eBay experience

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Will_75

Re: eBay experience

Post by Will_75 »

I enjoy buying and selling on eBay. Never had a bad experience as a seller and only ever had in issue as a buyer.

PayPal’s pay after 14 days option work brilliantly for buyer peace of mind, and in this case eBay refunded me directly when the seller stopped communicating.
MarkingTime
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by MarkingTime »

H0rati0 wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:36 am
Depending on value and brand, Chrono24 is becoming a serious alternative for watches. I like that you can negotiate directly and the escrow service for abstracted payment which works well both ways.

These days there are usually a number of CWs up, though asking prices are generally steeper than ebay uk.
Is that due to commission fees?
wanged

Post by wanged »

As a buyer your biggest concern from eBay is getting a fake. Luckily that doesn't seem to be a problem for Christopher Ward
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by TheBeatles »

MarkingTime wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:11 am

It is quite a common thing these days, to have non paying bidders and worse. It's a society thing and appears to be acceptable to an increasing number of people. It doesn't help that eBay or the authorities are not remotely interested in small scale fraud either.

Regarding eBays take on this, the are only interested in profit and will quite happily turn a blind eye to fraud, so long as the money keeps coming in.

With that said, eBay remains the best market place to sell used items, with a few caveats included. It is imperative that you follow their policies for the full protection that eBay affords sellers, such as it is, but there is always risk involved in distance selling to complete strangers. Buyers are far better protected.

Paypal fees are just over 3% of the total transaction and unless you happen to list during an eBay fee promotion period, they will sting you for 10% of the total transaction cost. So you might be looking at just over 13% in total fees for the sale, which is not insignificant when selling a watch in the hundreds of pounds value bracket. Factor this in!

The biggest downside is that there is always the remote possibility that you may get scammed out of your watch, it's fairly easy to do and there isn't much you can do about it. If it happens, unfortunately, as previously mentioned, the authorities, eBay and Paypal will be less than interested and you will be left with a bitter pill to swallow.
I was quite happy selling on eBay until I read this. Bit scary in some ways. Even tho I’ve had no problems myself, it does reiterate the risks involved.

I’m waiting for another offer before putting up a couple (a CW and another brand). By then the above post will have faded from my memory. Maybe I should just bite the bullet and sell on here. Both watches are quite desirable, at least in my opinion. I think my aversion to pics was from some years ago when posting pics was a bit of a faff and I never really got around to it.
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels - Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love - The Beatles
JAFO
Senior
Senior

Post by JAFO »

I haven't sold on eBay, but I have bought a fair bit, including jewellery and watches.. It always surprises me that sellers don't automatically want to use RMSD or an equivalent fully insured and trackable service. The cost of this is reasonable until you go above 2500, and unless you have a very heavy box. As a buyer I would rather pay for the security of such a service. I imagine frequent sellers can get even cheaper rates.
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by H0rati0 »

MarkingTime wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:58 am
H0rati0 wrote:
Depending on value and brand, Chrono24 is becoming a serious alternative for watches. I like that you can negotiate directly and the escrow service for abstracted payment which works well both ways.

These days there are usually a number of CWs up, though asking prices are generally steeper than ebay uk.
Is that due to commission fees?
I don't know why for sure, but Chrono24 charges 6.5% all in, so about half ebay+paypal. I suspect prices are just marked up to allow for negotiation, in my experience most sellers are reasonably flexible.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
Dayglow_01

Post by Dayglow_01 »

H0rati0 wrote:

I thought about Chrono 24 and saw that there were a few CW's on there. I wasn't sure if it would sell to be honest with you.
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

Dayglow_01 wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:35 pm
H0rati0 wrote:

I thought about Chrono 24 and saw that there were a few CW's on there. I wasn't sure if it would sell to be honest with you.
I used to track CW on there and they do shift, it helps to price competitively of course. However, while ebay is quicker you end up with less realised after fees so depends on your timescale. To illustrate, earlier this year I had a pocket watch up simultaneously on both platforms and ebay came in ahead: via a BIN + best offer the sale took about three weeks IIRC, so a fair comparison I feel.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
Dayglow_01

Post by Dayglow_01 »

MarkingTime wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:11 am
Dayglow_01 wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:30 am
Hello everyone

I'm new here and would ike to know what your opinion is on selling CW watches in eBay?

I realise this forum has a sales section but I am nowhere near the 30 posts required to access it and have no intentions of posting 30 random comments.

