Sellita SW200

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Re: Sellita SW200

Post by JAFO »

I have never noticed any issue with spinning rotors. I know you can get them spinning, but I've never felt the issue to warrant a mention at all. I don't mean it doesn't happen, I mean that even if the rotor is spinning, it's never affected my wearing of a watch.
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by Thermexman »

JAFO wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:12 pm I have never noticed any issue with spinning rotors. I know you can get them spinning, but I've never felt the issue to warrant a mention at all. I don't mean it doesn't happen, I mean that even if the rotor is spinning, it's never affected my wearing of a watch.
The spinning rotor issue is a reference to the fact that when you try to hand wind the movement to get it going, the rotor is being turned as you wind. It adds weight or stiffness to the feel of the crown and puts strain on the ratchet wheel. If you persist to wind as it stiffens up, you’ll do some damage as I found out with one of mine. The fault can also come and go as I’ve had another two watches exhibit it briefly and then it went away.

I’ve also had two watches experience it and require repair. One was definitely a Selita SW200 but the other could have been either Selita or ETA as CW wouldn’t say.
Steve.
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

To be clear, this spinning rotor issue only arises with hand winding the SW 200 movement? It is not a problem with motion winding the automatic? I’ve not had the problem, just looking to understand the parameters of the issue.
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

thomcat00 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:04 am To be clear, this spinning rotor issue only arises with hand winding the SW 200 movement? It is not a problem with motion winding the automatic? I’ve not had the problem, just looking to understand the parameters of the issue.
That's usually the case. It's to do with something called reverser wheels (or gears) but at that point my eyes glaze over. I'm sure someone can explain.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thermexman »

^^^A Layman's view from Googling the issue, when it happened to me.
As Steve says, it's to do with the lubrication of the Reverser wheels. These are part of the winding mechanism that allows you to hand wind your auto, to get it going.

As they become stiffer, they cause the rotor to be turned, as you wind. This explains the stiff winding and the feeling that the Rotor is actual spinning as you wind.

If you force the Crown whilst winding, as it stiffens, it'll actually break the teeth on the Ratchet wheel. (as I found out). You can no longer hand wind at this point as the crown feels disconnected.

With the stiff winder, spinning Rotor or broken teeth on the Ratchet wheel, the watch will still work, if you charge it via movement on the wrist. In other words, the issue doesn't stop the watch from working. However, I wouldn't want those broken teeth doing other damage as they bounce about inside.

If you've only got a stiff Crown and spinning Rotor whilst hand winding the watch, the watch will happily work if you get it going with a few gentle shakes. The couple of watches of mine, that saw this issue come and go, were watches that hadn't been worn much. I resisted the hand wind option and used them more. The increased use has obviously removed that stiffness and freed up the reverser wheels. Both watches can be hand wound now!
As I said, this a Layman's interpretation.
Steve.
Toph
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 6

Post by Toph »

Owned over 100 autos from a vast array of price ranges. I have owned 12 CW autos and currently have 7 autos ( one hand wind) Majority being SW200 or SW330. I have never had the spinning rotor issue, ever, period.
Where no counsel is the people fall but in a multitude of counsellors there is safety
Instagram @tophstewart
mcb2007
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 1

Post by mcb2007 »

Thermexman wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:28 am ^^^A Layman's view from Googling the issue, when it happened to me.
As Steve says, it's to do with the lubrication of the Reverser wheels. These are part of the winding mechanism that allows you to hand wind your auto, to get it going.

As they become stiffer, they cause the rotor to be turned, as you wind. This explains the stiff winding and the feeling that the Rotor is actual spinning as you wind.

If you force the Crown whilst winding, as it stiffens, it'll actually break the teeth on the Ratchet wheel. (as I found out). You can no longer hand wind at this point as the crown feels disconnected.

With the stiff winder, spinning Rotor or broken teeth on the Ratchet wheel, the watch will still work, if you charge it via movement on the wrist. In other words, the issue doesn't stop the watch from working. However, I wouldn't want those broken teeth doing other damage as they bounce about inside.

If you've only got a stiff Crown and spinning Rotor whilst hand winding the watch, the watch will happily work if you get it going with a few gentle shakes. The couple of watches of mine, that saw this issue come and go, were watches that hadn't been worn much. I resisted the hand wind option and used them more. The increased use has obviously removed that stiffness and freed up the reverser wheels. Both watches can be hand wound now!
As I said, this a Layman's interpretation.
If CW are aware of this problem when they get a return with the rotor problem why don't they just lubricate it properly ? Be easier than keep sending faulty watches back to be returned over and over , to send me an alleged new replacement to replace the faulty one with the same problem is just ludicrous .
Would you just keep this one and see if it corrects itself with use ?
I am nameless I am shameless, I can be the purist soul with evil as my goal, I can be the story untold.
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thermexman »

mcb2007 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:44 pm
Would you just keep this one and see if it corrects itself with use ?
No, not if it was as new as yours. The two watches I had the issue with were second hand. One was from 2014 & the other from 2017. If the problem had persisted or if it returns, I'll have them serviced. As it is, I just give them enough gentle winds to start them ticking.
Steve.
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by magicman »

My C9 had a serious spinning rotor. Set off by a half turn of the crown.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/UVLjFbpySK7rzSJJ6

I've not had any problems before or since.

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by timor54 »

I’m feeling rather disillusioned with CW at the moment.

Last week I ordered a NN Super Compressor and the fulfilment of the order was excellent, it arrived in less than 24 hours from ordering.

However, the quality of the watch, or more specifically the movement, was less impressive. It arrived midday running with the time set correctly so I stuck it on my wrist. Six hours later it stopped. Now I was only pottering around the house but I was active enough to at least maintain its state of wind.

I gave it a couple of winds then a shake to get it going but nothing happened. I gave it a few more turns and a more vigorous shaking and it eventually started up. At this point I decided to have a closer look inside the exhibition caseback and this it what I found.

One of the two screws that fastens the auto winding mechanism to the base movement had completely come out and was wandering around inside the case! I turned the watch over to check if it was running, which it was for a minute or so before stopping again. This time the screw had wedged itself in the escapement, which I suspect was the reason it stopped in the first place :?

Now these particular screws are meant to be torqued quite tight so they really shouldn’t work loose. I do wonder if this might have contributed to the watch being previously returned and subsequently re-sold as NN to me? It must have been working loose for some time and the simplest of visual inspections should have spotted something amiss.

Anyway, this screw has been on quite a journey inside the movement and now it’s on a even longer one back to Maidenhead.
Tim