Brexit - additional duty to pay (UK to EU shipping)

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Re: Brexit - additional duty to pay (UK to EU shipping)

Post by H0rati0 »

MiniMpi wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:03 am My first big purchase from the UK following Brexit has arrived in Ireland via DHL.
Checked the tracking this morning and they appear to need more information from CW.
Fingers crossed it gets sorted out soon.
I was informed before this from CW that there is nothing payable on my side even VAT as it is taken on CWs end.
We'll see how it all turns out.
Watching you closely, Ferg. Were DHL specific on what extra documentation/info they needed from CW? It seems they asked for the original CW confirmation from other inmates, which is also not unusual from German Customs (suspicious lot that they are).

In common with others, I can't get any tracking so no idea what's going on.

nik
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Post by MiniMpi »

H0rati0 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:01 am Watching you closely, Ferg. Were DHL specific on what extra documentation/info they needed from CW? It seems they asked for the original CW confirmation from other inmates, which is also not unusual from German Customs (suspicious lot that they are).

In common with others, I can't get any tracking so no idea what's going on.

nik
Hi Nik,

I was lucky in that I got a text message to my mobile number from DHL with the tracking info.

There has been an update, the clearance processing has been completed and it has been passed onto the DHL delivery courier :)
CW were not contacted in the end as far as I know.
So all good so far.
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by MiniMpi »

Just had a notification that it has been delivered to my forwarding address company (Parcel Motel) which is in Dublin.
All going well I should have it in my local collection point tomorrow :)
No fees requested of me, customs duty or VAT/tax.
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

MiniMpi wrote:Just had a notification that it has been delivered to my forwarding address company (Parcel Motel) which is in Dublin.
Top notch result Ferg.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by MiniMpi »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:11 pm
MiniMpi wrote:Just had a notification that it has been delivered to my forwarding address company (Parcel Motel) which is in Dublin.
Top notch result Ferg.

Guy
Thanks Guy :thumbup:

It will be interesting to see how things go with my second hand CW watch purchase also due soon.
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

MiniMpi wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:08 pm Just had a notification that it has been delivered to my forwarding address company (Parcel Motel) which is in Dublin.
That's encouraging. Hopefully, I'll hear something from DHL tomorrow.

In the meanwhile, good result for yourself!
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
opettaja
CW-watches: 5

Post by opettaja »

JAFO wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:40 pm
opettaja wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:55 pm I can confirm to Finland (EU) from UK with CW I was charged (last week) on purchase (CW website) the Finnish VAT rate (24%) instead of the UK VAT, and no taxes or duties on import. Had to give DHL my details and the original order confirmation from CW for them to check though as CW had not made a customs declaration. So basically, no extras to pay when ordering to the EU, just the tax rate is your local VAT rate.
So presumably CW had to reduce the net goods amount (by about 4%) so that the net total plus the Finnish VAT came back to the amount you had paid, and DHL are sort of shepherding the process. The net goods is CW income so they lose a bit because of the higher VAT rate.
No idea, as I see the prices in full includive of VAT (the amount of VAT is not shown until AFTER the purchase. Eg. the C65 Super Compressor is showing at €1200. Whether that is the same across all the EU or not I don't know.
C3 Malvern Chrono | C5 Malvern 595 | C65 Vintage | C65 Trident handwind | C60 Elite 1000 COSC
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by MiniMpi »

I collected my parcel today from my Parcel motel forwarding address locker and I can confirm that I had to pay ZERO fees or VAT/tax of any sort :D 8)
Just for clarification, I am in the Republic of Ireland so part of the EU and this was for a C65 Trident Diver 316L LE bought in the sale.
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

MiniMpi wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:00 am I collected my parcel today from my Parcel motel forwarding address locker and I can confirm that I had to pay ZERO fees or VAT/tax of any sort :D 8)
Just for clarification, I am in the Republic of Ireland so part of the EU and this was for a C65 Trident Diver 316L LE bought in the sale.
Are you saying that the watch was shipped to you by CW VAT exclusive, or that you paid CW a VAT inclusive price and correctly had no further VAT charged upon delivery to you?

