A (virtual) showroom visit and some CW gossip

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

A (virtual) showroom visit and some CW gossip

Post by albionphoto »

2020 has been "the year of suck". I would normally visit the UK in November and I always make a point to visit the CW showroom. I won't be doing either of those things :( :( I'd heard about the virtual showroom from Guy's post:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=54756&p=822362&hili ... om#p822362

And from the recent interview with Mike France on Watch Pro. So I booked a showroom visit. I didn't see a button to say whether this should be a virtual visit or not and so just in case I emailed Declan to make sure he knew it would be a virtual visit. On the day of the scheduled visit Declan sent me a direct Zoom link and the show began...

Guy's post details the set up much better than I could. Declan was his usual very professional and charming self. He was able to show me a number of watches including both Super Compressors, the C60 Elite GMT and the Ombres. The colour fidelity was very good and the connection was mostly stable with only a bit of a slowdown for a few seconds. If the watch thing doesn't work out for Declan he has a great future career as a stage magician. He can change a quick release strap or bracelet in seconds and make it look easy. (I wonder if he does card tricks too?)

The overall experience was easy to use and very useful. The official announcement of the Virtual SHowroom seems to have been put back to make space for the latest releases and there is no official start date for this service. There have, however, been a few virtual visits and the current best practice seems to be to book a visit by the normal route and then email Declan separately to ensure that he knows that this will be a virtual visit. When the service goes live there will be a button on the visit booking screen to allow you to nominate this as a virtual visit. Kudos to CW for introducing this as it will be very helpful for a lot of folks.

There are three downsides to this as far as I can see:
1 - It's not an in person visit,
2 - I had to make my own coffee
3 - Declan is very good at what he does and is a real asset to CW. He's also a very, very, very bad influence. Did I buy something? Well you'll have to check the reviews of CW watches sometime in the future to find out.

Finally some bits of gossip
The C60 Lympstones are slowly trickling in from Switzerland. They should be sent out at the end of September. The sample Declan showed me looked great even if it's not necessarily my thing.
The service department has re-opened and they have taken on an extra member of staff.
2020 was supposed to be the year of the chronograph. I think it's safe to say it will be the year of the chronographs.

Sorry for the long post but I hope you enjoyed it.
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Omega, Orion, Oris and Seiko
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Re: A (virtual) showroom visit and some CW gossip

Post by albionphoto »

And I forgot to say...
In general the 40mm watches have been a huge hit. The 42mm watches are also selling well. The success of the 40mm has really slowed sales of the 38mm. Draw your own conclusions.
Mark
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by albionphoto »

And another thing...
On the basis of recent showroom visits the blue Super Compressor has been the most popular with 8 sales of the blue to 1 sale of the black sand.
I really must not start threads late at night.
Mark
Tortoise
CW-watches: 6

Post by Tortoise »

Thanks for sharing ... enjoyed the read, especially the gossip! :lol:
Looking forward to seeing what you may have been tempted by..
Ian
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Excellent, Mark. Thanks for sharing your experiences and information.

I have drawn three conclusions from that. I won’t be specific because I’m sure other people will draw the same ones. Two are about the possible content of future sales. The third is about you, and we will await further news on that one.
Steve
The half minute which we daily devote to the winding-up of our watches is an exertion of labour almost insensible; yet, by the aid of a few wheels, its effect is spread over the whole twenty-four hours.
Charles Babbage

@Avo238
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by albionphoto »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:06 am
Excellent, Mark. Thanks for sharing your experiences and information.

I have drawn three conclusions from that. I won’t be specific because I’m sure other people will draw the same ones. Two are about the possible content of future sales. The third is about you, and we will await further news on that one.
Hmm... I wonder if I should be worried about your third conclusion?
Mark
Devarika Woulf
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by Devarika Woulf »

albionphoto wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:49 am
And I forgot to say...
In general the 40mm watches have been a huge hit. The 42mm watches are also selling well. The success of the 40mm has really slowed sales of the 38mm. Draw your own conclusions.
:lol: I called just that exactly a year ago. While I know some people need a 38mm, most men & women are fine with 40mm. And though I do think 38mm is great for vintage-inspired pieces, 40mm honestly works just as well and is more accepted. :-k
-Joseph
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by albionphoto »

^^^^^ Joseph
Indeed. I'm happy with 42mm as long as the lug tip to lug tip is below 50mm but I am well aware that everyone is different. It might take a while for the 38mm size to die and they may not go truly extinct but be a very restricted choice in the future. I think this was inevitable as soon as the C60 range was expanded to three sizes and CW saw how the sales of each range shifted.
Mark