CW Dress Watches

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Czechia
Senior
Senior

CW Dress Watches

Post by Czechia »

I'm getting prepared to take the plunge on a new CW dress watch, however, I have noticed they C1 Grand Malvern range is no longer available. I always admired the 2016 C1 Grand Malvern Power Reserve.

Anyhow, my question being are there any new releases planned for CW dress watches, something similar to the C1 Grand Malvern range... I actually have the 595 slimline and C5 automatic Mk3 but I'd a love a real top end CW dress range to take the final berth in my collection.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Re: CW Dress Watches

Post by jkbarnes »

Good question! The lines that were mainstays of the brand when I first discovered CW seem to be slowly disappearing as stock runs out - the C9/5/3s of the dress line, the C7 motorsport line, and the C8 aviation line.

Companies grow and evolve I guess. The C60 line and the C65s in all their various forms are great, so no complaints from me.
Drew
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

jkbarnes wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:52 pm The C60 line and the C65s in all their various forms are great, so no complaints from me.
There's no point in my complaining either as I'm not looking to expand the collection any time soon. As a bit of a purist with a sneaking liking for dressier watches I might like to see a bit more variety. Again, I can't complain as I haven't contributed directly to CW's coffers (except the C65 Trident Diver) for some time.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

I wouldn't mind adding a Moonglow to the collection. But I have to agree there is getting to be slim pickings in the dress section.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

I was taking a look at the CWArchives to get an idea on when the different collections were updated. It’s quite enlightening.

Motorsport Collection
  • The last non-LE C7 was introduced in 2017 and is no longer available
  • The only currently available C7s are LE models, all introduced in 2018
  • The only currently available Motorsport watches are the C3 Grand Tour, introduced in 2018, and the Morgan watches
  • The most recent Motorsport watch was a C65, and it was a limited edition

Aviation Collection
  • The only current C8 is the Power Reserve, introduced in 2016
  • The only other aviation watches are a LE C8 & C9, introduced in 2017 & 2017

Dress Collection
  • No more C3s listed
  • No more C5s
  • No more C9s
  • Just a handful of C1 variants, introduced in 2017, 2018, and 2019

One could argue CW needs to update these lines across the board....or is CW in the midst of a realignment of their line as they focus on the C60 and C65 and clear out old stock in other lines? It’s all very interesting.
Drew
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

I can easily CW dropping or at least greatly reducing the dress/elegant range. As I have observed before, they move very slowly these days compared to "sporty" watches and it affects the entire industry, not just CW.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

H0rati0 wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:14 pm I can easily CW dropping or at least greatly reducing the dress/elegant range. As I have observed before, they move very slowly these days compared to "sporty" watches and it affects the entire industry, not just CW.
For sure. Just go to any Rolex AD. You can try the Cillini of your choice no problem. The case is full of them.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
Amor Vincit Omnia

Nice cosy night in. Nothing new there! :lol:

I thought I would wear this...still one of CW’s finest IMHO.

DFFBE2F4-3F35-4990-8962-0E73F9C83ED0.jpeg
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
jimbo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jimbo »

Plus 1 on the watch above. Love mine :) (weird I have the same taste as AVO)
Remember...your left hand has the thumb on the right hand side
Amor Vincit Omnia

jimbo wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:10 pm Plus 1 on the watch above. Love mine :) (weird I have the same taste as AVO)
Nothing weird about exquisite taste, Jimbo. More subtle than polychromatic harlequin swimming watches. :wink:
Steve

Paul Drawmer
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 7

Post by Paul Drawmer »

C5 mk1 auto.
Agree with you 100%
The first CW auto and I reckon one of their very best. It is better than all the later iterations.
c5 dial.jpg
There's always time for one more.
Czechia
Senior
Senior

Post by Czechia »

Both of those C5 Mk1's are beautiful watches.
I really hope we do see a new offering in the C5 range, or C1 Grand Malvern range - both stunning watches in their own right.

It's interesting reading the replies here, it's be such a shame if they stop making dress watches. There is always room for the classic, elegant watches.

I do like the moonglow and moonphase, but, well, I can't get my sights off the C1 Grand Malvern range - I really hope one crops up in the January sale, think I am going be glued to refreshing the forum and website when that time rolls around.
Amor Vincit Omnia

Czechia wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:39 am Both of those C5 Mk1's are beautiful watches.
I really hope we do see a new offering in the C5 range, or C1 Grand Malvern range - both stunning watches in their own right.
Agreed. It keeps the overall output in balance...
It's interesting reading the replies here, it's be such a shame if they stop making dress watches. There is always room for the classic, elegant watches.
Not in everyone's collection, it would seem. Not all collections have that breadth of styles. And if they are going to make them, they need to sell them.
I do like the moonglow and moonphase, but, well, I can't get my sights off the C1 Grand Malvern range - I really hope one crops up in the January sale, think I am going be glued to refreshing the forum and website when that time rolls around.
Keep your eye on Sales Corner - they occasionally come up.
Steve

Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

I think CW has made some lovely dress watches over the years, including those early ones pictured above. I'd agree with Nik that the demand for dress watches has fallen and clearly moved into dive/chrono/sport watches over the past few years hence CW's range of watches has gravitated to the C60/C65 dominated line up now (no different to most other watch companies).

Covid has only accelerated this trend with people spending less time in more formal office environments, although that might regress a little next year when we all return to a bit more normality (I hope and believe). My own collection and tastes reflect this with probably only one proper dress(y) watch (Hamilton Jazzmaster day date).
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
alanrolfe01
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 25

Post by alanrolfe01 »

A quality dress watch, especially with the SH21 movement, should be like a flagship of the range CW offer. I would say that there should be at least one option in each section using the SH21 movement. The Dress, Aviation, and the Motorsport sections appear to be in need of new models.
The possible saving for you is there could be some C1 Malvern Power Reserve watches left in stock, and a bargain may become available in the January Sale. If you were ready to take the plunge another option would be to contact Vallen as sometimes a deal can be done directly even though the watch isn't on the website (that's how I got my C65 AM GT LE).
Good Luck

Alan