Do you have a favorite time period for C.W. watches

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
the fish guy
Junior
Junior

Do you have a favorite time period for C.W. watches

Post by the fish guy »

I do love a lot of the new C.W. watches, but I wish I knew about the brand 2015-2018. I really like the older logo, the designs and color schemes of those three years. Still looking for the white dial green bezel on ebay. I also love the first bronze Ombre which is on my list. I have the new Ombre, but it looks too dressy and slim for a bronze watch. I mean it's OK, but the edition before that looks like a perfected blackbay bronze.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: Do you have a favorite time period for C.W. watches

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

the fish guy wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:47 pm I do love a lot of the new C.W. watches, but I wish I knew about the brand 2015-2018.
Did you mean 2005 (when the brand first started)?

Delving into the archive, you can look at the timeline and click on the launches for the year. This will take you to the pages for each model.

https://cwarchive.knack.com/cwarchive/#timeline/

Everyone will have different favourites from the past. Mine are the C5 Malvern Mk1 and the C70 Grand Prix range

Having said that, the modern watches are a distinct step up in terms of case design particularly, but there is a lot of charm in the old Malvern.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by 0uatiOW »

I bought my first Christoper Ward watch in 2016, having seen an ad in an in-flight magazine for the Bluebird. I bought an “old logo” C60 GMT, which I still have. Since then I’ve bought another 6 CW watches - 2 C60s, 3 C7s & a C8. I also bought a C1000 Typhoon at one point but returned it under 60/60, which may have been a mistake.

2016 & 2017 represent what excited me about CW, and the company had established a well-deserved reputation for quality and value. There were some great watches launched as just I started to look at other brands - I still view the C65 Automatic as a strong candidate for a daily wear, but I didn’t buy one as I stepped back a little when the logo change came.
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
the fish guy
Junior
Junior

Post by the fish guy »

I agree Ouatiow, The original watches didn't do much for me at the inception of the company. I really like the masculinity of the c60, as well as the color schemes in the years you mentioned. I do like my new black gold, which I guess is like a dive/dress watch hybrid, but it didn't look so good on the Ombre. I will probably keep the new edition Ombre, but definitely want the old style Ombre
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:54 pm Mine are the C5 Malvern Mk1 and the C70 Grand Prix range
I’ve always loved the C70 Grand Prix range, especially the FR 1906.
Drew
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by jtc »

I'd like to see them revisit a ceramic case like the C1000 but with a twin flags motif style...
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
Rookie1986
Expert
Expert

Post by Rookie1986 »

I found the brand around 2012, and loved the designs which were starting to appear between the 2009-2013 era, not that the stuff that followed was bad, I just started to pursue other watches and brands. It took the C60 Trident Mk3 BLUE LE to get me back here and since I am I’ve also got my eye on the C65 Dartmouth.

My top 5 watches would be (as you can tell, most are from the 2009-2013 era):-

5). C7-BRGT-MKII - Loved the design of this, unfortunately didn’t have the funds to pull the trigger at the time so never got the chance to own one.
4). C900-SP-SWKR - Probably a milestone watch in the CW line up for me, simply amazing and still one of the best models they’ve released.
3). C9-JH-SWTR - Beautiful design, simplistic and perfectly balanced, a masterpiece.
2). C60-40ADA3-S0BB1 - My current CW, the dial is simply stunning, possibly one of the most unique designs I’ve ever seen, it’s simply amazing. I probably like it aesthetically better than my number 1 watch but it just takes the top spot.
1). C60-GMT-SKWS - My first CW, the first “proper” watch that I owned and I loved it, unfortunately I sold it a couple of years later.
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

I think my favourite time period for CW is the early years. The cases were very simple, but the designs were unique, and that's why the brand first caught my eye. The stepped dials of the C3 and C5 Malvern were fantastic, and the high gloss black hands of the cream C5A are still among the best I have ever seen. The C6 Kingfisher was (and is) one of the most unique diver designs of the modern era.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
panamavin
Senior
Senior

Post by panamavin »

I think the period from 2015-2018 were prime CW years. I can remember taking a cruise with my new C60 black/white in 2015 and walking through watch shops in the islands thinking nothing there was worth the price jump from a CW. It seems they have stepped up the case design and come out with unique pieces but nothing thus far has screamed buy me now. Only the C60 Abyss SH1 and Super Compressor have given me pause to purchase however now that CW is above the US $800 mark the import fees etc squelched the urge.
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I have a theory about this...the "Good Old Days" Theory.

