SH21 Serial Number and COSC mismatch

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
JasperCat
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 10

SH21 Serial Number and COSC mismatch

Post by JasperCat »

I've just taken delivery of a C8 Power Reserve from the sale, which I love already and am wearing it daily :D

However, I've just had a look closely at the SH21 movement under a loupe and noticed that the SH21 serial number doesn't match the movement number on the COSC certificate :?

Actual SH21 serial number: 0005361 (this was engraved to the right of "SH21" on the movement)
COSC Certificate movement number: 0005497 (dated 19 Nov 2017)

Is this something I should take up with Christopher Ward customer support, to see if they've got the correct COSC certificate or can issue a duplicate ? Or indeed, does anyone else out there who's been in receipt of an SH21 COSC certificate, have the wrong (possibly my) one :problem:

I'm aware that in the grand scheme of things, the certificate means very little, and without the exhibition casebook, I'd likely never even have known, but I guess it would be good to have the right one if possible :thumbup:

Thanks
Gary
C60 Elite GMT 1000, C65 SH21 LE, C65 Cranwell, C8 Power Reserve, C65 Super Compressor,
C65 Blue Bronze Prototype, C65 Black Gold LE, C65 316L LE, C60 Trident Pro 600 MkII, C5 MMXV FLE

Incoming: No more for now, I have enough!
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12

Re: SH21 Serial Number and COSC mismatch

Post by nbg »

Yes it is something that you need to take up with CW.

You have bought a watch with a COSC certificate, that was priced accordingly.

When CW put a watch in the sale without its certificate the sale price is less than those with the certificate.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
JasperCat
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by JasperCat »

nbg wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:31 pm
Yes it is something that you need to take up with CW.

You have bought a watch with a COSC certificate, that was priced accordingly.

When CW put a watch in the sale without its certificate the sale price is less than those with the certificate.

Neil
Ok, that's what I thought would likely be the best course of action, I'll email them :thumbup:

Even though it was a 50% off watch, as you say it was advertised with the COSC certificate.

In the meantime, if anyone has has the wrong COSC certificate for their movement, check the numbers above and we may have each others... the one on this COSC certificate is a good performer by all accounts... or at least it was in Dec 2017, when uncased, in a lab under experimental conditions :lol:

Thanks
Gary
C60 Elite GMT 1000, C65 SH21 LE, C65 Cranwell, C8 Power Reserve, C65 Super Compressor,
C65 Blue Bronze Prototype, C65 Black Gold LE, C65 316L LE, C60 Trident Pro 600 MkII, C5 MMXV FLE

JasperCat
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by JasperCat »

I've emailed customer support, requesting the COSC certificate or duplicate (which I believe they can obtain), so we'll what happens.

In the meantime, the watch is currently running about -5 secs p/d, over the last 48 hours. I'm aware that they can take a good while to settle in, so drawing no conclusions right now and this watch/movement has probably sat in a box for a years too. I've rewound back to full power (lovely winding action) and wearing it normally, so see how it gets on.

Incidentally, my C65 Cranwell took a good few weeks wearing it until it settled (some days minus and some days plus), but eventually settled down to +2.5 secs p/d, which is almost exactly as per it's mean daily rate from the COSC certificate (although it was only actually tested a few months earlier too) :thumbup:

what-time-is-it
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by what-time-is-it »

I would be amazed if they can supply a duplicate - gut feeling will be return if you aren't happy.
I've had a watch with incorrect cosc certificate in the past, they showed no interest in resolving the matter.
Current collection incl Alpina, Breitling, Bulova, Citizen, Eterna, Hamilton, Oris, Rado, Raymond Weil, Rolex, Seiko, Tag, Tudor & Victorinox.

Chris
JasperCat
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by JasperCat »

what-time-is-it wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:58 pm
I would be amazed if they can supply a duplicate - gut feeling will be return if you aren't happy.
I've had a watch with incorrect cosc certificate in the past, they showed no interest in resolving the matter.
Given that it's a sale item and likely end of line for the C8 PR, plus I do really love the watch... I'd be reluctant to return the watch, unless they could replace it for another.

The COSC website states that they can issue one duplicate on request though, so who knows.

