Discuss Christopher Ward watches
JasperCat
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 10

Re: That super compressor

Post by JasperCat »

My view on the black sand super compressor that's been on sale:

The colour combination (particularly with the white bezel) is unusual, but when you see it for real and wear it, you realise just how striking and playful it actually is. This is a watch that will not be for every occasion, but will work perfectly for fun summer days, holidays and the beach.

The deep blue colour combination does indeed seem to be a much more elegant and (arguably) desirable watch, but I'm now thinking in terms of owning two super compressors not just one for a collection. They both have their place and can be worn for different occasions. Not every watch has to be elegant, they can be be just fun too.

Admittedly, had it not been on sale (with such a significant discount) I probably wouldn't have bought it, and likely waited to get the deep blue as my first SC. However at this sale price (£600 on a bracelet), I can still get the deep blue on a strap for £895 and then have two complementary super compressors for the grand total of £1500, with bracelet/straps interchangeable between them :thumbup:

The non centred text is a complete non issue for me, as the text colour and size contrive to make it impossible in normal use to even see it, let alone see it's misaligned.

Despite its playful appearance, this is no toy watch. It's superbly well built, feels rock solid and I would confidentially take this swimming in the pool and ocean, without any concerns. My Apple Watch has a rating of 50m, but I swam happily with that on my last holiday, with no issues at all. Yes, some would prefer a higher depth rating, but my understanding is that the super compressor was originally designed to protect the gaskets inside the watch (due to manufacturing processes at the time), not necessarily to impart and more massive dive capability.

Despite the sale, these things are still going to be quite rare and very much a watch that will cause a lot of people to do a "double take", again because that white bezel is so unusual. I don't wear watches for other people, but if it starts a conversation about it and maybe directs someone towards the brand, that's no bad thing.

I love mine and am looking forward to taking this on holiday with me later this year... fingers crossed of course :?
C60 Elite GMT 1000, C65 SH21 LE, C65 Cranwell, C8 Power Reserve, C65 Super Compressor,
C65 Blue Bronze Prototype, C65 Black Gold LE, C65 316L LE, C60 Trident Pro 600 MkII, C5 MMXV FLE

Incoming: No more for now, I have enough!
Tortoise
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 6

Post by Tortoise »

JasperCat wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:36 pm
One thing that photos don't seem to show effectively is just how much the raised indices catch the light and sparkle as the watch moves around... really stunning :thumbup:
Good point!
I had a go at trying to capture it - bit of a ham-fisted, lo-res attempt I'm afraid, but you get a sense of it...
IMG_1260r2.gif
cheers
Ian
JasperCat
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by JasperCat »

Tortoise wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:05 pm
JasperCat wrote:
One thing that photos don't seem to show effectively is just how much the raised indices catch the light and sparkle as the watch moves around... really stunning :thumbup:
Good point!
I had a go at trying to capture it - bit of a ham-fisted, lo-res attempt I'm afraid, but you get a sense of it...

cheers
That's the effect I was talking about, thanks for doing that. I love how it sparkles... shiny, shiny, my super compressor precious :lol:

The deep blue is a stunning colour combination, but as stated in my post above, the white bezel variants still have a place too. The super compressors are all great watches :thumbup:
C60 Elite GMT 1000, C65 SH21 LE, C65 Cranwell, C8 Power Reserve, C65 Super Compressor,
C65 Blue Bronze Prototype, C65 Black Gold LE, C65 316L LE, C60 Trident Pro 600 MkII, C5 MMXV FLE

gannet
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 4

Post by gannet »

JasperCat wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:16 pm
Tortoise wrote:
JasperCat wrote:
Good point!

cheers
That's the effect I was talking about, thanks for doing that. I love how it sparkles... shiny, shiny, my super compressor precious :lol:

The deep blue is a stunning colour combination, but as stated in my post above, the white bezel variants still have a place too. The super compressors are all great watches :thumbup:
whilst I can appreciate the beauty of that twinkling...

mrs gannet would not like me - her eyes are constantly picking up things like this to point where if I'm sitting next to her I have to wear my watch (some more than others) on the inside of my wrist... My Fossil Blue is especially bad for this as the crystal acts a little like a prism...
-- gannet.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by jkbarnes »

JasperCat wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:01 pm

The colour combination (particularly with the white bezel) is unusual, but when you see it for real and wear it, you realise just how striking and playful it actually is. This is a watch that will not be for every occasion, but will work perfectly for fun summer days, holidays and the beach.

The deep blue colour combination does indeed seem to be a much more elegant and (arguably) desirable watch, but I'm now thinking in terms of owning two super compressors not just one for a collection. They both have their place and can be worn for different occasions. Not every watch has to be elegant, they can be be just fun too.

Admittedly, had it not been on sale (with such a significant discount) I probably wouldn't have bought it, and likely waited to get the deep blue as my first SC. However at this sale price (£600 on a bracelet), I can still get the deep blue on a strap for £895 and then have two complementary super compressors for the grand total of £1500, with bracelet/straps interchangeable between them :thumbup:

The non centred text is a complete non issue for me, as the text colour and size contrive to make it impossible in normal use to even see it, let alone see it's misaligned.

Despite its playful appearance, this is no toy watch. It's superbly well built, feels rock solid and I would confidentially take this swimming in the pool and ocean, without any concerns. My Apple Watch has a rating of 50m, but I swam happily with that on my last holiday, with no issues at all. Yes, some would prefer a higher depth rating, but my understanding is that the super compressor was originally designed to protect the gaskets inside the watch (due to manufacturing processes at the time), not necessarily to impart and more massive dive capability.

Despite the sale, these things are still going to be quite rare and very much a watch that will cause a lot of people to do a "double take", again because that white bezel is so unusual. I don't wear watches for other people, but if it starts a conversation about it and maybe directs someone towards the brand, that's no bad thing.

I love mine and am looking forward to taking this on holiday with me later this year... fingers crossed of course :?
You should expand this into a full review!
Andrew
“I can't stand it to think my life is going so fast and I'm not really living it.”

C65 Trident Vintage
C65 AM GT LE

Wishlist:
C65 Trident GMT Worldtimer
C9 5 Day SS
C61 Trident

Find me on Instagram @jkbarnes
Or follow my photography on Instagram @jkbarnesphotos
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by jkbarnes »

Tortoise wrote:
JasperCat wrote:
Good point!

IMG_1260r2.gif
cheers
That’s fantastic, and makes the watch look even more stunning!
Andrew
“I can't stand it to think my life is going so fast and I'm not really living it.”

C65 Trident Vintage
C65 AM GT LE

Wishlist:
C65 Trident GMT Worldtimer
C9 5 Day SS
C61 Trident

Find me on Instagram @jkbarnes
Or follow my photography on Instagram @jkbarnesphotos
JasperCat
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by JasperCat »

jkbarnes wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:14 pm

Once I’ve had them long enough, I may review all of mine, starting with this one 👍

Davy Crockett
Senior
Senior

Post by Davy Crockett »

jkbarnes wrote:
JasperCat wrote:

Really enjoyed reading your thoughts and findings, nice to read a 'real' opinion from an owner.

The voices became too much and to quote Star Trek's The Borg..... Resistance is futile.... Super Compressor is en route :shock:

It may be you that beat me to the bracelet on the sale!!
sjbroadhead
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 3

That super compressor

Post by sjbroadhead »

Davy Crockett wrote:
jkbarnes wrote:
JasperCat wrote:

ImageImageApologies Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JasperCat
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by JasperCat »

Davy Crockett wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:42 pm

Really enjoyed reading your thoughts and findings, nice to read a 'real' opinion from an owner.

The voices became too much and to quote Star Trek's The Borg..... Resistance is futile.... Super Compressor is en route :shock:

Thanks, I really do love this watch and the brown dial with white bezel is a dazzling combination :thumbup:

Hopefully you’ll love it, welcome to the club :clap:

There were still a good number on the bracelet still after I bought mine, so wasn’t me...

Robotaz
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 3

Post by Robotaz »

I kinda like the logo at 9. It’s different.
Lochinvar

Post by Lochinvar »

There has been much excitement since the launch of the Super Compressor which is a welcome departure from the DNA design all too familiar in the oeuvre of CW. I like this watch and I have one, and like some other high end watch brands other notable watch ateliers have taken their clues in designing their more modestly priced watches and CW is no exception. It has not escaped my attention whether unashamedly or not that the CW Super Compressor has a striking verisimilitude to the Longines Heritage Legend Diver in particular the dial design. True, many watches out there look similar to each other but for CW this is putatively a departure from their normal offerings but I guess there must be a limit to the different permutations in designing dials and cases to fit within a price module.
Nonetheless, the Super Compressor is a striking watch which appears to have many ardent admirers.
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

You too can be the proud owner of a "heritage" rare dial SC, roll up, roll up:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Christopher- ... SwqPhgCFrl

The sheer gall of some trying to turn a quick buck. :?
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 27
LE-two: 1
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1
LESeven: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

H0rati0 wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:36 pm
You too can be the proud owner of a "heritage" rare dial SC, roll up, roll up:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Christopher- ... SwqPhgCFrl

The sheer gall of some trying to turn a quick buck. :?
. . . .and SOLD for £775. :shock: :shock:

Guy
C1 GBT| C4&W7 BBMF| C5 BOB LE| C5 FLE| C7 MkI 47AD| C7 MkII Harrier| C8 MkI| C8 Reg LE| C8 M2.04 LE| C8 AD
C9 FLE| C9 Me109 SPC LE| C11 Mak Navy| C20 FLE| C40 x2| C60 K'fisher| C60 FLEx2
C60 Bronze-316L| C60 Apex-Elite P'type-AbyssSH21| C65 GMT| C1000
Time Turner

Post by Time Turner »