Old previous discontinued collections

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
GregM

Old previous discontinued collections

Post by GregM »

Hi all,

I never owned a Christopher Ward and I want to do so I can my own idea on the quality of the products.
However, I got highly interessted in a discontinued collection... :problem: :problem: :problem:

So my questions for you are:

- Is Christopher Ward "relaunching" previous collecions sometimes?
- If yes, which collection they already relaunched? And how often it happened?
- If not, what would be your advices on "how to purchase a watch from a discontinued collection"?

Thank you in advance for your answers
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Re: Old previous discontinued collections

Post by Kip »

The only relaunch of prior models that I can recall is the C4 Peregrine. This can be viewed in the https://cwarchive.knack.com/cwarchive#m ... WArchives.

Originally launched in 2006 and discontinued in 2011, a cache of 200 cases was discovered in 2015. New dials were made and they were sold at the original 2006 price. This relaunched model was dubbed the Phoenix by forum members.

I cannot recall any other models that have been relaunched. What models have have you become interested in?
These users thanked the author Kip for the post:
tikkathree
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
GregM

Post by GregM »

Thank you Kip for sharing this,
I feel like I will not hope on a potential relaunch then.

I am interested in two models actually.
The first one is the C1 Grand Malvern Jumping Hour
https://cwarchive.knack.com/cwarchive#m ... 7a9875224/

The other one is the C9 (900) World Timer
https://cwarchive.knack.com/cwarchive#m ... 60ce114c4/
But this one has kind of a equivalent model with the C1 Grand Malvern WorldTimer with that GMT complication on 24hours but I confess I am much more attarcted to the airport code window of the C9 (900)...

And I am starting to really thinking of purchasing the C60 Trident Bronze...
MarkingTime
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 4

Post by MarkingTime »

Your best option is eBay.

Take your time to understand how it works if you have never used it before and do some research.

Firstly, use the search feature to find out the sold price of the watches that you are interested in, this will give you a good idea of the ballpark price to be paying and don't be afraid to make a cheeky offer, you never know your luck.
GregM

Post by GregM »

MarkingTime wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:33 am Your best option is eBay.

Take your time to understand how it works if you have never used it before and do some research.

Firstly, use the search feature to find out the sold price of the watches that you are interested in, this will give you a good idea of the ballpark price to be paying and don't be afraid to make a cheeky offer, you never know your luck.
Thank you for the tips!
But I live in Canada and unfortunately it is not a popular brand here... so not too much people wear CW and even less are selling their timepiece... :(
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Thinking about the original question...

Some models and brands, especially from the high end manufacturers and the usual suspects to include Rolex, Omega and so on, often have collections or lines of watches that are so well established that they have been available for many years with only cosmetic changes or something a little different under the bonnet. So in a sense those collections are both old and continuous. CW can’t/doesn’t fall into that category.

Some manufacturers, such as Longines, have often released collections based on their historic designs going back as far as the 1930s or perhaps even beyond. It’s a stylistic continuum, but often a very different watch with a much bigger case and a modern movement. In order to re-launch something based on a line from the 1960s, for example, you had to have been established back then. The C 65 divers, for example, claim to reflect the style of the 1960s, but clearly it has to be other brands’ styles. CW as a company is only 15 years old, so let us say that it is in the process of building its history. I get the sense that the future is perhaps a little more important than the past, however, and I don’t say that in a critical or uncharitable way...you have to move with the times in that sector of the market.

Interestingly, and I have alluded to this elsewhere, early CW models tended to have a longer period in production than some of the more recent offerings. The C5 Mk1 was in production pretty much unchanged for seven years, the 595 appears to have lasted two years. The first Trident was in production for over five years, and the Mk2 for around four years. The Mk3 has been around for about 16 months, and it will be interesting to see how long it goes without a major re-draft.

But of course, companies who manufacture things have to tread a fine line between making what will sell and selling what they make. Do your research and know your customers.
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
albionphoto
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
GregM

Post by GregM »

Hi Everyone,

A little bit of an update here. I know I might be dreaming, but anyway, I wanted to share it.

Surfing on Christopher Ward's website, I have found a page talking about the JJ calibers. What a surprise to read that the JJ01 (jumping hour module I am looking for) is "currently temporarily retired".

I have been working in marketing, I know exactly what that sentance means, but it is always good to hope a little bit :D
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by 0uatiOW »

Get involved in a few threads and you’ll soon be able to get into Sales Corner, then you can post a WTB (“Want to Buy”) for a Jumping Hour. This is as likely a place as any of unearthing those hard to find models.

I was offered a C1 JH earlier in the year, so they do come up now and again.
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
pizza_dog
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 1

Post by pizza_dog »

Instead of searching eBay.ca, try eBay.com or eBay.co.uk. I have a saved search with alerts set up for a discontinued CW I'm looking out for on all of those. Shipping and taxes might get expensive, so make sure to figure out all the extra costs there before pulling the trigger.
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by exHowfener »

To be blunt, if you want to assess the quality of CW (or anything really) then you need to be buying or at least looking at, their latest products. Any other approach is a bit like assessing (say) the quality of a current Volkswagen by driving an air-cooled 'Beetle'.
To my mind. the absolute bargain (with a discount code) is the Sealander. If you want a discontinued model, then eBay is your ally if not exactly a friend.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

GregM wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:40 pm Hi all,

I never owned a Christopher Ward and I want to do so I can my own idea on the quality of the products.
However, I got highly interessted in a discontinued collection...
If a discontinued model is what you seek, eBay is likely your avenue to find one. My entry to Christopher Ward was via a used watch, which I liked for its style. Only a year later I purchased my first new C Ward watch based on my experience with the first one. I like a mix of their models across the years.

Incidentally, my first CW was purchased from a Canadian in AB. ;) I had no trouble buying it and having it delivered to me here in the US. I’ve bought two other Christopher Ward watches from Canada. Sorry if I’ve bought up your local supply. :D
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
pizza_dog
Junior
Junior

Post by pizza_dog »

The Facebook group "Christopher Ward Enthusiasts" is another good resource for older models. Someone just posted a C9 Jumping Hour for sale there this morning.
These users thanked the author pizza_dog for the post:
GregM
GregM

Post by GregM »

pizza_dog wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:29 pm The Facebook group "Christopher Ward Enthusiasts" is another good resource for older models. Someone just posted a C9 Jumping Hour for sale there this morning.
Thank you for the tip, I'm going to check this :D
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

^^^ That was nearly a year ago. I’d be surprised if it was still there.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Richard D »

There is always Ward Hoard. https://www.wardhoard.com/watches
These users thanked the author Richard D for the post:
tikkathree
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’