C60 Abyss SH21 now on the website

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
CBMVic20
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 3

Re: C60 Abyss SH21 now on the website

Post by CBMVic20 »

Not into PVD finishes or the Abyss range but this one kinda works for me. I like it.

That height though, I'd be worrying whenever I check the time in case a bird swoops down to perch on the dial :-k
CW C9 SH21 | C60 Apex SH21 | C65 SH21
Ernst Benz Chronoscope DLC
Oris WilliamsF1 Day Date 2004
Phoibos Leviathan DLC
Seiko 5 Sports Orange "Baby" Monster
Tag Aquaracer | F1 Panda

Too many watches, not enough time :(
Squalus
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 6

Post by Squalus »

I like that more of the movement mechanicals are visible on the dial side. Being a techie, that's a big plus for me. The bezel styling being similar to the C60 Sapphire's bezel is a nice touch but I would like it more if it was machined stainless steel, with the matching coating. A brushed surface with a peened track (just like the Sapphire's bezel) would look amazing.
BarnabyNutt
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 2

Post by BarnabyNutt »

It's a no from me.
Shouldn't dive watches be easy to read?
alansmithee

Post by alansmithee »

BarnabyNutt wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:00 am It's a no from me.
Shouldn't dive watches be easy to read?
It's a desk diver - I don't think CW make any claims it's anything more than a Diver style watch - sure in theory you could go down to 600m with it but anyone doing that is going to use a dive computer....
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by StrapMeister »

Not for me either - to busy and not very legible.
...and, as far as price is concerned, way toooo pricey!

IMO, it seems that CW have forgotten their roots with regards to value for money, and are now trying to compete with the likes of larger more established brands, e.g. ORIS.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

StrapMeister wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:15 pm IMO, it seems that CW have forgotten their roots with regards to value for money, and are now trying to compete with the likes of larger more established brands, e.g. ORIS.
I totally understand what you are saying, Nigel, but there are of course two sides to that one. I have said recently that I would love to see them produce something really iconic that establishes brand status and model longevity.

But you don’t do that unless you are ambitious. I assume that 0RIS was a small company to begin with. I believe they only just survived the quartz crisis, but they have clearly made a few right moves since. Why therefore should CW not aspire to do the same?

Some of those earlier models were undoubtedly excellent value, but they have had to move on and look up.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by StrapMeister »

Hear what you're saying Steve :thumbup:
...and was interested in the thread you started about CW producing something really iconic that establishes brand status and model longevity.

I have to confess to preferring some of the older models* that CW produced as opposed to some of the newer offerings.
*Simple in their design, excellent quality and finish, at a great price.

Yes, there's nothing wrong with regards to CW aspiring to move up and be ambitious.
They certainly have upped the stakes in their designs, finish and quality (which comes at a price).
BUT, when you start creeping up to the £2000 mark there's ALOT of competition from other brands.
...An extra few hundred quid on top and you're into Tudor Black Bay territory which has the iconic status.

The reason I mentioned ORIS specifically was it wouldn't surprise me if they are keeping close tabs on CW (picked up on a comment made at the Bristol GTG) as they feel that CW are now competing in their market.
sjbroadhead
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 1

Post by sjbroadhead »

I really like the look of this and did think twice on the price. Let’s say there’s a 15% off coming up, is ~£1,700 expensive nowadays for an in house movement and all the features this watch has?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by TheBeatles »

sjbroadhead wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:02 pm
is ~£1,700 expensive nowadays for an in house movement and all the features this watch has?
Yes, for any watch with zero legibility!!
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
richtel
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 8

Post by richtel »

TheBeatles wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:08 pm
sjbroadhead wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:02 pm
is ~£1,700 expensive nowadays for an in house movement and all the features this watch has?
Yes, for any watch with zero legibility!!
I'm sure they'll sell, just not to us old codgers who can't read them :lol:
Rich

"The bad news is that time flies. The good news is that you're the pilot."
sjbroadhead
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 1

Post by sjbroadhead »

Yep take your point. You don’t like the watch but if it was to your taste, with an in house movement including those features, is £1,700 over priced these days?

Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Kansas City Milkman wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:56 pm Does anyone know if there are any reviews (and extra real world photos and video reviews) due out? I’m thinking WIAA, W&W Etc etc. I really want to like it, but currently find it too busy. My hope is that real world images persuade me otherwise......

Anybody in the know?
I'm not 'in the know' and have been looking around for the same this evening.

So far, there are a few 'Reviews' that are really only rehashes of CW's information with CW supplied photos, even a youtube review (got my hopes up) with a montage of CW photos. :(

The best I think you'll do is the Video on CW's website for the Abyss range; the SH21 Abyss features around 26 secs in.

sjbroadhead wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:28 pm Yep take your point. You don’t like the watch but if it was to your taste, with an in house movement including those features, is £1,700 over priced these days?

Nope, I don't believe it is. :wink:

I think it would be interesting to compare it against a C40 Speedhawk IPK and it could be an appropriate brother to a C60 Apex. :wink:

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

Thanks Guy. I've been similarly trawling the Internet every few days and have only seen the same CW produced images. Will wait to see if any reviews or real world images appear, but my hopes of a genuinely legible face (like the original) are very slim.
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

Has anyone seen a proper review of the Abyss SH21, with real world photos, out there on the inter web? A couple of weeks on I’m still only seeing CW’s official pictures recycled........thanks
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Kansas City Milkman wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:32 pm Has anyone seen a proper review of the Abyss SH21, with real world photos, out there on the inter web? A couple of weeks on I’m still only seeing CW’s official pictures recycled........thanks
Still negatory as far as I see too. :(

However, I've been in contact with Declan @ CW about a Virtual Showroom appointment to see the C60 Abyss SH21.

CW have none in the house at the moment, but are expecting stock in 'at the end of the month'. Declan has made a diary note to contact me once stock has arrived to arrange a Virtual Showroom appointment.

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England