Senior
Senior

Re: WHAT WOULD YOU DO ?

Post by Wiggles »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:33 pm
Wiggles wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:33 am
The watch is running +18spd, which I know is within tolerance, but for me is unacceptable.
timing.JPG

I'm glad that demagnetisation has improved things for you.

But (slightly playing Devil's Advocate :wink:) the two things above don't quite add up. How would I (as CW) react if someone told me their watch was performing within advertised specs but it wasn't acceptable?

Did you not read the details before ordering?

Anyway, as I said, I'm glad it's OK.
Update. Unfortunately, although the demagnetiser initially did the job, it had since reverted back to gaining 1 8 SPD.

You are right, the tolerance of the movement falls into spec, and I have no legal address, however, I own several watches with this movement, and all of them are considerably more accurate. To be honest, I would be disappointed if I had purchased a £100 watch with an NH35 movement that performed as badly as that. I have emailed CW expressing my disappointment, but without expecting them to actually do anything. They are big enough to manage without my future business.
stefs
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by stefs »

Its no consolation but I would feel exactly the same. 18 seconds a day would really give me the hump when they are capable of so much better. To be honest it wouldn’t hurt cw to regulate this for you free of charge.
I certainly couldn’t settle with it running like that.
My name is paul and I am a watchaholic. It has been zero days since my last watch.
It'sAliveJim
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by It'sAliveJim »

Mrs Wiggles? Mr Wiggles? Wiggles? Mentions a £100 watch with an NH35 movement performing better than a Swiss-powered watch costing considerably more?

Have we been here before? :wave:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What the hell is he building in there?" Tom Waits
JAFO
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by JAFO »

I tend to feel in the end, a few seconds here and there is not such an issue.

If your watch is running 2 seconds out, after a week it's still off 15 secs, and you have to adjust it. So if it's a minute out after 4 days, it's not the end of the world. If we there that bothered, we would all just have quartz watches. Most of my watches just run down, and I have to set them for an evening out, and when I do they will be certainly be within a few seconds at the end of the night.

One of my favourite watches is a Davidoff. It loses at least 15 secs a day. It's mildly irritating, but I love wearing it. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=54474&p=819675&hili ... ff#p819675

People spend loads on watches such as speedmasters and even more on some PPs, and so on, that don't even have hacking seconds. You know a speedmaster probably isn't going to be fantastically accurate anyway, but it doesn't really matter.

If you get a watch without a second hand, such as the Malvern 595, you don't even think about the seconds.

I would just enjoy it as a lovely watch to wear, and leave it that.
Wiggles
Senior
Senior

Post by Wiggles »

JAFO wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:44 pm
I tend to feel in the end, a few seconds here and there is not such an issue.

If your watch is running 2 seconds out, after a week it's still off 15 secs, and you have to adjust it. So if it's a minute out after 4 days, it's not the end of the world. If we there that bothered, we would all just have quartz watches. Most of my watches just run down, and I have to set them for an evening out, and when I do they will be certainly be within a few seconds at the end of the night.

One of my favourite watches is a Davidoff. It loses at least 15 secs a day. It's mildly irritating, but I love wearing it. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=54474&p=819675&hili ... ff#p819675

People spend loads on watches such as speedmasters and even more on some PPs, and so on, that don't even have hacking seconds. You know a speedmaster probably isn't going to be fantastically accurate anyway, but it doesn't really matter.

If you get a watch without a second hand, such as the Malvern 595, you don't even think about the seconds.

I would just enjoy it as a lovely watch to wear, and leave it that.
Wiggles
Senior
Senior

Post by Wiggles »

But we are all different, and have different expectations. If I can spend a tenth of the price on a Chinese watch that keeps better time, why should I be happy. There are many enthusiasts who insist on great accuracy, all I expect is +/- 10spd, is that too much to ask?
Wiggles
Senior
Senior

Post by Wiggles »

Wiggles wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:31 am
But we are all different, and have different expectations. If I can spend a tenth of the price on a Chinese watch that keeps better time, why should I be happy. There are many enthusiasts who insist on great accuracy, all I expect is +/- 10spd, is that too much to ask?

PS after 2 days in a watch winder it is now running +20spd. Even my 1960s Cortebert is more accurate than that
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 27
LE-two: 1
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1
LESeven: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Wiggles wrote:
Wiggles wrote:

PS after 2 days in a watch winder it is now running +20spd. Even my 1960s Cortebert is more accurate than that
Two days?

But it was only yesterday that you demagnetised it. Wasn't it?

Something doesn't add up.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

C1 GBT| C4&W7 BBMF| C5 BOB LE| C5 FLE| C7 MkI 47AD| C7 MkII Harrier| C8 MkI| C8 Reg LE| C8 M2.04 LE| C8 AD
C9 FLE| C9 Me109 SPC LE| C11 Mak Navy| C20 FLE| C40 x2| C60 K'fisher| C60 FLEx2
C60 Bronze-316L| C60 Apex-Elite P'type-AbyssSH21| C65 GMT| C1000
JasperCat
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 10

Post by JasperCat »

Does all seem very odd. If you've demagnetised it AND ensured it remains nowhere near any magnetism, then I would fully wind it once, put it on the winder or (even better) wear it, and then see how it's doing after a few days.

I presume that you're using a time grapher to actually do these measurements, given that you demagnetised it and re-tested it within the space of an hour yesterday and got such a large change. I prefer to let them run for a few days and measure every 24 hours to settle them in, but other methods of testing are possible I suppose.

I would still check that your environment hasn't got a magnetic source in it, after all something caused it to become magnetised in the first place. If you read my post earlier, you'll see that the most benign looking things can contain magnets :shock:

Good luck :D
C60 Elite GMT 1000, C65 SH21 LE, C65 Cranwell, C8 Power Reserve, C65 Super Compressor,
C65 Blue Bronze Prototype, C65 Black Gold LE, C65 316L LE, C60 Trident Pro 600 MkII, C5 MMXV FLE

Incoming: C65 AM 2 VEV SE
Wiggles
Senior
Senior

Post by Wiggles »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:10 am
Wiggles wrote:
Wiggles wrote:

Two days?

Guy

what are you talking about. I put in my timegrapher when it arrived, demagnetised it, and it has been on the watch winder ever since.
Wiggles
Senior
Senior

Post by Wiggles »

JasperCat wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:42 am
Does all seem very odd. If you've demagnetised it AND ensured it remains nowhere near any magnetism, then I would fully wind it once, put it on the winder or (even better) wear it, and then see how it's doing after a few days.

I presume that you're using a time grapher to actually do these measurements, given that you demagnetised it and re-tested it within the space of an hour yesterday and got such a large change. I prefer to let them run for a few days and measure every 24 hours to settle them in, but other methods of testing are possible I suppose.

I would still check that your environment hasn't got a magnetic source in it, after all something caused it to become magnetised in the first place. If you read my post earlier, you'll see that the most benign looking things can contain magnets :shock:

Good luck
Fully wind an SW200 by hand, not unless you want to damage it. The ET2824 movement or any of its clones should NEVER be fully wound by hand. Yes, I have a timegrapher
gannet
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 4

Post by gannet »

Wiggles wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:24 pm
Bahnstormer_vRS wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:10 am
Wiggles wrote:
Two days?

Guy

what are you talking about. I put in my timegrapher when it arrived, demagnetised it, and it has been on the watch winder ever since.
Well you didnt demagnetise until yesterday morning... Now this morning around the same time you claim its had 2 days of running...
-- gannet.
A1soknownas
Expert
Expert

Post by A1soknownas »

I appreciate the frustration.

It does seem to operate to spec though so there is not much that can be done apart from paying to regulate it if it is that important - or return it.

Maybe you should buy cosc in future but that would likely cost more than the price of your current watch plus the regulation fee.

You never know. Wear on the wrist will offer different results to a winder and it is possible that after a couple of weeks it is fine or you forget about it anyway!
JasperCat
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 10

Post by JasperCat »

Wiggles wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:26 pm
Fully wind an SW200 by hand, not unless you want to damage it. The ET2824 movement or any of its clones should NEVER be fully wound by hand. Yes, I have a timegrapher
I agree that long term hand winding of any auto movement is perhaps not ideal, as (usually) the manual wind gears will not be as strong perhaps as a hand wind watch. However, I'm sure it's ok to wind the watch once fully and then wear it to ensure that you're operating it with as close to a full power reserve as possible.

If you just "get it going" and then wear it lightly and time it very soon after, is it possible that the accuracy will perhaps not be as good as if it is fully wound to start with ? Normal movement should then keep it "topped up".

The timegrapher is indeed useful as it will give you an instantaneous indication of rate, but I presume you have let it wind fully on a winder before making that measurement.

Ultimately though, the spec says -/+ 20 secs per day and it's within that (just), so unless it's wildly inconsistent then it perhaps just needs to settle for a bit and then get it regulated. I agree though, it would be nice if they were all regulated to a few secs per day when they arrive. It's one of the reasons why I choose Chronometers for my daily (work) wear watches (and keep them on a winder when not in use), to ensure a slightly better daily rate, whereas the fun/dress watches I don't really care, as I'll likely be wearing them for an evening at most or when (supremely) accurate time is less important :thumbup:
C60 Elite GMT 1000, C65 SH21 LE, C65 Cranwell, C8 Power Reserve, C65 Super Compressor,
C65 Blue Bronze Prototype, C65 Black Gold LE, C65 316L LE, C60 Trident Pro 600 MkII, C5 MMXV FLE

Incoming: C65 AM 2 VEV SE
JAFO
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by JAFO »

Seriously, it might be less accurate at a certain point of it's power reserve. Maybe the winder isn't maintaining the power enough. Can you try a watch that does run satisfactorily, record the timing over a couple of days for that on your wrist, and then repeat the process for the SC.

You could test it on a timegrapher, and then get it adjusted. If you aren't bothered about taking it in water you might be able to adjust it yourself.

I assume the advance/retard is accessible? Can someone advise how much you need to adjust the advance/retard. Is it an imperceptible fraction, or is it a little bit more than that. Can you do it while the watch is running? I've certainly played around with a carriage clock without seemingly making much difference. I just tend to re-adjust the clock time once a week. It's certainly easier, as you don't have to take the back off.