Bracelet for a C65 Trident Classic Limited Edition?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
wimbouman
Junior
Junior

Bracelet for a C65 Trident Classic Limited Edition?

Post by wimbouman »

Hello forum!

I was trying to change the worn out original strap of my C65 Trident Classic Limited Edition.
I tried three Strapcode bracelets, none would fit.

Upon further inspection, we noticed that the original straps' springbars were bend, and that leather was kind of wrapped around the case.
That flexibility is something a bracelet cannot offer, so sadly no replacement possible.

Any tips, techniques and advice appreciated!

Am I doing this wrong?
Is it possible to change the strap for a bracelet?

Thx,
Wim
wimbouman
Junior
Junior

Re: Bracelet for a C65 Trident Classic Limited Edition?

Post by wimbouman »

.... Had some trouble posting the images.
here they are!
Attachments
IMG_3062.jpeg
IMG_3061.jpeg
IMG_3060.jpeg
JAFO
Senior
Senior

Post by JAFO »

I doubt it. if a straight spring bar won't fit between the lugs, you won't get a bracelet fitted. I have a Raymond Weil watch with two sets of holes. One set fits a leather strap like yours, and needs curved spring bars. The other set is further away from the case and accomodates other straps. Maybe a watchmaker could drill you some holes that would accept a straight spring bar.
richtel
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by richtel »

Curved end straps were fitted originalls to both the C60 and C65 to clear the edge of the case and provide a more fitted appearance- the curved spring bars were clearly needed to fit th contoured strap. Other straps with straight spring bars will fit, but sometimes depending on the thickness of the strap at the ends might catch on the case.

The 43mm C60 mk2 bracelet will fit fine on there , straight spring bars and all!

They certainly do crop up for sale periodically.
IMG_2764.JPG
wimbouman
Junior
Junior

Post by wimbouman »

JAFO wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:11 pm
I doubt it. if a straight spring bar won't fit between the lugs, you won't get a bracelet fitted. I have a Raymond Weil watch with two sets of holes. One set fits a leather strap like yours, and needs curved spring bars. The other set is further away from the case and accomodates other straps. Maybe a watchmaker could drill you some holes that would accept a straight spring bar.
Hi, thanks for your help!
The new springbar does fit, however the straight end of the new bracelet does not.

The idea of drilling holes is certainly worth exploring!
I'll update here if my favourite watch maker can do that.
wimbouman
Junior
Junior

Post by wimbouman »

richtel wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:13 pm
Curved end straps were fitted originalls to both the C60 and C65 to clear the edge of the case and provide a more fitted appearance- the curved spring bars were clearly needed to fit th contoured strap. Other straps with straight spring bars will fit, but sometimes depending on the thickness of the strap at the ends might catch on the case.

The 43mm C60 mk2 bracelet will fit fine on there , straight spring bars and all!

They certainly do crop up for sale periodically.

IMG_2764.JPG
Hello! And thanks for the answer, it helps a lot indeed.
So the curved bars are original, and indeed the case and a straight end link do clash :(

I will see if I can get a mk2 bracelet indeed (or try the extra set of holes).

I also asked Support to see if there is a CW supported fix.
Fat-Sam
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 1

Post by Fat-Sam »

Maybe use a smaller spring bar- I got a box of springs bars of all sizes for about a tenner and sometimes find a slightly smaller one works on watches like this

Alternatively search for other curved spring bar straps- I’m sure some of the bigger strap companies would have something But not sure about bracelets unless you go milanese

I got a leather strap made by yellowdog straps a few years back for a Jeanrichard that had curved spring bars
I never had the makings of a varsity athlete...
CW Dartmouth (blue)
Omega Seamaster Deville 1961 (Gold)
Omega Speedmaster 2018 (Mitsukoshi dial)
DIY Watch Club Diver (black)
Raymond Weil Toccata
G shock GW-M5610 (black out)
SevenFriday P1/01
MarkingTime
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by MarkingTime »

Don't ruin the case by drilling unnecessary holes, just fit the correct bracelet.

I know a man that has one and if you need it I can create a post in the for sale section.
gaf1958
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

As above, the correct C60 MkII bracelet fits, using straight spring bars. Get hold of one of those, don’t try to get a different set of holes drilled - that will most likely lead to ruining a perfectly good watch, as it’s not something that can be lightly undertaken - it’s actually more difficult than it sounds.
CWL C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+C15+3xC60T+C65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 10xSpeedy+6xSeamaster+Connie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+4xFarer+2xOris+3xMagrette+12xSeiko+3xVtg
B&R+2xHalios+Doxa+3xVisitor+TagH+Tissot+3xDiRenzo+4xZelos+more
Family 12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
wimbouman
Junior
Junior

Post by wimbouman »

MarkingTime wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:08 pm
Don't ruin the case by drilling unnecessary holes, just fit the correct bracelet.

I know a man that has one and if you need it I can create a post in the for sale section.
I just learned CW does not have the springbars and strap, nor the beacelet.

This does freak me out a bit.

If CW does not support its classics like these Tridents, how on earth will they become a trusted watchmaker?
Beats me.

So, yes - any help with finding the correct bracelet at the right length would be greatly appreciated!
wimbouman
Junior
Junior

Post by wimbouman »

Fat-Sam wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:53 pm
Maybe use a smaller spring bar- I got a box of springs bars of all sizes for about a tenner and sometimes find a slightly smaller one works on watches like this

Alternatively search for other curved spring bar straps- I’m sure some of the bigger strap companies would have something But not sure about bracelets unless you go milanese

I got a leather strap made by yellowdog straps a few years back for a Jeanrichard that had curved spring bars
Milanese might be an idea indeed.
Sadly I just bought some Strapcode bracelets :(

Following your advice, I searched and found some Miltat iirc straps with and for curved springbars.

Still, suddenly not happy with my CW purchase.
wimbouman
Junior
Junior

Post by wimbouman »

gaf1958 wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:46 am
As above, the correct C60 MkII bracelet fits, using straight spring bars. Get hold of one of those, don’t try to get a different set of holes drilled - that will most likely lead to ruining a perfectly good watch, as it’s not something that can be lightly undertaken - it’s actually more difficult than it sounds.
I will look out for one of those.
My watchmaker was not happy at all with my request for holes.
‘Refused bluntly’ is a more precise description :)