C65 Chronograph - New Release October '20

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: C65 Chronograph - New Release October '20

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Thermexman wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:19 pm At the risk of being controversial...
I like it...a lot.
Then you know what to do! :thumbup:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by stefs »

Thermexman wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:19 pm At the risk of being controversial...
I like it...a lot.
So do I.
Really nice

Edit... Ouch, just seen the price. Wasn’t expecting that!
Cheers now, Paul
nathanclarinet
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by nathanclarinet »

I like it, looks quite retro and is blue so works for me. But sadly not at that price.....
Davy Crockett
Senior
Senior

Post by Davy Crockett »

Sorry but doesn't do much for me, but each to their own and keeps life interesting!

I'd rather have a C60 Abyss and cash for another CW! \:D/
Thunder1
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12

Post by Thunder1 »

Rat finks!!..I was hoping for something a lot closer to the Oris 65 chrono...oh, well..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a lowcut dress that zips up the side..neither gets the love that they deserve..
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

This is what I was hoping was going to be an ideal alternative for me to buy instead of a more expensive blue Omega Speedmaster or Seamaster. Ultimately only a visit to the CW showroom will confirm whether it is or not but presently my views are towards the negative.

On first view I liked it but then the more I look at it the more I think that yet again CW have included too much rather than follow “less is more” thinking.
A tachymetre and a dive bezel?
An orange main second hand when there are already red accents on the dial?
Minute markers on the dial and the bezel?
Different colour pips used across the 10minute markers.

In addition to the above the movement being similar to a 7750 causes a bit of additional thickness and then there’s the price of £1800 on the bracelet.

Definitely a visit to the showroom required to check it on the wrist.
monkeymax
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 3

Post by monkeymax »

I was looking forward to seeing something like this, and I do really like this... but as it's well out of my price range my opinion probably doesn't matter! :lol:

Sadly, I feel that as a yacht regatta watch they've made quite a misstep; I think they just added colours to the sub-dial without understanding why they are traditionally there. In sailing racing you have a countdown timer. So in my dinghy racing days* we'd have a beeper/buzzer at 10,5,3,2 and 1 minutes before the start and then on the start of the race. Then your stop watch starts counting up. On this watch, you start the stop watch but it counts up from 0, and your race starts at the 10 minute mark which is odd.
Great idea, but poorly executed. There have been some great ways of dealing with this problem in the past and it's a shame they didn't look some of those techniques.

*Granted, I used a relatively cheap Casio for this as I've lost a couple to the depths of the water, but this is less likely to be an issue with yacht racing. (Though I've had a watch get beaten up the couple of times I've been yacht racing too!)
monkeymax
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by monkeymax »

Sorry for the double post, but I sound like I'm really rubbishing the watch in my last post. O:) I didn't mean to - but just feel that something simple like a bezel that could rotate both ways and had the 10 min countdown timer in a different colour on there would've actually worked really well and functioned as a regatta timer.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

jtc wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:10 pm
Viognier wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:59 pm IMO it is no busier, dial wise, than a Zenith El Primero Tri-Colour or Hamilton Pan-Europ. I like it and excited to see first picture of it on a forum member's wrist
I think it's the addition of the bezel and second markers that make it look far busier than, for eg, the El Primero

Screenshot_20201029-170750__01.jpgScreenshot_20201029-170756__01.jpg

The CW's second hand is more form over function given the girth vs those second markers.
That’s it exactly! Lose the bezel our move the tachometer to the bezel and off the dial and I think it’d have a different opinion.

When I heard about the imminent release of this AFTER I purchased my C65 AM GT LE I had a bit of buyer’s regret....not anymore.
Drew
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:11 pm I couldn't logically say the dial is too busy...I have a couple of C70s! :lol:

Not one that stirs my blood especially, though.
I think there’s a whole different vibe to the C70s that negates the business of what’s going on....at least it does for me.
Drew
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

I like it...a lot.
I don’t think there’s anything controversial there. I think this watch falls squarely into the “personal tastes” realm. It’s not like I think it’s an ugly watch. I’ll be the first to admire it on someone’s wrist and compliment the watch. It’s just not for me though, you know?
Drew
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by timor54 »

monkeymax wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:01 pm I was looking forward to seeing something like this, and I do really like this... but as it's well out of my price range my opinion probably doesn't matter! :lol:

Sadly, I feel that as a yacht regatta watch they've made quite a misstep; I think they just added colours to the sub-dial without understanding why they are traditionally there. In sailing racing you have a countdown timer. So in my dinghy racing days* we'd have a beeper/buzzer at 10,5,3,2 and 1 minutes before the start and then on the start of the race. Then your stop watch starts counting up. On this watch, you start the stop watch but it counts up from 0, and your race starts at the 10 minute mark which is odd.
Great idea, but poorly executed. There have been some great ways of dealing with this problem in the past and it's a shame they didn't look some of those techniques.

*Granted, I used a relatively cheap Casio for this as I've lost a couple to the depths of the water, but this is less likely to be an issue with yacht racing. (Though I've had a watch get beaten up the couple of times I've been yacht racing too!)
I used a similar style chrono (a Heuer believe it or not :oops: ) as a yacht race timer for quite a few years. Whilst it worked, it was less than ideal as after the five minute gun when things start to get frantic it took an awful lot of concentration to keep track of the final countdown.

I ended up swapping to a Timex Ironman which was far better for the task...

I wouldn’t read too much into the CW description, basically just marketing b*ll#@ks
Tim
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

jkbarnes wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:20 pm When I heard about the imminent release of this AFTER I purchased my C65 AM GT LE I had a bit of buyer’s regret....not anymore.
I think that’s a fairly common feeling, Andrew. Especially when Model X is soon followed out of the traps by Model X+, then Model X++ and so on.

I had that when I bought my blue C65 Diver. It was followed by the automatic version, then the SH21. I’ve still just got the original and I’m happy.

I am learning not to be influenced by the Next Big Must-Have.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
monkeymax
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by monkeymax »

timor54 wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:30 pmI used a similar style chrono (a Heuer believe it or not :oops: ) as a yacht race timer for quite a few years. Whilst it worked, it was less than ideal as after the five minute gun when things start to get frantic it took an awful lot of concentration to keep track of the final countdown.

I ended up swapping to a Timex Ironman which was far better for the task...

I wouldn’t read too much into the CW description, basically just marketing b*ll#@ks
Yeah, you're right. When you really get into the melee, a chrono just doesn't work. I liked the Casios as they beeped differently for the different number of minutes, so I never had to look at the watch while looking around myself.
Fortunately (?) I've never been a great sailor so would usually still cross the line a good few seconds late anyway. :lol:

Agreed, it's marketing b*ll**ks, but I think it's a massive mis-step. A 600m C60 will so rarely be taken to those depths, but it can go should one wish.
An £1800 chrono will probably never be used in anger on a racing yacht, but it would've been nice if it actually could've been used easily for that. Granted, it kind of can, but I really think they could've put a bit more thought into it.

Anyway, as I said earlier, it shouldn't really matter to me as it's way more than I'd spend at the moment on a watch.
Commisar
Senior
Senior

Post by Commisar »

JAFO wrote:I think I would prefer it without the red and blue bands on the chrono minutes counter. I think you need an hour's counter at this price point, not just 30 minutes. Either on the same dial as the minutes (like speedmaster racing), or on a separate subdial. I really prefer not to have screw down pushers on a chrono. Also not on the crown ideally, although I can take that.

Other than that, very pleasant. Would be equally good with a white/silver dial and blue subdials. ( Or indeed other colourways)
An hour counter gets pretty hard to read tbh.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk