Jury still out on C65 AM GT - Decision to Keep

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Re: Jury still out on C65 AM GT

Post by jkbarnes »

Leon O wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:31 am Andrew, I've worn mine for only a day, but so far I like it. Let us know what you think of the Barton Horween once you've worn it for a while.
And let us know what you think of the AM GT once you’ve worn it awhile.
Drew
Leon O
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 9

Post by Leon O »

20210124_145609.jpg
20210124_145908.jpg
I'm still on the fence today. I'm trying to figure out how much wrist time it would get, and if it would be a significant step in adding higher quality watches to my collection since it currently contains mostly affordable, novelty, and souvenir watches.
C7 Rapide Quartz, C60 Pro 300 Chronograph Quartz, C3 Malvern Chronograph, C7 Rapide Chronograph Quartz, C65 AM GT LE, C7 Rapide Chrongraph LE, C65 Trident Diver HW, C5 Malvern 595, C65 Trident GMT Pepsi
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Leon O wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:43 pm I'm still on the fence today. I'm trying to figure out how much wrist time it would get, and if it would be a significant step in adding higher quality watches to my collection since it currently contains mostly affordable, novelty, and souvenir watches.
I think you have your answer if you’re still on the fence and wondering those things. That’s not meant to be snarky or anything, but just an honest assessment. You either really like it and know you will want to wear it, otherwise your rationalizing why to keep it.
Drew
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

jkbarnes wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:48 pm
Leon O wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:43 pm I'm still on the fence today. I'm trying to figure out how much wrist time it would get, and if it would be a significant step in adding higher quality watches to my collection since it currently contains mostly affordable, novelty, and souvenir watches.
I think you have your answer if you’re still on the fence and wondering those things. That’s not meant to be snarky or anything, but just an honest assessment. You either really like it and know you will want to wear it, otherwise your rationalizing why to keep it.
I agree, JKB, was actually thinking the same myself. Given this is a fresh thread it might be worth a couple more days but ultimately whenever someone spends time trying to like it, then back it goes!
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Leon O wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:06 am I picked it up a NN during the sale. So...I have some time to think about keeping it. The C65 AM GT is special in its own way, but I'll have to wear it under the cuff for a few days to see if it speaks to me. Until I decide the bracelet will remain in the CW box. . . . ..
I'm surprised that no-one has reminded you of CW's T&Cs for returning a watch under the 60/60.

May I refresh your memory;-

"If you aren’t happy with your watch for any reason, provided it is still in perfect condition and accompanied by all the original packaging and documentation, you can return it to us free of charge for up to 60 days from the date of despatch for a full refund or exchange.

Please use our return form by clicking here to start the process.

In the event this is not the case we will only offer a partial refund, the amount of which will be decided by the condition of the watch and whether there is any missing documentation."

Good luck with your decision making but, if you decide its not for you, the Forum Sales Corner may be a good option for you.

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Leon O
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Leon O »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:12 pm

I'm surprised that no-one has reminded you of CW's T&Cs for returning a watch under the 60/60.

May I refresh your memory;-

"If you aren’t happy with your watch for any reason, provided it is still in perfect condition and accompanied by all the original packaging and documentation, you can return it to us free of charge for up to 60 days from the date of despatch for a full refund or exchange.

In the event this is not the case we will only offer a partial refund, the amount of which will be decided by the condition of the watch and whether there is any missing documentation."

Good luck with your decision making but, if you decide its not for you, the Forum Sales Corner may be a good option for you.

Guy
Thank you very much for the reminder Guy :thumbup: -- I certainly would not want to receive a partial refund.

I have been wearing my G-Shock or other watches for most of the hours of the day. I have worn this one for only a few times - always under the sleeve unless I am sitting. This is my approach to seeing if I am happy with a watch. My ethics would require that I keep a watch if I scratch or ding it. I will check it with a loupe if I decide to return it.

Back to the C65 AM GT: I do find it to have an interesting dial and an outstanding case, but I do have a few minor concerns:

- the lume is underwhelming - I guess I have been spoiled my Citizens & Seikos,
- I find the dial hard to read at a glance.
- I find the AM GT to difficult to set because I cannot feel the different positions of the crown.

On the other hand, I do not have and HAQ watch in my collection.

Leon
C7 Rapide Quartz, C60 Pro 300 Chronograph Quartz, C3 Malvern Chronograph, C7 Rapide Chronograph Quartz, C65 AM GT LE, C7 Rapide Chrongraph LE, C65 Trident Diver HW, C5 Malvern 595, C65 Trident GMT Pepsi
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Leon O wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:17 pm Back to the C65 AM GT: I do find it to have an interesting dial and an outstanding case, but I do have a few minor concerns:

- the lume is underwhelming - I guess I have been spoiled my Citizens & Seikos,
- I find the dial hard to read at a glance.
- I find the AM GT to difficult to set because I cannot feel the different positions of the crown.

On the other hand, I do not have and HAQ watch in my collection.
Sounds then like the C65 AM GT LE may not be the HAQ for you. For me, those concerns you list would trump the desire for a HAQ, especially when there are other HAQ chronos out there.
Drew
Leon O
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Leon O »

Next week is a busy one for me, so I'm going to leave it in the watch box until next weekend. I'll see how I feel then.

Leon
alanrolfe01
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 25

Post by alanrolfe01 »

I LOVE my C65 AM GT LE it's probably been my most worn watch since I got it. It looks twice the watch on the bracelet compared to the selection of straps I've matched it with. Pricewise even before the sale it's a bargain for the quality and specification.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

alanrolfe01 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:26 pm Pricewise even before the sale it's a bargain for the quality and specification.
Very true. At the sale price it was an absolute steal!
Drew
Leon O
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Leon O »

After come consideration today, I couldn't think of a recognized quartz model other than the Hamilton khaki, that is as interesting to me as the AM GT.

I really like the blue prototype C7 Rapide that's on the clearance page today, but it's almost twice the price. If I had the funds, I would pick up that C7 in a heartbeat.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Leon O wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:52 am After come consideration today, I couldn't think of a recognized quartz model other than the Hamilton khaki, that is as interesting to me as the AM GT.

I really like the blue prototype C7 Rapide that's on the clearance page today, but it's almost twice the price. If I had the funds, I would pick up that C7 in a heartbeat.
Twice the price for the same movement! Even at the original price, the C65 AM GT LEs were a fantastic deal.

I really loved the cases for that generation of C7s. Just couldn’t get on with the dials though.
Drew
Leon O
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Leon O »

jkbarnes wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:56 am
Leon O wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:52 am I really like the blue prototype C7 Rapide that's on the clearance page today, but it's almost twice the price. If I had the funds, I would pick up that C7 in a heartbeat.
Twice the price for the same movement! Even at the original price, the C65 AM GT LEs were a fantastic deal.

I really loved the cases for that generation of C7s. Just couldn’t get on with the dials though.
I really like the dials, my 3 hand quartz Rapide has gotten more wrist time than any of my other watches.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Leon O wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:43 am The leather is probably the level as CW vintage oak. The buckle solid, but not as thick as the CW buckles.
The buckle is definitely the weak link with this strap. I’ve got a deployant clasp coming that will hopefully work well with the strap.

Thanks for turning me on to this strap!
Drew
JasperCat
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by JasperCat »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:05 am
I think that's one of the signs of a good, well-designed chronograph.

When you want to see the time (which is most of the time, let's face it!) you can see it at a glance and the other features recede to the background (in your mind at least). But when you are using the chronograph its features seem to step forward and, again, you can read them easily.
Couldn't agree more and here's a another classic example of a watch (Seiko RAF Gen 1) designed to be used in a fast moving environment (by RAF aircrew) that combines time and chronograph in an easily readable but detailed watch face... I can attest personally that these were very easy to use :thumbup:

Seiko_RAF_Gen1.jpg
C1 - Bel Canto, Grand Malvern 5 Day
C5 - FLE
C60 - Concept
C65 - Cranwell, Super Compressor
C9 - 5 Day Small Seconds
Omega - Aqua Terra, SMP Nekton
Breitling - SuperOcean
Rolex - Air King