CW 2020 Forum Watch of the Year

Discuss Christopher Ward watches

Which model is the most significant introduction of 2020 for Christopher Ward?

Poll ended at Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:12 pm

C60 Abyss GMT
No votes
C60 Abyss SH21
1%
C60 Chronograph
No votes
C60 Elite 1000
4%
C60 Elite GMT 1000
1%
C60 Lympstone
3%
C60 Sapphire
25%
C60 Trident Bronze 40
1%
C65 AM GT
4%
C65 Chronograph
3%
C65 GMT WorldTimer
No votes
C65 Super Compressor
56%

Total votes: 71

Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 146
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

CW 2020 Forum Watch of the Year

Post by Kip »

As 2020 comes to a close, it is that time of year for the CW Forum inmates to decide what we think is the best new watch model introduction for 2020 by Christopher Ward (CW).

This year CW has seen the release of 16 models and 66 variants. This does not include bespoke models. Our voting list has been narrowed down to 12 core models for voting.

Limited editions such as the C60 Blue Marine, C65 Sandstorm and C65 Sandstorm Blackout are variants based on a core models or limited editions, therefore, have not been included. This is the same way we have determined the voting list in prior years.

If you feel I have erred by not including a model, let me know and it can be added, although it would be by a separate tally.

What is included are totally new introductions that are a result of new movements, design, case size and/or innovations.

The year started out normal enough and we all looked forward to the “Year of the Chronograph” that was promised by Mike France in 2019. The first shocker came with the announcement that The man himself, Christopher Ward, was leaving the company that carried his name. Then Covid -19 showed up and changed the way we live.

New releases started in January with the C60 Elite 1000. This was based on the C60 Trident Elite 1000 LE released in May 2019. The Elite LE sold out very quickly so with some minor cosmetic and a movement change, it was brought back as an open series,

As Covid-19 continued to spread and some shutdowns began, supply chains became more difficult to maintain. The yearly plan at CW had to be altered. Still, in March we saw the C65 Worldtimer followed in April by the C60 Elite GMT 1000 and the innovative C60 Sapphire. As we still waited for chronograph announcements, the usual release schedule of CW seemed to grind to a halt due to Covid-19. Most at CW learned to work from home and the service dept. had ground to a halt.

Finally in July the C65 AM GT Limited Edition was released. August showed more promise as the C60 Trident Bronze 40, C60 Lympstone and the long awaited C65 Super Compressor were announced. In October we finally saw some chronographs in the form of the C60 Chronograph, and C65 Chronograph followed by the C60 Abyss GMT and C60 Abyss SH21.

November became collaboration month as the C60 Blue Marine, designed in conjunction with the Blue Marine foundation and the C65 Sandstorm and C65 Sandstorm Blackout, that were designed by the guys at Worn and Wound, were announced.

Overall this year had the fewest releases since 2016 and the smallest number of regular line introductions since 2006! We blame Covid-19….yet we still keep moving forward. In the past, low model release years have been followed with years that were very prolific. We shall see what CW has in store for us next year.

In previous Watch of the Year voting, the forum has looked beyond what may be a personal favorite and voted based on the evidence. I expect this to continue this year.

What we are looking for is the one watch that, we as forum members, feel will have the most significant impact on CWL, not only now, but in the future.

Photos and specs of most models may be seen in the CWArchive. Other real world photos may be found in the Reference Gallery and Gallery. You can also scroll through our News Forum to view previous CW Watch of the Year Winners.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Re: CW 2020 Forum Watch of the Year

Post by H0rati0 »

I will go with the Super Compressor though unhappily, lack of date means I shall not be partaking.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by jkbarnes »

As much as I want to vote for the C65 AM GT LE for personal reasons, I’ve got the go with Super Compressor. If I could be more precise, I’m going with the Deep Blue SC!

For me, the vote is about the technology behind it more than anything else.
Andrew
“I can't stand it to think my life is going so fast and I'm not really living it.”

