Another return policy question

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
mxo

Another return policy question

Post by mxo »

Hi, new to the forum.

I want to take advantage of the discount that expires in a few hours and get my first CW.

I'm wanting to purchase (and keep) one of these:
- CW C60 Trident Pro 600, 38mm
- CW C60 Trident Pro 600, 40mm
- Cw C60 Trident GMT 600, 40mm (did they discontinue 38mm version?)

Due to my small wrist size, I'd like to place it on my wrist and see how it looks and feels, in terms of size, fit, and weight.

Is ordering 3 (maybe 4) and returning all but one seem a little too much? Would that be frowned upon? I'm in the USA, and I read the return policy language regarding un-worn condition, etc. I just want to make sure it can be done, and also not look like I'm taking advantage of the system.

Thank you.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Re: Another return policy question

Post by jkbarnes »

I don’t think you’re taking advantage of the system, this is what it was intended for. The only issue you ought to be concerned with if you’re here in the States is that you will be hit with a customs tax on that purchases. Any watch over $800 is subject to a duty.

So be aware that in ordering three with the intent of keeping one, you’ll be paying a duty just to do that.

Many on here can weigh in with opinions about what size might suit your wrist best. Perhaps take a chance on ordering one after a more informed decision about size.

Alternatively, hold up on the purchase for now, see what kind of feedback you get from others about size, then order during the big annual sale that typically happens in January. You can score some great deals that might bring the cost down below the duty threshold. Gotta act fast though! The forum is pretty good about posting about the sale.

If you sign up for CW’s email list you’ll get early bird access to the sale. All the best stuff goes quickly!
Andrew
“I can't stand it to think my life is going so fast and I'm not really living it.”

C65 Trident Vintage
C65 AM GT LE

CW Wishlist:
C65 Trident GMT Worldtimer
C9 5 Day SS

Find me on Instagram @jkbarnes
Or follow my photography on Instagram @jkbarnesphotos
MarkingTime
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 4

Post by MarkingTime »

I have relatively small wrists and prefer a smaller watch than CW 42mm. The 38mm wears quite small though. Being a diver, the bezel takes up some significant real estate, so the dial can seem small. I would think the 40mm to be the sweet spot in size, but opinions vary.

Regardless of size, no-one is going to look at your watch and claim it's to big or small, even the 42mm is quite modestly sized when compared to some, think Omega, Oris and Seiko large divers at 44mm and above.

The overall size of the watch is less important than the style and design. I have a 36mm Tudor BlackBay and due to the lack of dive bezel, looks larger than my 38mm CW C61s.
Rookie1986
Expert
Expert

Post by Rookie1986 »

I’ve got fairly slim wrists (around 17cm) and I find that the 40mm C60 looks great.

I’d also check with the local customs office as items which are due to be returned are usually tax exempt or you should at least be able to claim it back (you might need the customs declaration to state that the items are temporary exports for the exemption to take effect).

Good luck in choosing your CW :)
brash47
Senior
Senior

Post by brash47 »

I have a 7.25-7.50 wrist. I have the 42mm 1000 elite gmt, 40mm sapphire pro 600 and 40mm 600 pro gmt. The 40mm is going to be the sweet spot. Remember that with bracelet endlinks, they are "male" style and will extend beyond the lug ends before the bracelet starts to drop on your wrist.

I wear both very well, but I prefer the 40mm out of them all.

Just to add another decision in, I would highly consider any of the C65 divers. If you want the true sweet spot of a watch, 41mm diameter, extremely thin profile and it sits "in" the wrist, not on it. With a smaller wrist, I'd bet the C65 would be stunning.

Of the 3, the C65 is my favorite due to its literal perfect fit on the wrist.

As another poster said, wait til January Sale. You will save yourself alot of customs fees. And I'm almost positive that another coupon will come out in January or soon after the sale.

Order each watch separate because with the sale, if you're under $800, no customs.

1. 42mm C60 Trident Elite 1000 GMT.

2. 40MM C60 Trident Pro 600 GMT

3. 41MM C65 Trident GMT

BrashImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

ajax87
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 5

Post by ajax87 »

I have a very small wrist, about 6”. I have a 38mm C60 gmt, and a 40 and a 42mm C60. I also have the 41mm C65 SC which wears biggest of them all.

I wear a 36mm with the same smile on my face as when I wear my 45mm chunky Tissot. Think of the size more like a style, which you can change at will, and you can wear any size happily. That way, the only decision you have to make is the color and style of watch, and not the size.

If that’s not your style, you can absolutely do what you proposed. Not sure about the customs duty waived fee for returns as stated previously, might be worth looking into. Otherwise, you’ll pay customs duties on each watch over $800, which I’ve paid between $40 and $90 on depending on the watch.

Happy hunting!
Alex
C5 Malvern Aviator Mk1|C60 Sapphire|C60 Abyss|C65 Super Compressor|C60 Trident mk3 GMT|60s Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster mk40 Cosmos|Hamilton Intramatic chrono|Shinola Runwell auto|Tissot|Timex
mxo

Post by mxo »

It's obvious that the best course of action is to buy them all and keep them all. :lol:

Kidding aside, I decided to wait for the January sale as many suggested, and I now know the duty tax issue that I didn't think through before.

I need to be careful here because I have a tendency to 'collect'...
JAFO
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by JAFO »

If you buy from the US would you have to pay import tax? Is it easy to get it back if you change your mind.

I have imported from the US on the basis that I won't return anything, because of the potential hassle.

The only c60 I have is a 43mm bronze, which certainly doesn't wear big. I would think either a 40 or 38 would be a matter of taste, but 38mm minus a rotating bezel doesn't leave a lot of watch. Do you have other watches. Which size do you prefer?
mxo

Post by mxo »

Looking at the height pictures by brash47 again, I need to reconsider GMT. Might be too thick. Thank you for the comparison pictures, btw.

> Do you have other watches. Which size do you prefer?

I've had 2 Tag diver quartz watches I bought like 2 decades ago. 1500 and 2000 multigraph, both 38mm diameter. 1500 was light and flatter, I did everything with it without feeling the weight of it. Not sure if I liked 2000 - felt too tall for the diameter size, always found myself shifting it. Might have been the bracelet not sized correctly, felt better when I switched to strap. I used to like the size of both when I bought them but now they look a little too small.
rkovars
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 4

Post by rkovars »

A better measurement to look at is the lug to lug. How wide your wrist is plays an important part on how a watch fits. There are some big watches out there that don't wear big because of a compact lug to lug (a lot of Seiko divers fall in this category) Wrists are more oval than anything else with wide fairly flat tops and bottoms. I would take your old watches and measure the lug to lug distance. All of the CW watches have this dimension published in the specs. This will get you closer to guessing how something will fit.
Current CW = C65 Trident Vintage GMT, C65 Dartmouth, C60 Trident Ombre COSC LE, C65 Super Compressor

In Review:

2 More CW's on the short list! (This is pretty much a lie - I have at least 10 CW Tabs open at the moment!)