Bezel Play??

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Wiggles
Senior
Senior

Re: Bezel Play??

Post by Wiggles »

Rookie1986 wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:58 pm Bit of a strange question I guess, but how much bezel play do people expect to have on a new watch, or more importantly how much is acceptable?

I received a C60 Trident around two weeks ago, the watch seemed great to me and I was happy with it, today we had family visit and I was talking watches with my uncle, he had a look at my C60 and said that he loved the design of the watch and the translucent dial was mesmerising, he was looking at the watch and then I could see him look confused with the bezel, he was moving it back and forth, held it to his ear and said that the play on the bezel wasn’t right to him (he could hear an audible “click” when pressing the bezel at the 12 and 6 o’clock). He then compared it side-by-side to his watch which didn’t have any play and showed me the difference between the two.

Now his watch costs in the multiple of thousands so considerably more expensive than my C60 but now it’s got me thinking, how much (if any) play should there be on the bezel??
I own two CW dive watches with a bezel, and neither have any back play. In fact, the bezels on both are as good as I would expect on any watch at any price. Creating perfect bezel action without play is not an expensive thing to do for any watch manufacturer. I suspect yours is faulty, and you should consider it as so
Wiggles
Senior
Senior

Post by Wiggles »

Rookie1986 wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:21 am
H0rati0 wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:46 am ATM I am wearing a C60 mk2. There is no play in the bezel - rock solid until you move it.

Mk3 I cannot speak for, but I understand the bezel is pretty awesome, if a little more pliable then mk2.
It’s hard to describe, but the play isn’t left or right but if you press the bezel from the 12 or 6 o’clock position it actually moves up and down away or towards the case (not rotating, but in and out from the front of the watch, so if pressing at the 12 it sinks there and at the 6 raises up away from the case).
That's called "bounce" and it shouldn't have any
Rookie1986
Expert
Expert

Post by Rookie1986 »

Wiggles wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:16 pm I own two CW dive watches with a bezel, and neither have any back play. In fact, the bezels on both are as good as I would expect on any watch at any price. Creating perfect bezel action without play is not an expensive thing to do for any watch manufacturer. I suspect yours is faulty, and you should consider it as so
In the end I took the decision to return it for repair/exchange, it wasn’t exactly back play on the bezel but that it could actually be rocked/tiled back and forth away from the actual case by pressing at the 12 or 6 position. Possibly something that others might have ignored and lived with but on a £1000 watch personally I’d rather have it resolved whilst still in the 60 day returns window (some might say I’m just picky/awkward lol).
Wiggles
Senior
Senior

Post by Wiggles »

Rookie1986 wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:08 am
Wiggles wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:16 pm I own two CW dive watches with a bezel, and neither have any back play. In fact, the bezels on both are as good as I would expect on any watch at any price. Creating perfect bezel action without play is not an expensive thing to do for any watch manufacturer. I suspect yours is faulty, and you should consider it as so
In the end I took the decision to return it for repair/exchange, it wasn’t exactly back play on the bezel but that it could actually be rocked/tiled back and forth away from the actual case by pressing at the 12 or 6 position. Possibly something that others might have ignored and lived with but on a £1000 watch personally I’d rather have it resolved whilst still in the 60 day returns window (some might say I’m just picky/awkward lol).
Not at all. It is called bezel wobble, and you shouldn't get that on any watch that costs more than a few hundred quid
brash47
Expert
Expert

Post by brash47 »

Let us know how it turns out!

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Rookie1986
Expert
Expert

Post by Rookie1986 »

brash47 wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:24 pm Let us know how it turns out!

Unfortunately CW said they couldn’t find either fault (bezel or bracelet) and asked when I would like it posting back out to me, I kindly declined and just asked for a refund. A little disappointed but I’ll look elsewhere as I wasn’t pleased with the quality this time around (I owned a C60 GMT Mk1 back in 2012 and it was flawless).
A1soknownas
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by A1soknownas »

Rookie1986 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:10 pm

Unfortunately CW said they couldn’t find either fault (bezel or bracelet) and asked when I would like it posting back out to me, I kindly declined and just asked for a refund. A little disappointed but I’ll look elsewhere as I wasn’t pleased with the quality this time around (I owned a C60 GMT Mk1 back in 2012 and it was flawless).
Sorry to hear that.

I am not too surprised with the outcome though. It was the same with my example which I returned for repair or replacement as soon as I received it - accept that they just sent it back without asking what I wanted to do!

Although you were unlucky and it is annoying, I don't think it is common otherwise others would mention they have the same as it is easy to spot if it is there. The examples I have seen have been 40mm not 42mm. But they both should be solid although a different feel to the Mk1&2 bezels and overall generally much improved.

If you like the watch apart from that and don't find anything else quickly - it is difficult to for these specs at this price. You could consider buying another once you get a refund and a voucher code is available (or even 2 on a credit card for example) and see what they are like and then return one or both.

Otherwise, good luck in your search!
Rookie1986
Expert
Expert

Post by Rookie1986 »

A1soknownas wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:23 pm
Rookie1986 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:10 pm

Sorry to hear that.

I am not too surprised with the outcome though. It was the same with my example which I returned for repair or replacement as soon as I received it - accept that they just sent it back without asking what I wanted to do!

Although you were unlucky and it is annoying, I don't think it is common otherwise others would mention they have the same as it is easy to spot if it is there. The examples I have seen have been 40mm not 42mm. But they both should be solid although a different feel to the Mk1&2 bezels and overall generally much improved.

If you like the watch apart from that and don't find anything else quickly - it is difficult to for these specs at this price. You could consider buying another once you get a refund and a voucher code is available (or even 2 on a credit card for example) and see what they are like and then return one or both.

Otherwise, good luck in your search!
Yeah I know what you mean, generally speaking they are highly regarded and the specs are great for the money but it sours the experience when they say there’s no such fault with either item that you’ve returned and for that reason I’m out.
Jkpa
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Jkpa »

My MK3 had a little bit of play. My current MK2 has absolutely zero play albeit a little stiffer and harder (not hard) to turn.
A1soknownas
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by A1soknownas »

Rookie1986 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:40 pm Yeah I know what you mean, generally speaking they are highly regarded and the specs are great for the money but it sours the experience when they say there’s no such fault with either item that you’ve returned and for that reason I’m out.
Totally agree and I don't blame you. The attitude sometimes displayed to plainly deny that there is an issue really doesn't inspire confidence.

I am not surprised that they can't spot the problem with your watch though...Especially at a time when they can produce final production models of key new releases, produce marketing materials, print manuals and not realise that one has half the water resistance it should have and the other has misplaced text on the dial :crazy:!

If it was in person or in store at least you could have a decent conversation and compare with other stock before you walk away.

Hope you find something else :thumbup:
Rookie1986
Expert
Expert

Post by Rookie1986 »

Jkpa wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:52 pm My MK3 had a little bit of play. My current MK2 has absolutely zero play albeit a little stiffer and harder (not hard) to turn.
It wasn’t backplay on the bezel, it actually rocked by pressing (with minimal force) at the 12 or 6 o’clock position and lifted away from the case, it’s the first time I’ve actually seen this and even cheaper watches the I own by the likes of Orient and Seiko don’t have this issue.
A1soknownas wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:04 pm
Totally agree and I don't blame you. The attitude sometimes displayed to plainly deny that there is an issue really doesn't inspire confidence.

I am not surprised that they can't spot the problem with your watch though...Especially at a time when they can produce final production models of key new releases, produce marketing materials, print manuals and not realise that one has half the water resistance it should have and the other has misplaced text on the dial :crazy:!

If it was in person or in store at least you could have a decent conversation and compare with other stock before you walk away.

It is what it is, lots of other options out there so I’m sure I won’t feel stuck for choice. It’s a shame as I don’t think I’ve seen anything quite as stunning as the BLUE LE
Jkpa
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Jkpa »

Rookie1986 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:33 pm
Jkpa wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:52 pm My MK3 had a little bit of play. My current MK2 has absolutely zero play albeit a little stiffer and harder (not hard) to turn.
It wasn’t backplay on the bezel, it actually rocked by pressing (with minimal force) at the 12 or 6 o’clock position and lifted away from the case, it’s the first time I’ve actually seen this and even cheaper watches the I own by the likes of Orient and Seiko don’t have this issue.

It is what it is, lots of other options out there so I’m sure I won’t feel stuck for choice. It’s a shame as I don’t think I’ve seen anything quite as stunning as the BLUE LE
Sorry I missed that. That sounds faulty for sure.
Rookie1986
Expert
Expert

Post by Rookie1986 »

Rookie1986 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:40 pm Yeah I know what you mean, generally speaking they are highly regarded and the specs are great for the money but it sours the experience when they say there’s no such fault with either item that you’ve returned and for that reason I’m out.

Maybe it’s a common fault with the current C60 line (unlikely) or possibly isolated to just this LE, I’ve seen two more posts on r/Watches over the last week describing the same fault that I had with mine on the exact same BLUE LE watch, which is a little concerning as I’d always held CW in high regards when it came to quality and QC in general.