Simplified CAD models of watches to determine best size?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Tom.LL

Simplified CAD models of watches to determine best size?

Post by Tom.LL »

Hi everybody, I am new to watches and still looking for my first mechanical watch.

I have the problem that trying on watches in general means some effort to me since I live on the country side in Southern Germany. Plus, I don't really like our German cities. I try to avoid them. But Christopher Ward watches can't be tested anywhere anyway :)

The C60 Trident Pro 600 is on my list. I really like it. But I have the same problem so many of us have. It comes in 38mm and 40 mm but which is the better size? I could order both and send one back but I always disliked this method since I prefer my things to arrive 100% new and it causes unnecessary costs.

Today something came to my mind. More and more people own 3D printers or have access to 3D printers nowadays. Even the cheaper ones probably offer an accuracy of a few 0.1 mm. So wouldn't it be helpful to offer simplified CAD models (STEP files) of the watches so customers who have access to 3D printers can print them as true to scale models to check the size in advance?

What do you think, would it be helpful or just a stupid idea?
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Re: Simplified CAD models of watches to determine best size?

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

Interesting idea but a ‘no’ from me.

Aside the fact that I know nobody with a 3D printer and not worth CW’s time and financial investment to deliver something with minimal uptake. I guess the other point is that a plastic replica would still not represent the true life version and how it would appear in reality.

That said, some websites allow a virtual view by adding wrist size, skin colour and watch to give a graphic view of how a model would look. That’s been useful for me in the past but, again, nothing really compares to what it’s like to wear the real thing
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

How big are your wrists around? Above 17.5cms (7inches), 40mm or more, below perhaps less, but it's all a matter of taste to some extent. Vintage mens watches are often only 35mm or so, and many people enjoy that size. Larger watches are a relatively recent thing.
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

I suspect that you would have to create quite a lot of printed models and files. First you have to consider case size, then you have to consider lug tip - to -lug tip distance and possible even lug shape and curvature. Finally there is the bezel/no-bezel element. Physical dimensions are not the only thing that affect how a watch wears on the wrist. The presence or absence of a bezel is one of them as is the case design and finishing.

At one time I really wanted a C8 UTC in steel. It was a lovely watch but borderline for me at 44mm. I was able to try one on at the CW showroom and it looked like a monster; it was wearing me not vice versa. Then I tried on the 44mm black dlc version and although it's the same watch size wise it looks smaller on wrist. I still have the black DLC version and it's great but I could never have made the stainless steel case version work.

There's no such thing as a bad idea but I don't think a simple dimension based model would work. For me, how a watch wears is a function of the total design and that can't be captured using simple models. YMMV of course. The just think, I'd have to store the watches and the models. Try explaining that to the other-half. :D :D :D
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
monkeymax
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 3

Post by monkeymax »

I'd say dial design also governs how big and small a watch looks on the wrist. It feels like you're then a long way down the road of building replicas of a watch. :lol: The reality is that 3D printing is actually pretty hard to get right first time (speaking from experience) and also the C60 & C65 cases are part of CW identity (as they are for other companies) so I guess they may be reluctant to share the CAD designs.
Nice idea though! I look forward to a completely 3D printed watch case with bezel attached!
Squalus
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 6

Post by Squalus »

It is a good idea. It would require very little effort to convert a CAD model of a watch into a single, solid, STEP file.

Albionphoto does have a valid point, of the finish or the colour affecting your perception of size.

The only thing I would question is how the strap would be attached to it. Would the 3D printers be able to replicate the lug holes?
Tom.LL

Post by Tom.LL »

My wrist is only 160 mm and 50-52mm in width.
All the effects caused by reflected light, certain colours or combination of colours or the ratio of bezel size to dial size wouldn't be visible of course.
I would take it only as a rough guide for the size. And I wouldn't even put a strap on it. Just attach it with double sided tape to my wrist. Keeping it simple.
@Kansas
The virtual view would be a great, maybe even better solution. Using the diameter, width and thickness of one's wrist should be enough to recreate the wrist. But I haven't seen this anywhere so far? Just the very simple kind like the one on Chrono24 which only covers certain diameter spans and doesn't take the width/thickness ratio of the wrist into account.
monkeymax
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 3

Post by monkeymax »

Tom.LL wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:55 am Just attach it with double sided tape to my wrist. Keeping it simple.
:shock:
You clearly don't have as much hair on your wrists as I do! :lol:
josbrownlie
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 9

Post by josbrownlie »

Tom.LL wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:56 pm Hi everybody, I am new to watches and still looking for my first mechanical watch.

I have the problem that trying on watches in general means some effort to me since I live on the country side in Southern Germany. Plus, I don't really like our German cities. I try to avoid them. But Christopher Ward watches can't be tested anywhere anyway :)

The C60 Trident Pro 600 is on my list. I really like it. But I have the same problem so many of us have. It comes in 38mm and 40 mm but which is the better size? I could order both and send one back but I always disliked this method since I prefer my things to arrive 100% new and it causes unnecessary costs.

Today something came to my mind. More and more people own 3D printers or have access to 3D printers nowadays. Even the cheaper ones probably offer an accuracy of a few 0.1 mm. So wouldn't it be helpful to offer simplified CAD models (STEP files) of the watches so customers who have access to 3D printers can print them as true to scale models to check the size in advance?

What do you think, would it be helpful or just a stupid idea?
Hi Tom

I've got a 3d printer and could help out if needed.
C9 x5, C60 x3, C65 x1, Steinhart x2, CIGA Design, Jean Marcel, WT Author, Breitling & MSTR
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by exHowfener »

Nowhere near as sophisticated as this idea, but I suggested to Chris Ward (the man not the brand) at the Manchester GTG that they include, in Loupe at the launch of a new watch, a 'life size' image to give a better idea of what it would really look like.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
Tom.LL

Post by Tom.LL »

My brother has a 3D printer.
But it seems I just have to order the C60 Trident Bronze and hope it's not too big. ;)
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

exHowfener wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:22 pm Nowhere near as sophisticated as this idea, but I suggested to Chris Ward (the man not the brand) at the Manchester GTG that they include, in Loupe at the launch of a new watch, a 'life size' image to give a better idea of what it would really look like.
A development of this idea, which is used by a number of online watch retailers, is to make a paper cut-out of the watch in actual size.

Its relatively easy to do using an image from CW's website with the on screen size zoomed out or in, save a screenshot, then print it. With a bit of trial and error it is easy enough to get a print out in actual size.

I put this method to good use when I was considering buying a Damasko DK15 back in April 2016, as I showed in this post;-
Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:47 pm Very much leaning towards my original preference of the DK15 'Big Pilot' style. Did a Cardboard cut-out (well paper really) at lunchtime to trial a wrist shot.

Just need to get my two currently For Sale watches sold and I'll be there; probably. :thumbup:

Guy
I hope this helps.

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England