How about a dedicated ladies CW?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
DaveTucker
CW-watches: 3

How about a dedicated ladies CW?

Post by DaveTucker »

Please correct me if I'm wrong if CW have done this, but isn't it about time (no pun intended) that CW did a watch dedicated to women? I know that diving, motor sport, aviation are not male specific, but what about dedicating an aviator to Emilia Earhart, or a dive watch to Dr Sylvia Earle etc etc etc?
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Re: How about a dedicated ladies CW?

Post by kiter65 »

You are about 5 years to late....check archives :D
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

You may wish to see here as to why the ladies collection was discontinued.

Although the topic is 5 years old, it is an interesting discussion at how the CW Ladies Collection was viewed by members. I made a statement on page 2 that was the answer I was given by Christopher Ward himself at that time. I think the time for a watch such as you are looking for is likely not to going to happen from CW, but never say never.

If you want to view the ladies watches from the past you can view them in the CWArchives.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

I see @DaveTucker's question differently in that he is, I believe, not asking about Ladies Watch by CW but "a watch dedicated to women?"

To me, its a great idea.

However, my recollection is that CW have only done one watch that has been dedicated to a person which is the C8 Al Deere TMB LE, beyond this, any other watch that has been 'dedicated' has been to a car/plane i.e. the C70 DBR1 or C8 M2.04.

Notwithstanding, there is perhaps still room for dedicated watches with one being worked on at the moment, as a bespoke edition, to commemorate Sir Frank Whittle, designer of the Jet engine.

For the future, who knows?

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by kiter65 »

Please correct me if I'm wrong if CW have done this, but isn't it about time (no pun intended) that CW did a watch dedicated to women?
[/quote]

How can that not be directed at CW ?
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

DaveTucker wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:08 pm Please correct me if I'm wrong if CW have done this, but isn't it about time (no pun intended) that CW did a watch dedicated to women? I know that diving, motor sport, aviation are not male specific, but what about dedicating an aviator to Emilia Earhart, or a dive watch to Dr Sylvia Earle etc etc etc?
I believe that a kind of dedication to Amelia Earhart was made with the introduction of the W11 Amelia. Although she is not referenced in the manual, I seem to remember (and perhaps others with better memories could back me up) that there was a reference on the website and possibly in whatever magazine or catalogue was around at the time. The coincidence of the release date is certainly striking. Here is what we wrote about it in the Archive Description.
Introduced in September 2012, the W11 Amelia is a 38 mm quartz watch whose design derives from the C11 MSL.

In the early years of CWL, it was not uncommon for a major new release in the men's collections to be followed by a ladies' version based upon the styling but with a quartz movement, in a smaller size and with and a more overtly feminine design and colour palette.

The name is an obvious reference to the American pioneer aviatrix Amelia Earhart (1897-1937) who became the first female to fly solo across the Atlantic in 1928 and who disappeared over the Pacific in 1937. The production date of the Mk I version marks the 75th anniversary of her disappearance.

THe Mk II version, introduced in September 2013, features added minute markers and skeletonised hands.
Full Archive reference.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Thanks, scooter. An excellent second reference point to back up the Archive.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
DaveTucker
CW-watches: 3

Post by DaveTucker »

I can see that CW have indeed dedicated a watch to a lady, but not recently. So maybe it's about time for another. Perhaps CW could poll forum members for suggestions.....