I'll await their response and see what we can do... shame they couldn't resolved your same issue though :?

Screenshot 2021-01-15 at 13.34.15.png

Renton
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 30

Post by Renton »

It the watch is within COSC limits I wouldn't be bothered at all.
what-time-is-it
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by what-time-is-it »

Costs for replacements are I would imagine prohibitive and they probably take some time to order in. I'm sure that's the reason why historically some watches are sold off without cosc papers, either due to poor admin, customers not returning the document when returned or both.

At the end of the day the tests are a snapshot of how the movement performed on the day of the test, before it was even fitted to a watch case.

Not having a go at CW, just being realistic about what they are probably going to say.
Current collection incl Alpina, Breitling, Bulova, Citizen, Eterna, Hamilton, Oris, Rado, Raymond Weil, Rolex, Seiko, Tag, Tudor & Victorinox.

Chris
JasperCat
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by JasperCat »

Renton wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:33 pm
It the watch is within COSC limits I wouldn't be bothered at all.
Totally agree. I fully expect this will settle in within limits and besides it will likely get reset every few days when I hand wind it anyway. If it runs a bit slow, I'll set it a bit fast and vice versa... I don't have any life events that need that accurate timing now anymore :lol:

It's more a concern that they acknowledge the watch has been COSC certified, so if it needs regulation or serving then they'll do that within the specs :thumbup:

This watch is staying, I've admired it for so long and just love its feel, quality and looks :D

JasperCat
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by JasperCat »

what-time-is-it wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:01 pm
Costs for replacements are I would imagine prohibitive and they probably take some time to order in. I'm sure that's the reason why historically some watches are sold off without cosc papers, either due to poor admin, customers not returning the document when returned or both.

At the end of the day the tests are a snapshot of how the movement performed on the day of the test, before it was even fitted to a watch case.

Not having a go at CW, just being realistic about what they are probably going to say.
That's very likely going to be the response, but as said above, I at least want them to acknowledge the issue and note on the service records accordingly should regulation or servicing be required. I'm sure they will do, as it's SH21 (which are all COSC) and CW seem to have generally very good customer support :thumbup:

Equally, someone out there will be missing the COSC certificate that I have for their movement, so perhaps that can be returned to CW to send on at least :D

Besides, if it wasn't for the exhibition caseback, I'd never have known anyway and likely others too :lol:

JAFO
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by JAFO »

JasperCat wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:07 pm
I've just taken delivery of a C8 Power Reserve from the sale, which I love already and am wearing it daily :D

Actual SH21 serial number: 0005361 (this was engraved to the right of "SH21" on the movement)
That's quite old for a new watch, isn't it.
I bought a cosc in the sale, and the cosc cert was dated May 20.
JasperCat
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by JasperCat »

JAFO wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:31 pm
JasperCat wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:07 pm

That's quite old for a new watch, isn't it.
I bought a cosc in the sale, and the cosc cert was dated May 20.
Well, the certificate is old... of course I have no idea how old the watch or movement are, as it's not the same movement. However, the numbers are quite close, so I'm guessing these C8PRs have been sitting around for a while... possibly since 2017 :?

Hopefully they're not returns, from previous full price sales that they're finally shifting in this sale. Surely they would have been marked as "Nearly New" in that case :problem:

What model did you buy ?

JasperCat
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by JasperCat »

Ok, CW customer support have replied quickly and will get their Switzerland team to try and locate the COSC certificate... failing that they are offering a small discount on the purchased price. I'll await the outcome of their search and take it from there :thumbup:

JAFO
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by JAFO »

I got a red Rosso Corsa, although I can't see the movement number without taking the back off.
JasperCat
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by JasperCat »

JAFO wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:17 pm
I got a red Rosso Corsa, although I can't see the movement number without taking the back off.
Oh, that's a lovely watch... nice one :thumbup:

I'm sure it will be fine and this doesn't happen too often. Most likely when sales are on, old(er) models are being sold through and when very busy.

CW customer support have messaged me back again and are trying to locate the certificate or possibly even a replacement unit (less likely I would think, giving these are now out of stock). I'll await their reply and in the meantime, continue to enjoy the watch :D