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by MiniMpi »

nbg wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:41 am Are you saying that the watch was shipped to you by CW VAT exclusive, or that you paid CW a VAT inclusive price and correctly had no further VAT charged upon delivery to you?

Neil
Option B :)

paid CW a VAT inclusive price and correctly had no further VAT charged upon delivery to you?

Hi Neil,

I paid a VAT inclusive price from CW and paid nothing extra at all on my end when delivered to me.
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by MiniMpi »

Next up is a second hand CW due to me soon so it will be interesting to see how this fairs out but I figure it should also be VAT/tax & custom duty free.
Southern Ireland seems to have deemed that if the origin of the goods are from the UK then it is free from any additional charges of any kind.
nburgess
Guru
Guru

Post by nburgess »

Saw a post on CWE FB page - about dealing with used items in the EU & UK.
Can anyone tell me definitively, if I were to purchase a used item (a watch in this case) from someone within the EU, would I have to pay some kind of import VAT having it sent to the UK ?
Neil
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Just to clarify, assume that CW sell a watch for say £600. £600 is an easy figure to use - In the UK this is £500 plus 20% VAT. CW actually keep £500 for the watch, and pay the £100 to the HMRC as VAT.

Now if the watch is bought by a non UK buyer, CW accept the same price of £600. (I am not sure how the customer actually pays, and how the currency conversion gets dealt with). I don't know whether CW include free overseas shipping or whether they charge for it. It's not that important for the discussion.

Now when CW ship it, they pay over whatever the correct VAT/Sales tax is to the receiving country. Or maybe the destination country accept the UK VAT. It's the principle more than the amount.

Say it's shipped to somewhere with 22% VAT - then CW end up getting income of £491.80 (£600x100/122) and pay over £108.20 VAT (£491.80x22%) to the receiving country. So CW lose a little bit of income, (they get £491.80 rather than £500) but CW also deal with all the paperwork, which simplifies everything. I expect they actually do this through their shipping partner, rather than directly. The tax element becomes a business cost rather the VAT.

This is similar to what ebay do, when they charge an extra amount for import VAT/Taxes in their GSP.

Alternatively, CW could reduce the charge for the watch to £500, and let the buyer deal with the import charges on arrival.

I don't know what happens in the US, in particular, because the US may not have a VAT structure, and has a very high $800 dollar tax threshold. It could be that a US buyer pays the full £600 for the watch, and then gets stung for import taxes on receipt. Maybe US buyers only have to pay £500 for the watch.

Note there is a change in the UK VAT Regime after Brexit. Personal export shoppers used to get a refund of the VAT, so they only paid £500, and the VAT rate reduced to NIL. Now they can only get a refund of the VAT by having the goods mailed to them, in which case their local version of customs now know about the personal import and can charge them in accordance with their own rules. This is currently exercising airport "duty-free" shops, as officially they can no longer do duty-free.

I am an accountant, but I don't deal directly with imports/exports, so this is based on my general understanding.

[edit. Now I don't know if part of the final Brexit deal regularised the situation between the EU and UK to avoid treating EU/UK trade in precisely the same way as the rest of the world. It's very hard to find out, as all the regulatory notices I can find date from before 31/12/20]
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

nburgess wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:09 pm Saw a post on CWE FB page - about dealing with used items in the EU & UK.
Can anyone tell me definitively, if I were to purchase a used item (a watch in this case) from someone within the EU, would I have to pay some kind of import VAT having it sent to the UK ?
Yes (unless someone can quote me legislation saying that is not the case!)

Importing a watch to the UK from the EU, is now no different than importing a watch to the UK from say Japan or USA (or any other country).

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
nburgess
Guru
Guru

Post by nburgess »

Thanks Neil.
I had (rather naively it would seem) assumed used goods were exempt from any charges.
How rubbish. :-(
Neil