WHAT WOULD YOU DO ?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
JasperCat
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Re: WHAT WOULD YOU DO ?

Post by JasperCat »

JAFO wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:58 pm I assume the advance/retard is accessible? Can someone advise how much you need to adjust the advance/retard. Is it an imperceptible fraction, or is it a little bit more than that. Can you do it while the watch is running? I've certainly played around with a carriage clock without seemingly making much difference. I just tend to re-adjust the clock it once a week. It's certainly easier, as you don't have to take the back off.
I did once adjust a cheap Invicta diver that my stepson had, purely to see if it could be done. I didn't have a timegrapher and just (very lightly) touched the lever arm, as it didn't have an adjustment screw, and then left it overnight. It worked, but I'm sure would have been a lot easier with a timegrapher!

It found it did indeed just take an almost imperceptible movement either way to make a sizeable change :shock:
C1 - Bel Canto, Grand Malvern 5 Day
C5 - FLE
C60 - Concept
C65 - Cranwell, Super Compressor
C9 - 5 Day Small Seconds
Omega - Aqua Terra, SMP Nekton
Breitling - SuperOcean
Rolex - Air King
Wiggles
Senior
Senior

Post by Wiggles »

JasperCat wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:03 pm
JAFO wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:58 pm I assume the advance/retard is accessible? Can someone advise how much you need to adjust the advance/retard. Is it an imperceptible fraction, or is it a little bit more than that. Can you do it while the watch is running? I've certainly played around with a carriage clock without seemingly making much difference. I just tend to re-adjust the clock it once a week. It's certainly easier, as you don't have to take the back off.
I did once adjust a cheap Invicta diver that my stepson had, purely to see if it could be done. I didn't have a timegrapher and just (very lightly) touched the lever arm, as it didn't have an adjustment screw, and then left it overnight. It worked, but I'm sure would have been a lot easier with a timegrapher!

It found it did indeed just take an almost imperceptible movement either way to make a sizeable change :shock:
Timegraphers are very handy for regulation. They don't just tell you the accuracy, they also give you a good idea of the calibres general health. If you want the movement to perform consistently, and give you long service, the beat error needs to be accurate, and you can't adjust that without a timegrapher
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

Is it just me, or does anyone else find this whole thread fishy? A number of things seem odd to me.
  • a number of the OP’s statements don’t seem to add up with the time stamp of the post: original post on 2/11 at 4:33am ; 2/11 @5:31am - just demagnetized it; 2/12 @4:57 - “after two days in a watch winder...” (emphasis mine); Wait, what? A day after the initial post then demagnetized, he’s now saying its been on a winder for two days and is running worse?
  • He’s asking for advice, then is rather critical and harsh of the advice some are giving
  • He asks people what he should do but seems to completely ignore the very simple, relevant adice some have offered about his options - his mind seems clearly made up that this situation with a CW watch is BS, he doesn’t seem to want to listen to some practical advice being offered, and he also doesn’t seem to want to return it? What’s up with all that?
Sorry, but I think we’re being trolled.
Drew
JasperCat
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JasperCat »

jkbarnes wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:44 pm Is it just me, or does anyone else find this whole thread fishy? A number of things seem odd to me.
  • a number of the OP’s statements don’t seem to add up with the time stamp of the post: original post on 2/11 at 4:33am ; 2/11 @5:31am - just demagnetized it; 2/12 @4:57 - “after two days in a watch winder...” (emphasis mine); Wait, what? A day after the initial post then demagnetized gave, he’s now saying its been on a winder for tow days and is running worse?
  • He’s asking for advice, then is rather critical and harsh of the advice some are giving
  • He asks people what he should do but seems to completely ignore the very simple, relevant adice some have offered about his options - his mind seems clearly made up that this situation with a CW watch is BS, he doesn’t seem to want to listen to some practical advice being offered, and he also doesn’t seem to want to return it? What’s up with all that?
Sorry, but I think we’re being trolled.
I tend to give most people the benefit of the doubt initially, but am finding the whole thing a little odd too. Seems very knowledgeable but then unsure what to do with a watch that is likely actually running fine, or very easily regulated or at worst returned :problem:
C5 - FLE
C60 - Concept
C9 - 5 Day Small Seconds
Breitling - SuperOcean
Rolex - Air King
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

JasperCat wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:49 pm I tend to give most people the benefit of the doubt initially, but am finding the whole thing a little odd too. Seems very knowledgeable but then unsure what to do with a watch that is likely actually running fine, or very easily regulated or at worst returned :problem:
Me too, especially when it’s so easy to read unintentional meaning into someone’s post. But something just doesn’t add up here.
Drew
undetterred
Senior
Senior

Post by undetterred »

2 threads now on this watch, its understandable if he opens the back up that the warranty is void, why do CW want more money to rectify the problem? why can't it just be returned for a replacement?
Steinhart Ocean 39 vintage red/blue ceramic,Olko edition
C65 Super comp
C60 Trident Pro
C60 Blue LE
Omega Seamaster 300m
Longines Admiral Chronograph
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by exHowfener »

2 threads now on this watch, its understandable if he opens the back up that the warranty is void, why do CW want more money to rectify the problem? why can't it just be returned for a replacement?
If the watch is within the stated specification, what are the grounds for "returning for a replacement"?

And, (I'm genuinely curious), how would CW know that the back has been opened? Obviously only do this if you are keeping the watch!
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
undetterred
Senior
Senior

Post by undetterred »

exHowfener wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:19 pm
If the watch is within the stated specification, what are the grounds for "returning for a replacement"?

And, (I'm genuinely curious), how would CW know that the back has been opened? Obviously only do this if you are keeping the watch!
True...
Steinhart Ocean 39 vintage red/blue ceramic,Olko edition
C65 Super comp
C60 Trident Pro
C60 Blue LE
Omega Seamaster 300m
Longines Admiral Chronograph
JasperCat
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JasperCat »

undetterred wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:09 pm why can't it just be returned for a replacement?
I think this is likely a sale watch as it's the same model (the C65 Super Compressor black sand variant) that a fair number of us picked up in January at sale price. If that is the case then it's possible they don't have any to replace it with :problem:
C5 - FLE
C60 - Concept
C9 - 5 Day Small Seconds
Breitling - SuperOcean
Rolex - Air King
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

undetterred wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:09 pm 2 threads now on this watch, its understandable if he opens the back up that the warranty is void, why do CW want more money to rectify the problem? why can't it just be returned for a replacement?
if it IS running to specified tolerance then it can't really be returned as "not merchantable quality". If it has been worn, it can't be returned under 60/60. It's not new. Maybe they could class it as Nearly New. But a replacement may show similar timekeeping anyway. So I imagine that's why they wouldn't offer a swap.
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by Thermexman »

Wiggles wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:33 am I just took delivery of one of the nicest watches I have ever seen, let alone owned. The CW super compressor, but I have an issue. The watch is running +18spd, which I know is within tolerance, but for me is unacceptable. I find it incredible Steinhart can use an elabore rated SW200 and sell their watches for considerably less than CW. CW have told me they won't touch it unless I part with more cash, which I consider dreadful customer service, and they have told me that if I regulate it myself (which I can do very easily) the warranty will be voided. I know I can return the watch, but ad I love the design, I just don't want to. I know some people will say "just live with it" but when you own a range of inexpensive watches that run close to 0spd, it makes it hard to live with. So what would you do ?
To address your original question, here’s what I’d do, based on the following points:

1) I really like the watch and, possibly bought it for 50% off?
2) It’s sold out, so I can’t replace it.
3) It’s within the manufacturer’s stated tolerance for timekeeping so CW don’t see it as a problem. (Tough, I’ve got to suck it up)
4) I’m not happy to pay CW to have it regulated and know my warranty is lost if I get it done elsewhere or do it myself?

Therefore, I’d keep it and live with the accuracy, knowing that if it gets worse, I can get it regulated under warranty.

Then again:

5) I really can’t accept a lower level of accuracy than I get from my cheaper Chinese watches.

Therefore, I’d send it back, get my money back and move on.

Personally though, I’d be fine with it, as I rotate my watches daily!
Steve.
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by FloridaPhil »

Seems to me that you can:

1. Accept the watch as-is since it is (barely) within tolerance
2. Pay CW to regulate it, and retain the warranty
3. Regulate it yourself or have someone do it and potentially lose the warranty, although how CW would know that has been done I don't know.
WatchChat on Facebook
The friendliest watch group on Facebook chatting about our watch passion and whatever else happens to come up.
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

jkbarnes wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:44 pm Sorry, but I think we’re being trolled.
IAJ seems to think so too...

We do have a ‘resident’ troll who has been found out using several guises in the past
Lawrence
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 20

Post by Lawrence »

WHAT WOULD YOU DO ?

I'd not moan publicly and make my own decision.
Omega Speedmaster, Bulova Accutron Gemini, Tudor Black Bay Heritage Maroon & Black, C65 Trident Bronze SH21 LE, C65 Trident Black, C65 Trident Diver SH21, C65 Trident Ombre LE, Longines HydroConquest beautiful AF and better than C60 300
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

Lawrence wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:50 pm
I'd not moan publicly and make my own decision.
^ THIS ! Or whinge elsewhere under the guise of a review
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy