Model longevity and watch obsolescence?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: Model longevity and watch obsolescence?

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I just made this observation on a different thread.

From looking at the Archive, it does seem as though one particular collection is going through the roof in terms of new models, while others appear to be going through the floorboards.

Now, whether this is a conscious narrowing of focus, or a response to demand (or lack of demand) I do not know. It does seem a little lopsided at the moment. :problem:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:32 am I just made this observation on a different thread.

From looking at the Archive, it does seem as though one particular collection is going through the roof in terms of new models, while others appear to be going through the floorboards.

Now, whether this is a conscious narrowing of focus, or a response to demand (or lack of demand) I do not know. It does seem a little lopsided at the moment. :problem:
Oh, I postulate response to demand. It seems all customers think about these days is tool watches, particularly dive watches - "I'm sporty, me". Same trend in cars, saloons are out SUVs are in.

I am coming to loath dive watches, though I won't be parting with the ones I already have since the reasons for owning them still hold good. On a positive note, the SH market for "dress" watches (normal watches in old money) is lots of inventory, no matching demand. Goody gumdrops :)
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
Amor Vincit Omnia

H0rati0 wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:18 am Oh, I postulate response to demand. It seems all customers think about these days is tool watches, particularly dive watches - "I'm sporty, me". Same trend in cars, saloons are out SUVs are in.

I am coming to loath dive watches, though I won't be parting with the ones I already have since the reasons for owning them still hold good. On a positive note, the SH market for "dress" watches (normal watches in old money) is lots of inventory, no matching demand. Goody gumdrops :)
That first part did make me smile, but I think it’s true. I noticed that, with the exception of the moonphase watches and the world timer, the C1 Grand Malvern range seems to have slipped off the website. I’ve not heard any talk of new models in that range. It will be interesting to see whether anything new does appear in the dress/classic collection in the near future.

Dive watches: I don’t hate them, I have a couple, including a CW which I love. To judge from some SOTC posts, there are clearly people who like them a whole lot more than I do. Fair enough. I commented the other day that I really like the new C60 BLUE. However, nice as it is, I already have something that is blue and submersible, so what box does it tick? It kind of brings the argument around full circle. Yet another pretty, colourful dive watch. Must get it. So the pretty, colourful dive watch I already have is now surplus to requirements. Sales Corner. Or it sits in a box. Until the next pretty, colourful dive watch comes along.

Sorry everyone, I know I’m being a cynical old grump today. Truth is I have a collection I’m pleased with and I don’t really want to add to it right now.
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:05 pm Sorry everyone, I know I’m being a cynical old grump today.

This statement along with similar sentiments expressed by others in this thread (myself included) has me thinking that age is definitely a big factor in this. Sounds like a number of us have matured into a different set of values in our purchasing...and are maybe aging out of CW’s target demographic?
Drew
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

jkbarnes wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:39 pm
Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:05 pm Sorry everyone, I know I’m being a cynical old grump today.

This statement along with similar sentiments expressed by others in this thread (myself included) has me thinking that age is definitely a big factor in this. Sounds like a number of us have matured into a different set of values in our purchasing...and are maybe aging out of CW’s target demographic?
I think it's not just a matter of age, in truth the situations where dress/classic (good label Steve) watches are naturally appropriate seem to diminish by the month given that so many previously formal occasions are now casual and that's before the current insanity where nobody can go anywhere.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
Amor Vincit Omnia

Thanks, that dress/classic isn’t my label. We use it in the Archive and I think CW used it for a while on the website.

I’m not completely sure that the argument about having appropriate occasions to wear such a watch holds water (excuse the pun).

I was wearing a dive watch the other day. I’ve never gone diving in my life. Last time I was in the sea or an outdoor hotel type swimming pool was before the first lockdown. I’ve been swimming quite a bit at the gym before they closed it again, but I don’t wear a watch in the pool.

Similarly, I haven’t been to a concert, the theatre or a decent restaurant for months. I still like wearing the watches though. I’ve been wearing my Cartier at home for a couple of days. I don’t need an occasion to wear it. It goes just as well with jeans and a sweater or T-shirt as it does with a suit and tie.
Steve

albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

This old fart (me not AVO) has never really been a fan of dress watches although there are always exceptions to any rule.I don't go diving since even the sight of a small boat makes me sick and I am a scruffy bugger who thinks that wearing a dive/sporty watch is appropriate for any occasion. Horses for courses applies here methinks (or to use the modern vernacular YMMV :D :D ).
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by exHowfener »

As always, some interesting views. I'm definitely into grumpy old man territory (I used to be a grumpy young man) but, you know what, I don't really care if people wear dress watches, divers and so on in 'different' circumstances. Clearly personal choice is just that - persona. Let's be honest, very few dive watches ever go diving and the only real reason to wear one in a swimming pool is a) because you can and, b) so no one steals it while you are swimming. But hey, if you want to collect dive watches even though you can't swim go ahead - you aren't hurting anyone.
Before the Great War, wrist watches were regarded as effeminate but the practicalities of trench warfare changed that. Things change and that's OK. As long as you aren't hurting anyone else, do what makes you happy and don't take too much notice of what others think, it really doesn't matter.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
jimbo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jimbo »

H0rati0 wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:26 pm

I think it's not just a matter of age, in truth the situations where dress/classic (good label Steve) watches are naturally appropriate seem to diminish by the month given that so many previously formal occasions are now casual and that's before the current insanity where nobody can go anywhere.
Speak for yourself, I wear my Tux to the beach ! :)
Remember...your left hand has the thumb on the right hand side
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:34 pm Thanks, that dress/classic isn’t my label. We use it in the Archive and I think CW used it for a while on the website.

I’m not completely sure that the argument about having appropriate occasions to wear such a watch holds water (excuse the pun).

I was wearing a dive watch the other day. I’ve never gone diving in my life. Last time I was in the sea or an outdoor hotel type swimming pool was before the first lockdown. I’ve been swimming quite a bit at the gym before they closed it again, but I don’t wear a watch in the pool.

Similarly, I haven’t been to a concert, the theatre or a decent restaurant for months. I still like wearing the watches though. I’ve been wearing my Cartier at home for a couple of days. I don’t need an occasion to wear it. It goes just as well with jeans and a sweater or T-shirt as it does with a suit and tie.
Steve

I very much agree that one doesn't need an occasion to wear any watch, but I think that a lot of people don't buy dress/classic because they don't really specifically use them any more eg how many people wear a suit to work nowadays compared with 30 years ago? For many, casual/relaxed dress covers the vast majority of working or leisure days and they don't need a watch to slip under a cuff.

I own two divers (a Citizen (solar) as backup for my computer and a C60 bought for but too nice for diving) and I do wear them for whatever - just as well since I get no opportunity to dive these days :( Likewise I like to wear my dress/classics casually - I too think they work well - that's why they're classics - and I tend to prefer them to chunky casuals.

Note to self, must dig the Citizen out for a NCWOTD and a sunbathe.
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

jimbo wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:08 pm
Speak for yourself, I wear my Tux to the beach ! :)
Oh, I have been known to take my DJ* diving....

*Datejust