Buying a spare bracelet?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
diciannove79
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 0

Buying a spare bracelet?

Post by diciannove79 »

This is a two part question, but I'm hoping your experience can help inform my decision and knowledge. Here are my two questions:
1. How long do stainless steel watch bracelets generally last (assuming general daily wear, i.e., not necessarily "hard" wear like diving)?
2. Have you ever purchased a spare bracelet in case your current bracelet needs replacement in the future (and the model is out-of-production)?

I am one of those weirdos that has settled on a "one watch" for my daily wear (I know -- I must be insane). It's a C65 GMT that my wife gifted to me as a 40th birthday present, and it's since been worn during some major events in my life (e.g., wedding, birth of first child, etc.). While I love looking and admiring different watches, I feel so connected to the C65 and find that it meets about 95% of the situations in my life. I'm planning to wear it as long as it runs. The only other watch in my collection is a G-Shock that I wear when I expect to be in the water or plan for more rough activities.

I have the older C65 bracelet (i.e., non quick release), and I'm wondering if it's worthwhile for me to pick up a new quick release bracelet as a spare. I don't know if I'm overthinking it, but it seems like a good way to ensure that I'll always have a bracelet for the watch, even if it eventually gets discontinued.

Am I wasting money or is this a reasonable thing to do? I appreciate any and all advice! :)

EDIT: I should probably add that I have a few CW leather straps for more dressy occasions. Though I really prefer the look and feel of metal bracelet for daily wear.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Re: Buying a spare bracelet?

Post by jkbarnes »

If you were to get a new quick release bracelet, I would encourage using that as the daily bracelet with the original set aside as the back up. Why? Well if this has emerged as your daily wearer, the QR bracelet would allow to swap it out for various straps as the mood caught you. You can wear the same watch but still mix things up. The C65 GMT looks wonderful on a variety of straps!

EDIT: It’s only a waste of money if you think it is. That being said, I can’t imagine a bracelet failing short of some catastrophic accident. For what it’s worth, my Mk 1 C65 Trident Vintage does not have a quick release bracelet. If the new QR bracelets fit it, I would seriously consider getting one and setting the original bracelet aside, primarily for the convenience of the QR.
Drew
monkeymax
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by monkeymax »

Hello!
This question feels like it ties very well in with the model longevity thread recently posted! :lol:
( viewtopic.php?f=1&t=55332 )

So, I'm going to start with saying my choice would be like yours - to buy another bracelet. I have a couple of >10 year old CW Kingfishers that I'd love a bracelet for but the current bracelets apparently don't fit. I've managed to source an older CW C60 bracelet for one of them, but not the originally designed bracelet for the watch. The one I do have was bought second hand and has scuffs and scratches which aren't mine. To be honest, while not perfect it also meant I enjoyed the bracelet straight off without babying it so it was probably ideal for my needs. I'm still on the look out for another bracelet! So I'd suggest if you think you want one, get one while you can. Especially as the quick release would be like an 'upgrade' so you can do some strap changes easily if you wanted to (though it's relatively easy even without that).

The counter argument is an answer to your first question about their robustness. I recently inherited an old watch with a ~50 year old bracelet. Granted it hasn't been used for the last ~30 years, but it has been used, and has taken everything it was given and I'm told that it wasn't carefully used! There's a pin and collar missing now so it's in a few pieces, but probably repairable. If I really wanted to (I don't, as it's not original and I don't like it!) I could fix the pin & collar issue, and even repolish and brush the polished and brushed bits of metal. That's the advantage of these bracelets (well, unless they're shot blasted like the Kingfisher ones) in that they can be brushed and polished back to close to their original state.

But on the flip side, I do think there is something to be said for each scratch and ding being part of your story with the watch.

Edit: jkbarnes posted while I was typing - his thoughts are similar to mine but more succinct! :lol:
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

monkeymax wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:57 am Edit: jkbarnes posted while I was typing - his thoughts are similar to mine but more succinct! :lol:
I always laugh when similar posts pass in the ether of the interwebs!
Drew
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

Here are some pics of my C5 Malvern aviator that I wore 365 days a year from 2009-2017, before I started expanding my collection and rotating. The bracelet is just fine now 11 years on and with plenty of use. I see no reason to spend money on a spare bracelet.

However, the QR bracelet upgrade would be a great idea. Perfect for switching out different straps easily and quickly.

AB848834-C0F2-4DA6-B539-E0252EE64686.jpeg
EFAC9B0C-AA65-421C-A5BA-009C614AB1FA.jpeg
201625B4-1931-49E9-BC33-64E6BC8D23D4.jpeg
C0ADF538-8521-42BA-ADF9-58DF0A5530F9.jpeg
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

I'll let someone else drop in with certainty. I would verify C65 fitment with the new QR bracelets. If it's an older model the QR version may not work. I know this is the case for the C60 line....the QR bracelet only fits the MK3 version
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

jkbarnes wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:52 am If you were to get a new quick release bracelet, I would encourage using that as the daily bracelet with the original set aside as the back up. Why? Well if this has emerged as your daily wearer, the QR bracelet would allow to swap it out for various straps as the mood caught you. You can wear the same watch but still mix things up. The C65 GMT looks wonderful on a variety of straps!
I agree with this. Some months ago I bought the QR bracelet for my C65 Trident Diver. I had real difficulty getting the original bracelet back onto the watch when changing straps. The new one is very easy, it takes a couple of minutes.

I didn’t keep the original bracelet, as a friend on the forum had a use for it.

The bracelet is designed for the C65 Trident Diver range, so it should certainly fit your watch. Mine is the original hand wound, but the GMT came out quite soon afterwards with no case alterations.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by StrappedUp »

Viognier wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:24 am I'll let someone else drop in with certainty. I would verify C65 fitment with the new QR bracelets. If it's an older model the QR version may not work. I know this is the case for the C60 line....the QR bracelet only fits the MK3 version
On the C60s, it doesn't fit because the mk3 case is different to the mk2. The C65 case hasn't changed and therefore the QR bracelets are most definitely compatible.
Ryan
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

StrappedUp wrote:
On the C60s, it doesn't fit because the mk3 case is different to the mk2. The C65 case hasn't changed and therefore the QR bracelets are most definitely compatible.
Correct and agreed.

Just be careful that you get the C65 Diver/GMT/Automatic/SH21 bracelet and not the one for the AM GT / Chronograph.

Whilst they will fit onto any C65, the lug profiles and case heights are different and they don't match up 100%.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:51 am
StrappedUp wrote:
Correct and agreed.

Just be careful that you get the C65 Diver/GMT/Automatic/SH21 bracelet and not the one for the AM GT / Chronograph.

Whilst they will fit onto any C65, the lug profiles and case heights are different and they don't match up 100%.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk
Correct me if I’m wrong, but it is specifically the C65s with the light catcher, not C65s across the board.
Drew
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

The idea of obtaining a backup prior to a range being discontinued is sound thinking. However the light catcher C65 case is 1 of the more recent of CW's recent releases and IIRC CW aimed to produce and limit the new cases in their range of watches to about 3.

So is it likely that the standard C65 bracelet will become unavailable anytime soon?

The best reason for buying now has already been stated, i.e. for the QR facility, and for that to become the "in-use" bracelet with the presently owned to become the back-up. Or try to sell that 1 and buy 2 x QR bracelets if funds allow ?
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Mikkei4 wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:33 pm The best reason for buying now has already been stated, i.e. for the QR facility, and for that to become the "in-use" bracelet with the presently owned to become the back-up. Or try to sell that 1 and buy 2 x QR bracelets if funds allow ?
That depends to some extent on the user. Admittedly, the OP suggested it was his main, if not only, watch.

My own C65 is part of the main group of four, and also spends a lot of time on a leather strap. For me, having two bracelets would be a little excessive.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Viognier »

StrappedUp wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:33 am
Viognier wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:24 am I'll let someone else drop in with certainty. I would verify C65 fitment with the new QR bracelets. If it's an older model the QR version may not work. I know this is the case for the C60 line....the QR bracelet only fits the MK3 version
Good clarification for the OP (and me) thank you!
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by rkovars »

I agree with the other forum members who say that it depends greatly on whether or not you want to swap out straps with regularity (in my opinion the C65 GMT looks great with a variety of straps). The new QR bracelet cuts the time and effort in the process considerably. I've got both versions - my GMT has the older style and my Dartmouth has the new QR bracelet so I didn't have to buy a second. Just as a side note, the older bracelet is a little different in style. The center links are thicker on the non-QR version and add a bit of dimensionality to the bracelet. The QR versions are more uniform.

Hope you can see the difference here:
20201110_153939134_iOS (2).jpg
20201110_154210590_iOS (2).jpg
It would also depend on how hard you are on the watch. I wore my GMT-Master 1675 for 25 years straight before getting a second watch. I wore it everywhere and doing everything. The bracelet is fine. A little stretched but not noticeable. Correct sizing goes a long way to preventing bracelet stretching and modern manufacturing is light years ahead of what is on that GMT-Master. I am not sure that wear and tear would be my primary reason for a second bracelet.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:05 pm
Mikkei4 wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:33 pm The best reason for buying now has already been stated, i.e. for the QR facility, and for that to become the "in-use" bracelet with the presently owned to become the back-up. Or try to sell that 1 and buy 2 x QR bracelets if funds allow ?
That depends to some extent on the user. Admittedly, the OP suggested it was his main, if not only, watch.

My own C65 is part of the main group of four, and also spends a lot of time on a leather strap. For me, having two bracelets would be a little excessive.
Totally agree in your situation. My comments were particular to his question and weren't suggesting that everybody needs to buy a second bracelet. I should have put "you" between the "for" and "buying" to make it clear.

If the OP is minded to buying another (new) bracelet it'll have QR facility and having got used to the convenience of that he might not want to go backwards as such by having non-QR, hence my other comment.