negative comments when he start the bidding at what he paid and hope it moves upwards...he's out nothing that way.

How many sales can you pull out of before eBay connects the dots and suspends someone.....
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
ajax87
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by ajax87 »

Isn’t it easy to set a reserve? Or maybe that costs more money and he’s being stingy? I’m not sure, I haven’t sold anything on eBay in over 10 years.
Alex
C5 Malvern Aviator Mk1|C60 Sapphire|C60 Abyss|C65 Super Compressor|C60 Trident mk3 GMT|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster mk40 Cosmos|Hamilton Intramatic chrono|Shinola Runwell auto|Tissot|Timex
exHowfener
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
CW-watches: 1

Post by exHowfener »

I agree, it makes no sense. If the seller has a 'bottom line' (and why not?) then they should just set a reserve price.
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 27
LE-two: 1
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1
LESeven: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

exHowfener wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:45 pm
I agree, it makes no sense. If the seller has a 'bottom line' (and why not?) then they should just set a reserve price.
. . .or use that price as your starting bid.

Personally, I find reserve prices a waste of time.

Guy
C1 GBT| C4&W7 BBMF| C5 BOB LE| C5 FLE| C7 MkI 47AD| C7 MkII Harrier| C8 MkI| C8 Reg LE| C8 M2.04 LE| C8 AD
C9 FLE| C9 Me109 SPC LE| C11 Mak Navy| C20 FLE| C40 x2| C60 K'fisher| C60 FLEx2
C60 Bronze-316L| C60 Apex-Elite P'type-AbyssSH21| C65 GMT| C1000