Brexit - additional duty to pay (UK to EU shipping)

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Re: Brexit - additional duty to pay (UK to EU shipping)

Post by JAFO »

^^^^
Not only that - I believe the low £15.00 duty free scheme for all imports is no more. Ebay are certainly now adding their own VAT charge to all imports from China, whatever the amount. I don't know what will happen with purchases from AliExpress, say, as they will all be subject to VAT. There might be a lot of issues, as everything I have bought form China before does not show the correct sale information on the packages. It doesn't help UK buyers, but it's not before time to be honest. China are competitive enough without having the extra benefits of no VAT, and no UK postal charges.
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Post by MiniMpi »

nburgess wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:09 pm Saw a post on CWE FB page - about dealing with used items in the EU & UK.
Can anyone tell me definitively, if I were to purchase a used item (a watch in this case) from someone within the EU, would I have to pay some kind of import VAT having it sent to the UK ?
Hi Neil,

I recently sold my C65 Trident Diver Black dial to a guy in the UK and he didn't have to pay anything on his end.
Again this is just one case but it's one I know of first hand.
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

MiniMpi wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:36 pm
nburgess wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:09 pm Saw a post on CWE FB page - about dealing with used items in the EU & UK.
Can anyone tell me definitively, if I were to purchase a used item (a watch in this case) from someone within the EU, would I have to pay some kind of import VAT having it sent to the UK ?
Hi Neil,

I recently sold my C65 Trident Diver Black dial to a guy in the UK and he didn't have to pay anything on his end.
I think Neil is correct in general terms Ferg, but maybe the Republic is a special case given all the previous fuss about the border? I should like to be wrong on SH items as typically they should not carry VAT, but of course no .gov can resist gouging at its borders.

nik
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
nburgess
Guru
Guru

Post by nburgess »

Hi Ferg,

Hhhmm..this is the frustrating thing..nothing seems clear cut.
And I really don't want to be hit with £100+ charges. Urgh...Darn you Brexit :censored:
Neil
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

I think in all the discussions so far, about VAT being charged, or not charged, as regards purchases by both UK based persons from the EU and EU persons from the UK, it is important to distinguish between the correct legal position and what may or may not be happening with certain transactions at the moment.

Folk also need to distinguish between the position when buying from a VAT registered business and the VAT treatment of transactions between private individuals.

Give it a while to settle down and all will become clear.

Put it this way if a private individual located in the EU has a watch for sale at say £1,000 and another in the UK has an identical watch for sale at £1,100...

I will be buying the one from the UK seller as the cost to me, once delivered will be less.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by MiniMpi »

H0rati0 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:54 pm
MiniMpi wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:36 pm
Hi Neil,

I think Neil is correct in general terms Ferg, but maybe the Republic is a special case given all the previous fuss about the border? I should like to be wrong on SH items as typically they should not carry VAT, but of course no .gov can resist gouging at its borders.

nik
I'd agree with you Nik & Neil.
It seems to be a very muddy water though, would be nice if it was very clear cut what happens in each scenario.
JasperCat
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by JasperCat »

H0rati0 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:54 pm I think Neil is correct in general terms Ferg, but maybe the Republic is a special case given all the previous fuss about the border?
Not sure about duty, but I certainly had to fill in a customs declaration for a package I sent to Cork a few days ago, I don't recall having to do that pre Brexit!
C1 - Bel Canto, Grand Malvern 5 Day
C5 - FLE
C60 - Concept
C65 - Cranwell, Super Compressor
C9 - 5 Day Small Seconds
Omega - Aqua Terra, SMP Nekton
Breitling - SuperOcean
Rolex - Air King
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by MiniMpi »

JasperCat wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:57 pm
H0rati0 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:54 pm I think Neil is correct in general terms Ferg, but maybe the Republic is a special case given all the previous fuss about the border?
Not sure about duty, but I certainly had to fill in a customs declaration for a package I sent to Cork a few days ago, I don't recall having to do that pre Brexit!
It seems in Ireland, if something arrives that is valued under €150 Euros, there is no duty to pay but if over €150 you do pay duty.
However if country of origin is the UK then even if over €150 you don't pay duty.
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

MiniMpi wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:15 pm
JasperCat wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:57 pm
It seems in Ireland, if something arrives that is valued under €150 Euros, there is no duty to pay but if over €150 you do pay duty.
However if country of origin is the UK then even if over €150 you don't pay duty.
No duty between UK and EU and no quotas, that is clear. VAT is the disorganised (and usually largest financial) part, at least in practice so far.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

Check out this from Watchgecko, mirrors my understanding and mentions the dual VAT registrations (EORI), though I believe you only need one within the EU if you are a UK VAT registered business.

https://www.watchgecko.com/pricing-on-the-website

This is also interesting and answers some of the questions coming up for us

https://www.fkgb.co.uk/brexit-vat-on-go ... consumers/
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Interesting article on WatchPro today relating to the second hand retail market e.g. Watchfinder, Xupes, Chrono24 et al;-

Brexit deal builds barrier between British and EU’s pre-owned watch businesses

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Caller »

I live in Thailand and UK VAT @ 20% was not included in the sale price for my recent purchase.

But both VAT at the applicable rate for Thailand, duties and other fees could have been. For example, Marloe in the UK do this and for me, it's a better option. Although I believe they use Royal Mail, not sure about that.

I know the rate of VAT and duty here is a total of 12.5%, so being a simple soul, I simply added that to the cost of the watch, but that VAT/duty fee is applied to everything, so although I got free shipping, there were the couriers fees here. Where I live DHL don't deliver, so it came via Kerry, then there were Thai admin costs at customs. All in all, I paid about double what I thought. Stll a great deal for me, but I would have preferred to pay that all up front. I think there's a great advantage to knowing the final cost.
'Tis me
jrpippen
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 0

Post by jrpippen »

It’s a disaster.
If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all.
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Caller wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:07 pm I live in Thailand and UK VAT @ 20% was not included in the sale price for my recent purchase.

But both VAT at the applicable rate for Thailand, duties and other fees could have been. For example, Marloe in the UK do this and for me, it's a better option. Although I believe they use Royal Mail, not sure about that.

I know the rate of VAT and duty here is a total of 12.5%, so being a simple soul, I simply added that to the cost of the watch, but that VAT/duty fee is applied to everything, so although I got free shipping, there were the couriers fees here. Where I live DHL don't deliver, so it came via Kerry, then there were Thai admin costs at customs. All in all, I paid about double what I thought. Stll a great deal for me, but I would have preferred to pay that all up front. I think there's a great advantage to knowing the final cost.
That's pretty poor! :(
You just wonder how 12.5% can become double.
At least in the the UK we know we will pay 20% plus £8 admin fee, and that's it.

Have you ever bought on ebay or Amazon with their fixed cost schemes? If so, do you still get surprises?
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Caller »

JAFO wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:37 pm You just wonder how 12.5% can become double.
At least in the the UK we know we will pay 20% plus £8 admin fee, and that's it.

Have you ever bought on ebay or Amazon with their fixed cost schemes? If so, do you still get surprises?
Well, I bought the watch in the sale and free shipping is a plus. So whilst it was frustrating, it was my own fault for being so naive. I was still happy with the deal.

In answer to your question, yes I have and no surprises.
'Tis me