C65 Trident Vintage
C65 AM GT LE

CW Wishlist:
C65 Trident GMT Worldtimer
C9 5 Day SS

Find me on Instagram @jkbarnes
Or follow my photography on Instagram @jkbarnesphotos
Viognier
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Viognier »

C65 Chronograph nabbed my vote!! Really like that dial
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
Devarika Woulf
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by Devarika Woulf »

The Super Compressor is definitely it for me. And though I like the new Deep Blue, my vote is towards the Ocean Blue and Black Sand. I was quite taken aback when they came out and the Ocean is my personal favorite. BTW the Sand is now sold out and discontinued I believe.
Christopher Ward | CITIZEN | LORIER | Momentum | MONTA

-Joseph
strapline
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

Interesting to look at those results, I'm amazed at the poor showing for the C60 Sapphire. It created quite a storm when it first launched.
I'm a tool watch kinda guy; bezels and pushers for me. I used to dive, I used to climb mountains. I spend too much time looking at watches.
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by albionphoto »

Another Super Compressor vote here. If I'd had a second choice it would have gone to the Sapphire as this is a platform CW can carry forward a long way in the future.
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Omega, Orion, Oris and Seiko
Macdaz
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
CW-watches: 10

Post by Macdaz »

It has to be the SC for me. Not only because I can see one wrapped and under the tree, but I just love the desire and passion to reverse engineer and build something that hasn't been made for decades for no practical reason, but just because. That pretty much sums up this hobby and I love it!
SMP|Victorinox Groundforce|Orient Mako/XL|Steinhart OVM|Smiths Everest|C60 Trident 600|C3Malvern|Seiko Recraft|C8 Pilot Mk2|Vostok 1965|Laco Aachen|C8 Flyer Mk1|Seiko Monster|C7 Rapide|Steinhart Aviation|C65 GMT|C9 AM GT LE|C60 Bronze|C8 Al Deere|C65 SC
oberonfoto
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by oberonfoto »

No C65 Dartmouth (Black) so not voting for anything.
David
CWL C60 Trident Pro Orange, C60 Trident 600 GMT Red, C60 Trident 300 - RN SM Service, C60 Trident 600 Bronze GMT, C65 Dartmouth S1 Black
EB Canford, Omega Geneve, Record Swan, CWC G10
Wife:
CWL Constance
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

oberonfoto wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:48 pm
No C65 Dartmouth (Black) so not voting for anything.
Understood, but the black is just a colour variant of a watch that was released in 2019, which is why it wasn't included.

From Kip's post...
In previous Watch of the Year voting, the forum has looked beyond what may be a personal favorite and voted based on the evidence. I expect this to continue this year.

What we are looking for is the one watch that, we as forum members, feel will have the most significant impact on CWL, not only now, but in the future.
I can understand the temptation to vote for a personal favourite...I did it once! :oops:
Steve
The half minute which we daily devote to the winding-up of our watches is an exertion of labour almost insensible; yet, by the aid of a few wheels, its effect is spread over the whole twenty-four hours.
Charles Babbage

@Avo238
ajax87
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 5

Post by ajax87 »

This was a tough choice for me. The C60 Sapphire is what brought me back to the brand after a long absence, partially due to the amount of advertising CW was doing for it. But I think as far as impact on CW goes, the process of reverse engineering the super compressor case to bring a true one back to mainstream is what did it for me for the C65 SC. Anecdotally, it looks to me like it has had more of an impact on the watch industry than the sapphire per the articles and reviews I’ve seen. And I don’t think CW did as much advertising for the super compressor as for the sapphire.
Alex
C5 Malvern Aviator Mk1|C60 Sapphire|C60 Abyss|C65 Super Compressor|C60 Trident mk3 GMT|60s Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster mk40 Cosmos|Hamilton Intramatic chrono|Shinola Runwell auto|Tissot|Timex
exHowfener
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 1

Post by exHowfener »

Another vote for the SC. I still don't understand it, but it's gorgeous and the only one on the list that would tempt me to open my wallet. For me, the lack of a date is a bonus for occasional wear.
CBMVic20
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 7

Post by CBMVic20 »

Most significant? I voted the C65 Compressor even though I like the C60 Chrono and C65 GT more.
CW C8 World Timer | C9 5-Day | C11 Extreme | C40 Speedhawk | C60 Pro MkII x2 | C60 Pro SH21 | C65 SH21
Marc & Sons MSD-046 Yellow
Oris WilliamsF1 Day Date 2004
Seiko 5 Sports Auto Orange
Tag F1 Panda

Too many watches, not enough time :(
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

There’s a couple of nice watches there, but for sheer innovation and not being a C60, the SC is an appealing watch - especially the deep blue
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Caller »

strapline wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:54 pm
Interesting to look at those results, I'm amazed at the poor showing for the C60 Sapphire. It created quite a storm when it first launched.
Yes, but not necessarily for the reasons CW would would have appreciated.
'Tis me