Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Blackdog
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

MOD endorsement of the Military Series.

Post by Blackdog »

As a recent owner of a Dartmouth I'm just curious here:

What’s the scope of the MOD endorsement of the Military series ?

Are any of these watches actually issued to the MOD ? Or is it just a nod to use the badges on the back by being compliant to some specs ?

One of the staples on the older RN watches has been the fixed lug bars, which the Dartmouth clearly doesn’t have…

Does anyone know ?

Thanks for the enlightenment.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: MOD endorsement of the Military Series.

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

As usual...

The answer is in the CW Archive, that famous encyclopedia of all things CW.

Extract from the Archive description
Military (Open Series)
Licensed by the UK’s Ministry of Defence to produce watches bearing the insignia of the Royal Navy, British Army and Royal Air Force for the general public and consisting of three models – one for each Service – that all take design inspiration from watches historically commissioned for the personnel of each force, with their names taken from associated famous military academies, which are the principal officer training facilities for each Service.

The Britannia Royal Naval College is situated at Dartmouth in Devon; the Royal Military Academy is at Sandhurst in Berkshire; and the Royal air force College is located at Cranwell in Lincolnshire.

In 2020, an additional watch was launched as a tribute to the Royal Marines. This watch uses the C60 case and is named after the Royal Marines training facility at Lympstone, Devon.
So, it does not appear that the Services are buying them to issue.
Steve
The half minute which we daily devote to the winding-up of our watches is an exertion of labour almost insensible; yet, by the aid of a few wheels, its effect is spread over the whole twenty-four hours.
Charles Babbage

@Avo238
Blackdog
Senior
Senior

Post by Blackdog »

Thanks for the reply.

So it's just a license to use the names and images, no specific criteria or specifications to comply with, as they are just for the civilian market.

Interesting... I wonder what the MOD gets out of the licensing agreement...
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 27
LE-two: 1
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1
LESeven: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:37 pm
So, it does not appear that the Services are buying them to issue.
Correct Steve.

If they were the watch/es would be issued with a NATO Stock Number (NSN), which is then marked on the watch.

A word of warning; the presence of a NSN on a watch, or any other item, is no guarantee that the watch has been issued to Military personnel. It is merely a seal of approval issued, in UK, by the Ministry of Defence. The supplier/manufacturer then has to convince the relevant Service (Army, Air Force, Navy) to buy the item.

Thus, there are a variety of watches with NSNs that have never seen the shelf of a Quartermaster's Store.

Blackdog wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:51 pm
Interesting... I wonder what the MOD gets out of the licensing agreement...
As with all Licensing Agreements I would assume there is a monetary fee involved.

Guy
C4&W7 BBMF| C5 BOB LE| C5 FLE| C7 MkI 47AD| C7 MkII Harrier| C8 MkI| C8 Reg MkII| C8 M2.04 LE| C8 PR
C9 FLE| C9 Me109 SPC LE| C11 Mak Navy| C20 FLE| C40 x2| C60 K'fisher| C60 FLE x2
C60 Bronze| C60 Apex-Elite GMT| C65 S'hurst-Diver-GMT-AM GT| C1000
jimbo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jimbo »

I suspect that anyone can put a name to anything, after all "Lympstone" is actually a place as are the others. So they could name a boot that if they wished and I suspect there is nothing the military could do about it.

I think the agreements come in when they use cap badges, emblems, corps crests etc....

For me a "pussers" arrow "^" on the watch would mean that it has more than likely been "nicked" from a store :) ..... or "OI forgot to hand it in when I left!" :)
Remember...your left hand has the thumb on the right hand side
exHowfener
Junior
Junior

Post by exHowfener »

Pretty much what others have said:

I'd assume that the licencing agreement is for the use of the crests on the case back. Yes, they could have used the names - Lympstone is a very attractive village on the Exe estuary, but without the RM connection I doubt it would resonate with many people outside the area.
I don't think that anyone would believe that in this day and age the MOD would issue mechanical watches as quartz are both cheaper (the main factor) and more accurate.
Despite the impression some retailers give, a NATO Stock Number is simply a catalogue number and is used for a lot of items, basically EVERYTHING that may be used by the military and held in stores has one, though it is often on the packaging rather than the item itself.
While 'fixed lug bars' would lend an air of authenticity, I don't think they would appeal to the broader market, who generally seem to see NATO straps as a fashion accessory, so it's probably a sound marketing decision not to fit them.
Blackdog
Senior
Senior

Post by Blackdog »

Thanks for all the replies. It's perfectly clear now.

Frankly, I bought the Dartmouth for it's specific design aspects, as the most attractive (to me) iteration of the C65 diver. Certainly not for Royal Navy factor.
And yes, I much prefer the normal spring bars. Fixed would only make sense on a vintage piece, IMO.

I was just curious about the extent of the RN "connection". Thanks again for your replies.
JAFO
Senior
Senior

Post by JAFO »

Fixed lug bars would be a real guard agaInst actual loss though, wouldn't they. With removable lug bars, you would have to lose both bars to lose the watch, although it would dangle if it lost one. With fixed lug bars, there's little likelihood of loss which makes a lot of sense in a military environment.