I recently listed a CW for sale on eBay, all was well until it came to the buyer sending payment. As you can probably tell this did not go well and I now have to wait for the resolution process to complete before I can relist. This is where I'm after your thoughts. Have I just been unlucky or is this a common occurrence for higher value items?

The only reason I am selling it is because I've had my head turned and want another CW.

Sent from my MAR-LX1B using Tapatalk
It is quite a common thing these days, to have non paying bidders and worse. It's a society thing and appears to be acceptable to an increasing number of people. It doesn't help that eBay or the authorities are not remotely interested in small scale fraud either.

Regarding eBays take on this, the are only interested in profit and will quite happily turn a blind eye to fraud, so long as the money keeps coming in.

With that said, eBay remains the best market place to sell used items, with a few caveats included. It is imperative that you follow their policies for the full protection that eBay affords sellers, such as it is, but there is always risk involved in distance selling to complete strangers. Buyers are far better protected.

My tips...
Provide honest and accurate descriptions.
Take as many good quality, multiple angled shots of the complete watch and all accessories included in the sale, as you can. Twelve is the limit for free photos when listing.
Do not get involved in any conversations via messaging regarding alternative contact methods or try to take the sale off of eBay.
Photograph and weigh your package, record serial numbers and only use a fully tracked delivery service. Royal Mail Special Delivery would be my recommendation.
Paypal fees are just over 3% of the total transaction and unless you happen to list during an eBay fee promotion period, they will sting you for 10% of the total transaction cost. So you might be looking at just over 13% in total fees for the sale, which is not insignificant when selling a watch in the hundreds of pounds value bracket. Factor this in!

The biggest downside is that there is always the remote possibility that you may get scammed out of your watch, it's fairly easy to do and there isn't much you can do about it. If it happens, unfortunately, as previously mentioned, the authorities, eBay and Paypal will be less than interested and you will be left with a bitter pill to swallow.

Armed with the cold hard facts, you can now decided on how to go about selling your watch and in spite of the above, I'd still recommend eBay.
Thanks for the advice, all things considered I will probably use the 2nd chance option once I can close the unpaid case with eBay. The previous bid was only £10 shy of the winning one.

I suppose the thing that annoys me the most is that personally I don't see the point in placing a bid if you have no intention of completing. The buyer knew what they were getting in to prior as I had stated how the item would be shipped and provided a full description with photo's that included defects.
Andy-Smith
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 15

Post by Andy-Smith »

I tried to buy a new watch on Chrono24. The new Hamilton PSR LED, a pre-order. I committed to buy at the stated price (a well known store in Germany) my offer (the stated price} was excepted and about a week later they cancelled my order. Lucky me then bought it from Francis Gaye in the UK with 20% discount. Also bought most of my 20 or so CW watches on eBay with no problems. Accurate seller description is one of the most important aspects for a good transaction. Prices on eBay at the moment are pretty high so not really good value.
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

Andy-Smith wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:01 pm
I tried to buy a new watch on Chrono24. The new Hamilton PSR LED, a pre-order. I committed to buy at the stated price (a well known store in Germany) my offer (the stated price} was excepted and about a week later they cancelled my order.
Interesting. Did they give a reason?
MarkingTime
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by MarkingTime »

Andy-Smith wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:01 pm
I tried to buy a new watch on Chrono24. The new Hamilton PSR LED, a pre-order. I committed to buy at the stated price (a well known store in Germany) my offer (the stated price} was excepted and about a week later they cancelled my order. Lucky me then bought it from Francis Gaye in the UK with 20% discount. Also bought most of my 20 or so CW watches on eBay with no problems. Accurate seller description is one of the most important aspects for a good transaction. Prices on eBay at the moment are pretty high so not really good value.
Very true, the Covid effect I believe, lots of people with more time on their hands, working from home.

A great time to sell and not only watches either...
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by TheBeatles »

TheBeatles wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:55 am

I’m waiting for another offer before putting up a couple (a CW and another brand).
In case anyone is interested, there is currently a £1 selling fee offer on eBay over this weekend.

I put up a couple yesterday and both sold last night.
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels - Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love - The Beatles
Dayglow_01

Post by Dayglow_01 »

So the watch has now sold and been paid for.

I used the second chance offer on eBay and offered it to the last highest bidder. This offer was not taken.

I relisted the item using the exact same listing as previous and I suppose in a twist of fate ended up with far more than what I was expecting.

Onwards to the CW website now a new piece.

Thanks for all comments, it was much appreciated

Sent from my MAR-LX1B using Tapatalk