Discuss Christopher Ward watches
drand
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 1

Trident 300 MK2 battery replacement

Post by drand »

Hello all

I need to get batteries replaced on my two quartz Trident 300s. I always have my batteries done by an ex-colleague but he says he doesn't have the tooling to open the case, with its circular indentations.
Christopher-Ward-C60-Trident-300-Back.jpeg
Clearly many people will have had their Tridents opened, so is it just a case of my friend lacking the relevant kit (probably), or are these case backs really unusual? I would like to avoid trawling round places so an idea of whether I need to check with them beforehand would be useful.
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Re: Trident 300 MK2 battery replacement

Post by JAFO »

Maybe they could just use the soft rubber ball gizmo. Try googling rubber ball friction watch case opener.
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

PS. I don't think these are necessarily a gimmick. I am sure I saw a video by TGV visiting a Swiss watch atelier, and they were using these to open case backs. Definitely won't scratch the case.
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

I use one too. They are all over Amazon too.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
drand
Guru
Guru

Post by drand »

Thanks everyone for the tips. I'll have a look.
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

Here is the one I got:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0058 ... UTF8&psc=1

Isn't the cheapest but doesn't feel cheap either. Based on the reviews some feel very flimsy. This one is nice thick rubber.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by tikkathree »

JAFO wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:45 pm Maybe they could just use the soft rubber ball gizmo. Try googling rubber ball friction watch case opener.
Some of the new watches I've owned or bought pre-owned have had the backs torque'd down so tight that squash ball or any kind of ball surely wouldn't move them. Actually using the correct tool with the circular pins required for these backs has taken a considerable amount of force.

To the OP I think my advice is that you take the watch to some place where you'll pay a modest amount to avoid the risk of anyone scratching the case back with the wrong tool or the tool jumping out of the drive sockets. Or maybe you talk with your friend about buying hte correct tool and letting him borrow it?

I prefer to hold the watch face down in the cupped palm of my hand; it may absorb a bit of the turning force applied through the tool but it makes me careful 'cos if the tool slips I get it in the hand:silent:
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

I have this type of case wrench. It comes with a case of different shaped inserts to match most case back holes. You can align the three points as well to ensure a good fit and minimal chance of slippage in the right hands.

For the princely sum of £3.99 you could always buy one and gift it to your friend as a thank you for his skills over the years and for the money he’s saved you in trips to the jewellers.
0A88330B-6BA8-4B77-B226-928F3523714B.jpeg
Here’s a link to one in amazon. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Opener-Adjusta ... 0513777107
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by exHowfener »

There's a satisfaction in being able to do stuff yourself; using the correct tool will always save damage to either your watch or yourself. Unless designed to be easily changed (e.g. CWC) I take my quartz watched to Timpsons (UK company) and take out their lifetime cover where they will replace the battery for the lifetime of the watch. I think others have mentioned this on the forum in other threads, the longer you keep the watch the better value it becomes. Just don't lose the card.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
drand
Guru
Guru

Post by drand »

Thanks again for your opinions. I have ordered a friction ball, mostly because I am intrigued by how well it might work.

If it doesn't do the job then I'm happy to take go to a jeweller's, I was slightly concerned the case back is unorthodox and thus would have to try several places. But no-one has said that is true, so I'm happy it won't be a problem.

And my friend has been rewarded with the delivery of a couple of pallets for winter firewood, so he's happy regardless.
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

If you use the wrench that Iain showed, you can put a piece of plastic sheet, such as a bank coin bag between the tool and the watch case, to prevent scratches. I actually have one of these that came with a cheap chinese tool set, parts of which haven't been used, and parts of which were pretty useful.