Dartmouth Series 1....is there a series 2 coming?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
bb-mobile

Re: Dartmouth Series 1....is there a series 2 coming?

Post by bb-mobile »

A blue ring on the crown of a watch with a black dial and bezel doesn’t make any design sense to me. Why would a company that sweats the details of its case and bracelet designs do that? They could’ve saved more money by foregoing the colored ring alltogether. If I could choose I’d prefer no color to the mismatched crown color. It would bother me. And that’s my suggestion for a series 2.
Blackdog
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

Post by Blackdog »

oberonfoto wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:36 pm
bb-mobile wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:46 am Also on the subject of the Dartmouth, can anyone confirm the color of the ring on the crown on the Series 1 black dial version?
It’s blue on my one, but it was subject to recall cause the bezel isn’t lumed fully so they may have fitted the wrong crown as well. 🙄
It's blue on mine too. But what do you mean by bezel not being fully lumed ? Mine only has a lumed triangle at 12, the other major bezel markers are just sand colored, is it not how they all are ?
oberonfoto
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by oberonfoto »

Blackdog wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:20 am
oberonfoto wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:36 pm
bb-mobile wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:46 am Also on the subject of the Dartmouth, can anyone confirm the color of the ring on the crown on the Series 1 black dial version?
It’s blue on my one, but it was subject to recall cause the bezel isn’t lumed fully so they may have fitted the wrong crown as well. 🙄
It's blue on mine too. But what do you mean by bezel not being fully lumed ? Mine only has a lumed triangle at 12, the other major bezel markers are just sand colored, is it not how they all are ?
The first few black dialled watches escaped with the triangle lumed but the rest of the bezel is white.
image.jpg
David
CWL C60 Trident Pro Orange, C60 Trident 600 GMT Red, C60 Trident 300 - RN SM Service, C60 Trident 600 Bronze GMT, C65 Dartmouth S1 Black
EB Canford SM Service, EB Holton Pro, Omega Geneve, Record Swan, CWC G10
Wife:
CWL Constance
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

The rest have tinted number markings that match the hour markers and hands. The triangle is the only lumed element as well.

20200610_200943065_iOS (2).jpg
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
bb-mobile

Post by bb-mobile »

Kansas City Milkman wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:00 pm Fair enough on the 'homage' point. Perhaps I should restate my point - rather than being closer to the 300, the bezel could just be a bit less busy :)
Something like this?
Attachments
E9ABC9D3-3ACF-45F9-A1B0-E8B5E702E19B.jpeg
20FB2660-F1E6-441A-A40E-D4EBBB9E45E4.jpeg
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

bb-mobile wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:48 am
Kansas City Milkman wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:00 pm Fair enough on the 'homage' point. Perhaps I should restate my point - rather than being closer to the 300, the bezel could just be a bit less busy :)
Something like this?
Thanks for posting, I like that. The change removes some of the ‘noise’ from the bezel.

The pictures on here also bring the black version in as a potential option. If I do go for one, my original thinking was the blue version was preferred, but it’s now neck and neck between black and blue
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

rkovars wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:12 pm The rest have tinted number markings that match the hour markers and hands. The triangle is the only lumed element as well.

Excuse me if I haven't understood this correctly but I'm not sure how well this answers black dog's question. I've too have always been confused about whether the bezel is lumed (like the C60 Trident's is lumed) because the CW spec list states

"Unidirectional aluminium bezel with TC-1 Super-LumiNova®-applied numerals and markers"

but I've never seen photos of this and the CW photos don't show any lumed photos.

Can somebody confirm please as if I was buying purely after reading the specs I would expect full lume of the bezel line markers and numbers.
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

Something like this?
That less busy bezel is exactly what I would like. It's similar to the Omega Seamaster 300 but none the worse for that.
Blackdog
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

Post by Blackdog »

Mikkei4 wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:20 am
Something like this?
That less busy bezel is exactly what I would like. It's similar to the Omega Seamaster 300 but none the worse for that.
The less busy bezel certainly looks sharp. But the MOD-0552 spec (or whatever it was) called for a 60 mins graduated bezel, IIRC...
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

Something like this?
How intriguing. While I admit the Dartmouth dial/bezel combination has a lot going on, I find it works for me. The bezel in the second pic completely changes the look of the watch...and I’m not sure I like it as much.

...and this is from a guy who modded a cheap Seiko because he found it too busy.
Drew
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by rkovars »

Mikkei4 wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:18 am
rkovars wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:12 pm The rest have tinted number markings that match the hour markers and hands. The triangle is the only lumed element as well.

Excuse me if I haven't understood this correctly but I'm not sure how well this answers black dog's question. I've too have always been confused about whether the bezel is lumed (like the C60 Trident's is lumed) because the CW spec list states

"Unidirectional aluminium bezel with TC-1 Super-LumiNova®-applied numerals and markers"

but I've never seen photos of this and the CW photos don't show any lumed photos.

Can somebody confirm please as if I was buying purely after reading the specs I would expect full lume of the bezel line markers and numbers.
As you can see from my photo above the only element lumed on the bezel is the triangle. In the current description on the website they only talk about lume-filled hands and indexes.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by rkovars »

jkbarnes wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:29 pm
Something like this?
How intriguing. While I admit the Dartmouth dial/bezel combination has a lot going on, I find it works for me. The bezel in the second pic completely changes the look of the watch...and I’m not sure I like it as much.

...and this is from a guy who modded a cheap Seiko because he found it too busy.
It also takes away from the military esthetic. The minute markers around the whole bezel were an early defense requirement. Shortening the minute markers by half would help. Although, I think the pictures accentuate the visual from what you get in real life. EDIT - See the picture of my Ombre bezel on page 1 for a visual reference on what I mean.
Jack London
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

Blackdog wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:24 pm
Mikkei4 wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:20 am

Something like this?
The less busy bezel certainly looks sharp. But the MOD-0552 spec (or whatever it was) called for a 60 mins graduated bezel, IIRC...
Fair enough if that's the spec that MOD required. I wonder if the agreement with MOD also means that CW cannot use the watch as a base for a slightly amended version, e.g. 1 with the less busy bezel, that could become part of the Retro Dive collection instead of in the Military collection?

If that's not allowed on the MOD agreement then that probably means there won't be or can't be a Series 2?
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

rkovars wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:36 pm
Mikkei4 wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:18 am

As you can see from my photo above the only element lumed on the bezel is the triangle. In the current description on the website they only talk about lume-filled hands and indexes.
The line re. the bezel in my post was copied this morning from the Specifications tab for the Dartmouth. I've just double-checked and it is still as I cut and pasted this morning and to me reads that the bezel numerals and markers are lumed with TC-1.
If this isn't so then CW need to revise the wording as it's incorrect at best or mis-representation of the watch specifications.
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by rkovars »

It is incorrect and should be changed. EDIT - They have some issues going on with the site. That statement only shows up on the blue model for me (it is equally wrong there FYI). When you look at the feature list for the black one the lume lines are removed (at least for me they are).
Jack London