By no means everyone does, but I feel that quite a lot of people feel an attachment for how things were when they first encountered the brand.

Technically and perhaps stylistically, products might have improved out of all recognition, but there is a sort of antebellum feeling that the grass was greener, the sheep were fatter, the wine was sweeter and glorious summer days lasted for ever.

Do fish and chips in a fancy gastro-pub ever taste as good as the ones you ate from newspaper on the seafront 50 years ago?
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:53 pm I have a theory about this...the "Good Old Days" Theory.

By no means everyone does, but I feel that quite a lot of people feel an attachment for how things were when they first encountered the brand.

Technically and perhaps stylistically, products might have improved out of all recognition, but there is a sort of antebellum feeling that the grass was greener, the sheep were fatter, the wine was sweeter and glorious summer days lasted for ever.

Do fish and chips in a fancy gastro-pub ever taste as good as the ones you ate from newspaper on the seafront 50 years ago?
This is a true observation for a great many things, I think, not just products & brands.

And a 👍 for using the word antebellum!
Drew
Galton321
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 14
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes

Post by Galton321 »

There is a lot of truth in what Amor Vincit Omnia says. I hark back to the early days. I first came across the brand in 2008 and there was a feeling of stumbling across something new. Like all these things you feel part of a select group who have also discovered this secret, totally unaware of the possible thousands of other who made the discovery. The models felt new personal and a bargain. Now I really feel that they are just a brand like any other. The quality is excellent as is the deal, 60/60 and so on. The prices still very competitive but I don't really look forward to new models, lots of variations on the C60 theme. I know they are the company's best sellers, and who am I to deny them success, but I think that most divers look the same. Although the C65s are an exception. I know people love to collect them with different bezels and so on but not for me. I haven't completely given up hope but can feel myself drifting away. I have started to look towards other brands, not all inexpensive. Zero West has captured my interest. I'm not a big brand type of bloke. Don't hanker after a Rolex or such great watches though they are.
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by 0uatiOW »

Galton321 wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:07 pm The models felt new personal and a bargain.

Zero West has captured my interest.
ZeroWest :thumbup: :thumbup: - ok, I’ll shut up now.

How much of a bargain were CW when they first launched. I only became CW-aware in 2016, during which time I’ve seen the price of my reference model C60 GMT on steel increase from mid £800s to over £1000. That’s about a 20% increase, ignoring inflation. 5% per year doesn’t sound a lot but it does exceed inflation, and in my head I do have a sense that they are now fairly priced as opposed to cheap.
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
Galton321
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 14
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes

Post by Galton321 »

Being a bargain is a bit subjective but the first CW watch I bought was the C6 Kingfisher Forum LE. This was the first diver with a mechanical ETA movement. It cost £255 in 2008. Applying inflation that's £327.69 in today's money. I guess the nearest equivalent today would be the C60 Trident Pro 600 at £870. This does not allow for changes in material costs and production costs etc etc. I guess a comparison would be other brands and I still feel CW are really good value.
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:53 pm I have a theory about this...the "Good Old Days" Theory.

Familiarity is what stopped our ancestors from getting totally lost I suppose.

Looking at my CW shelf it's clear that my preference is for automatic C60 in MkI and MkII guises and for the "heritage lines" of C6 Kingfishers and C600 Tritech Elites. Is that exactly where I started this journey? No it isn't as I probably tried every other C single digit model as well as the C70s. I was never greatly a fan of the early models which were oft described as being quintissentially English design, the C3 and C5 variants; though admiring their technical proficiency I'm still not warm to the C60 MkIII line.

Yes, I'm back in childhood, fish chips and mushy peas (NOT guocamole!!) in the newspaper and probably wiping my greasy fingers on the arse of my shorts.... :oops:
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands